Owners of Phones Using Andriod Software Be Warned

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Owners of Phones Using Andriod Software Be Warned

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:As I said there have been several vulnerabilities with the iPhail that Apple have tried to keep quiet.
Err have you read the article Xac, where does it say or suggest that Apple have tried to keep anything quiet? :roll:

It does however say "To date Apple's biggest security threat has been to the minority of its devices that have been modified.

So-called jail-broken handsets appeal to more tech-savvy users who want to introduce non-Apple approved software to their handsets.

However, many experts believe Apple's app store is still more secure than many of its rivals'.

"The Android marketplace has a supply chain that is rather less controlled and therefore offers more potential to malware writers,"

Get over your prejudice Xac and try reading the facts for once in your life, the report clearly states that Android based phones are more vulnerable.

Who cares that you prefer an "Honestly They're Crap" phone to an Apple Phone? :roll:

As for suggesting "We could burn hippies instead" words fail me :evil:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
Xac wrote:As I said there have been several vulnerabilities with the iPhail that Apple have tried to keep quiet.
Err have you read the article Xac, where does it say or suggest that Apple have tried to keep anything quiet? :roll:

It does however say "To date Apple's biggest security threat has been to the minority of its devices that have been modified.

So-called jail-broken handsets appeal to more tech-savvy users who want to introduce non-Apple approved software to their handsets.

However, many experts believe Apple's app store is still more secure than many of its rivals'.

"The Android marketplace has a supply chain that is rather less controlled and therefore offers more potential to malware writers,"

Get over your prejudice Xac and try reading the facts for once in your life, the report clearly states that Android based phones are more vulnerable.

Who cares that you prefer an "Honestly They're Crap" phone to an Apple Phone? :roll:

As for suggesting "We could burn hippies instead" words fail me :evil:
Sorry Richard, is it ok for you to warn people about the security risks of Android phones, but not OK for others to warn people about the security risks of Apple products?
As an Apple product user, I suppose you've been informed by Apple of this malicious app already?
How about the other vulnerabilities that Charlie Miller has brought to Apple's attention? Go on, list them if Apple have made their existance publicly known.
If you want to sit in your ivory tower and believe you are invulnerable that's fine, but I will not have people misled by you, and I know all joking aside you wouldn't want that either.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are you two having another domestic?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:Are you two having another domestic?
Look, he called out someone else's name last night, I think I have the right to be miffed.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Re:

Post by DickieG »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Xac do you think its best for me to retire to my ivory tower and hope you're not setting fire to any Hippies underneath it in your crusade to avoid anyone being mislead by me :lol: :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Re:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Xac do you think its best for me to retire to my ivory tower and hope you're not setting fire to any Hippies underneath it in your crusade to avoid anyone being mislead by me :lol: :roll:
Thing is, proper hippies are so hard to get these days. They rarely turn up on ebay in any useful numbers.

DIY sphere tool
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hippies seem to be a dying breed-having spent too much time hugging trees. :-D

I have an iphone 4- to me it is a good bit of kit, a mini pc in your pocket. It is also an iPod, which with over 1000 music tracks on it, was handy when I was a trucker. None of the tracks were purchaded from itunes- for me, thats where Apple fall down- greedy gits. Want it all.
However, when I was working at my last firm, all the drivers who bought Android phones all had to put antivirus software on them. Not yet so with Apple. Android is completely open source, whereas IOS 4 and 5 is relatively restricted by Apple. Obviously that could change, but Apple would still try to keep their stranglehold over it's apps and itunes products, because to them, it means money.
When I was looking at all types of phones before plumping for the iphone, I had heard some build quality issues with HTC,- with Samsung you never seem to go straight to where you want, always seem to have to do another keystroke to get there. I found this with the D901i and Wave2.
I am more than happy with my phone, so if one wants a far bigger chance of getting a nasty on their phone, get android, lol.
I need to make a cover for the joypad on this laptop==I keep on touching it when typing, causing myself problems I don't need, lol. Always use a usb mouse- never liked joypads

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The advantage of android over ios is that really android is a mini PC, taking on the role that Microsoft deserted when they cancelled Windows Mobile. Neither lacked basic features required to be a pocket PC.
The market has a reactive response to malware, something which I can see changing, relying on the information you are given about an app to stop you installing any malware.
I've been using android for about 2 years now and never come across any malware apps.
It's like with PCs, I can't remember ever infecting my computer with a virus, but I know plenty of people who have simply because they don't think when they use the internet.
To my knowledge there are no live worms for android, only trojans, so you actually have to install the trojan to be infected, just like the undetected malware on Apple's appstore.
The difference is, there are detection programs you can install for android, yet I know of none for ios.
Each to their own, iphones are perfect for many. I just object to people trying to make out they are the best device available and find Apple'e business and moral practices quite disgusting.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:Each to their own, iphones are perfect for many.
:-D :lol: :-D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Removing the pee taking and wind-up's from the debate, you're a strange one Xac, you describe Apple's business and moral practices as quite disgusting yet champion a Microsoft based product, have you forgotten about the record $1.4bn fine that Microsoft had to pay for anti-competitive behaviour and the $290m fine for patent infringement earlier this year? Surely with your moral crusade for truth and justice you'd wish to balance the debate by highlighting Microsoft's corrupt practices?

Could it be the case that these nutter's that send out Viruses, Malware, Trojans or whatever they're called direct their malicious attention almost entirely towards the company that's viewed by them as being big and evil, i.e Microsoft based products?

The basis of the two BBC reports state the the Android issue is real and has already happened which why Police are investigating, whereas the Apple product report relates to a bloke who has been working for several years to prove that Apple products are not immune from Malware, no damage was done to anyone's personal property in the second report. In order to design a program he needed to pay a fee to Apple which by its very nature means he's potentially traceable through banking and had his Apple account closed immediately when it was discovered what he had done. Whereas with Android as its software is uncontrolled anyone can get straight in there and design all manner of malicious software then disappear into the night, the market then has to react by shutting the door after the horse has bolted, where's the advantage in that?

Clearly no computer program is immune from a nutcase with malicious intent but it appears that the facts laid out by experts state that Apple ios is far less likely to suffer a virus than Android.

What with you working with computers I'd have thought you would have known that programs/app's are available for iPhones such as this one. No Worms on Andriod? take a look at this.

People moan about iTunes and so on but AFAIK when Steve Job's laid out his plans for iTunes he had all manner of resistance from record companies and artists complaining that he was selling their music too cheaply, clearly he saw a massive gap in the market place and has changed the way people buy forever, are music companies complaining now? From a personal point of view I've been very grateful for iTunes allowing me the opportunity to buy single tracks of music rather than whole albums, its saved me a fortune, no-one forces anyone to buy their music from iTunes, its a personal choice, if you want whole albums buy a CD, I can't personally see what the problem is.

As I understand it you've only got to open a malicious email and your equipment is infected, by your own admission you are very careful when using computers as you work with them for a living, so I'm rather surprised that you send out out all manner of doom and gloom messages that Apple are immoral, their products are poor and more vulnerable to Malware etc yet just a quick Google search on the subject suggests otherwise. Clearly Apple must be doing something right otherwise they wouldn't be the second largest company on earth, OK so you don't like Apple, I and many others do so move on.

You've been banging your drum a little too much on this subject and coming across as somewhat bitter towards Apple and their products, might that give you a clue as to why I keep dropping little pebbles then watching the ripples :wink: :lol: :-D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

To my knowledge, Microsoft paid their fines.
Where they've wanted the technology of others they've generally bought the other company, or entered into licensing agreements, as they did with Apple.
Where they fell foul was writting their applications to detect it wasn't running on a MS operating system and so not work fully, not release certain code from MS DOS to their competitors to prevent them writting 100% compatible DOS, such as DR DOS (lets not forget DR were offered the contract with IBM first but didn't want to sign a NDA and so missed out).
With regards to the anti-trust cases, are you sure you want to bring that up as an example of how not to do things?
Afterall, the main issue was that with MS including IE with their OS, they were stiffling competition from other browsers such as Nutscrape at the time.
Tell me, doesn't Apple do the same thing? Don't they push Safari with OSX? Don't they deny the use of adobe flash in IOS due to Adobe producing products for non-apple computers?
Apple are being investigated in Europe over anti-competative practices where they have been abusing the legal system to stiffle competition such as the recent case in Spain which was thrown out and now Apple is being sued for damages.
Rather than produce a superiort product, they have threatened other tablet manufactures with legal action even when there is blatantly no case to answer as the Spanish case showed.
Enjoying the ability to send files to your IOS5 device over wifi? It's a stolen application. It was submitted to the appstore several years ago and rejected, so the developer's only form of income for it was the jailbrake market. Now Apple have stolen it and given him no credit for his work. They've even used practically the same icon. Likewise with Delicious Library. People assumed that Apple had paid them for the design of the book app. It was news to DL's CEO.
There are many other apps which people have spent time developing in their bedrooms only to have them stolen by Apple and of course, being just a bloke rather than a large corporation you don't have the resources to sue Apple. Siri was lucky in that it is not just an app but relies on back end servers (similar to Google and I believe MS's speach services) so couldn't just be ejected from the appstore and stolen (remember it used to be available to all iphones not just the 4S).
Morally, do you really want to go there with a comparision between Apple and MS? OK.
In the 90's Steve Jobs cancelled all of Apples philanthropic projects due to financial difficulties. After being bailed out by Microsoft, developing "pretty" overpriced computers and devices (often without paying to use the technology, while claiming they invented it) they managed to get enough isheep to end up with more money than the US treasury. Yet still those philanthropic projects remain cancelled.
Pop over to see Bill Gates, and through the Gates Foundation nearly as much money as the annual WHO budget is given to world wide health care projects, and will do so until the fund runs out of cash long after the Gates have passed away.
Many deprived schools in the US were also donated new computers and software at the cost of millions from Microsoft.
Lets also not forget that prior to the iphone4 release, Apple abused it's position on a Californian task force to have a journalist's house raided and arrested for reporting details of a lost phone he had been passed, despite such actions by the reporter to be totally within US law.
Apple haven't been paying to use 3G technology owned by Samsung, and are refusing to pay despite the technology being made available to them under FRAND terms.
Apple has, with the help of isheep and a bit of gloss and spin, made itself out to be this whiter than white company, David against Microsoft's Goliath, when that isn't the case. They're ruthless, hypocritical and underhand. Their factory workers still have a high suicide rate despite assurances that Apple would improve their conditions.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:To my knowledge, Microsoft paid their fines.
Did they have any choice if they wish to continue trading in Europe?

Surely you're not suggesting that having been found guilty in a criminal court that as long as you pay the fine it allows the guilty party to restore their honour :shock: or are your moral's so low that you honestly believe such claptrap? :roll: [-X If so then we each have very different standards on that front, clearly you haven't met up with victims of crime like I have to understand the devastation they feel.
Xac wrote:Where they've wanted the technology of others they've generally bought the other company, or entered into licensing agreements, as they did with Apple.
Where they fell foul was writting their applications to detect it wasn't running on a MS operating system and so not work fully, not release certain code from MS DOS to their competitors to prevent them writting 100% compatible DOS, such as DR DOS (lets not forget DR were offered the contract with IBM first but didn't want to sign a NDA and so missed out).
With regards to the anti-trust cases, are you sure you want to bring that up as an example of how not to do things?
Afterall, the main issue was that with MS including IE with their OS, they were stiffling competition from other browsers such as Nutscrape at the time.
Tell me, doesn't Apple do the same thing? Don't they push Safari with OSX? Don't they deny the use of adobe flash in IOS due to Adobe producing products for non-apple computers?
Stick to the facts Xac, Microsoft were found guilty, have Apple been prosecuted for the same offence? If so please reveal all, if Apple or any other company or person are found guilty of criminal acts I take a very dim view of them as well, not that it changes anything in the debate as I was merely questioning your championing of Microsoft in light of their record fines.
Xac wrote:Apple are being investigated in Europe over anti-competative practices where they have been abusing the legal system to stiffle competition such as the recent case in Spain which was thrown out and now Apple is being sued for damages.
Rather than produce a superiort product, they have threatened other tablet manufactures with legal action even when there is blatantly no case to answer as the Spanish case showed.
As you know Apple, Samsung, HTC and whoever else anyone cares to mention have all submitted claims and counter claims about patent infringements there are so many going on ATM that even the experts have lost track of who's done what so until its finally sorted out it'd be rather foolish to declare a winner on that front.
Xac wrote:Enjoying the ability to send files to your IOS5 device over wifi? It's a stolen application. It was submitted to the appstore several years ago and rejected, so the developer's only form of income for it was the jailbrake market. Now Apple have stolen it and given him no credit for his work. They've even used practically the same icon. Likewise with Delicious Library. People assumed that Apple had paid them for the design of the book app. It was news to DL's CEO.
There are many other apps which people have spent time developing in their bedrooms only to have them stolen by Apple and of course, being just a bloke rather than a large corporation you don't have the resources to sue Apple. Siri was lucky in that it is not just an app but relies on back end servers (similar to Google and I believe MS's speach services) so couldn't just be ejected from the appstore and stolen (remember it used to be available to all iphones not just the 4S).
Are you seriously trying to suggest that Apple are the only software company that has been accused of stealing other peoples idea's? If so you are more gullible than the idiots who didn't patent their idea before submitting them to Apple, are you so naive that you haven't considered that a number of these claims could be bogus with Geeks looking to make a quick buck? Don't tell me Microsoft has never been accused of such practices because that'll just prove you to be making it up as you go along.
Xac wrote:Morally, do you really want to go there with a comparision between Apple and MS? OK.
In the 90's Steve Jobs cancelled all of Apples philanthropic projects due to financial difficulties. After being bailed out by Microsoft, developing "pretty" overpriced computers and devices (often without paying to use the technology, while claiming they invented it) they managed to get enough isheep to end up with more money than the US treasury. Yet still those philanthropic projects remain cancelled.
Pop over to see Bill Gates, and through the Gates Foundation nearly as much money as the annual WHO budget is given to world wide health care projects, and will do so until the fund runs out of cash long after the Gates have passed away.
Many deprived schools in the US were also donated new computers and software at the cost of millions from Microsoft.
Lets also not forget that prior to the iphone4 release, Apple abused it's position on a Californian task force to have a journalist's house raided and arrested for reporting details of a lost phone he had been passed, despite such actions by the reporter to be totally within US law.
Apple haven't been paying to use 3G technology owned by Samsung, and are refusing to pay despite the technology being made available to them under FRAND terms.
Apple has, with the help of isheep and a bit of gloss and spin, made itself out to be this whiter than white company, David against Microsoft's Goliath, when that isn't the case. They're ruthless, hypocritical and underhand. Their factory workers still have a high suicide rate despite assurances that Apple would improve their conditions.
Oh Xac open your eyes to the world, wake up before it passes you by :roll: no-one including me is suggesting that Apple stand on the highest moral ground but you must be the only person on the planet to suggest that Microsoft should hold that position, after all as I mentioned previously they have been found guilty in what after all is basically a criminal court of law and suffered the highest ever fine as a consequence, does that not tell you nothing about them? How can you stand there and champion such behaviour, shame on you [-X . Can you not see through the spin or are you wearing Microsoft glasses that Bill Gates being one of if not the richest person on the planet is hardly suffering hardship by making these donations, yes its a nice step and welcome but there's a little birdie on my shoulder telling me that it may have been done in an attempt to recover lost ground on the moral front after all the bad publicity Microsoft has suffered over the years as a result of their own business practices . Bill Gates owns Microsoft but its his money not Microsofts that's being donated,,,,,,

The vast majority of your arguments supporting Microsoft and criticising Apple are little more than rumours, gossip and innuendo, as ever I do my level best to stick to hard proven facts rather than use gossip, you work in computers for a living so should by all rights have far more factual knowledge on this subject than I have available to me.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

What microsoft product am I championing?

Exactly how is someone in the UK supposed to patent software when it is not patentable? I thought you were keeping to facts Richard.
So you find it acceptable that Apple can steal someone's program and sell it as their own? Interesting. Did many of your ex-colleagues hold similar views on crime? It would explain the lack of interest in home robberies.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:What microsoft product am I championing?
None, the company itself, you suggested they're business practice's are more moral than Apple's, as far as I can see they are rivals and are as bad as each other.
Xac wrote:Exactly how is someone in the UK supposed to patent software when it is not patentable? I thought you were keeping to facts Richard.
That's news to me,
Xac wrote:So you find it acceptable that Apple can steal someone's program and sell it as their own? Interesting. Did many of your ex-colleagues hold similar views on crime? It would explain the lack of interest in home robberies.
There you go again having ago at Police, you've clearly stated your thoughts on offenders being able to pay fines and being happy that they then become honourable and decent people it's clear to see where you stand on crime :roll: clearly you have an axe to grind with anything or anyone connected with Police which gives me the impression that you've been found guilty of a crime in your past. BTW what's a home robbery? Do you mean burglary? Tut tut another lack of knowledge, anyway you're really boring me now as you have nothing sensible or useful to add to the debate :zzz: :zzz:
Last edited by DickieG on 10 Nov 2011, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
Xac wrote:What microsoft product am I championing?
None, the company itself, you suggested they're business practice's are more moral than Apple's, as far as I can see they are rivals and are as bad as each other.

Anyway I'm bored with this now, I'm off to buy a new 3D TV 8-)
Not just steal it and say it was the shop's stupid fault for not securing it then? ;)

DIY sphere tool