Oil change thoughts

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Oil change thoughts

Post by spider »

Well sort of.

I wanted to clean an engine out a little bit without flush. I have about 2 new litres left of the oil in a can the type that's present in the sump and 5 litres of a different brand.

The engine holds about 3.5 litres. Both oils are semi-synth and 10w40. I was considering one of the following:

1. Drain oil when hot. Refill with the two litres from the "left overs" can and then add just enough to get it up to the mark with the new. Run the engine for a few miles or next day then drop it all out. Refill with fresh and replace the filter at this time. To clarify, both oils are new, I'm not re-using old oil!

or

2. Same as (1) but replace the filter at this "intermediate flush" change, and replace it again when it has its "real" change a few miles later.

I was just thinking along these lines after a discussion a while back with a (mechanic) friend where he suggested just filling with cheap oil and new filter and draining again after 10 miles (replacing filter again) , I'm sort of up in the air about doing the filter twice although I do have half a dozen anyway.

Any particular thoughts ? , bear in mind I have the oil and filters already so its more a question of which method would you prefer ? , I was only considering leaving the filter as the "fresh but only 2 litres" and the "new brand" will be mixed together but only for a short time, although tis debatable how much difference that would make in real life.

:)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Oil change thoughts

Post by CitroJim »

Andy, I'd go for option two. Fill up with the cheapy stuff with the old filter in place and then change the filter at the second change for the good stuff...

Let the old filter take all the strain...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

likewise as Sir Jim says

regards malcolm
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'd use the two-filter method, but keep the 'temporary' filter for re-use on the same job in the future.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Seriously, scan the automotive classifieds here and anywhere else to find how many cars have crook engines because of oil mix-n-match.

Cars get parted out or scrapped from collisions, rust, other component failure. For that reason, I reckon the "cheapest" option of the two above, is the best one. We have come one heck of a long way from an era where factory built motors were good for 80K miles or less, and crap tolerances allowed massive oil contamination in less than five thousand miles.