CB Radios

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: CB Radios

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:While I was at Jim's yesterday I fitted my new 9foot tank whip.
There's some very worried railway bridges hereabouts Xac :lol:

Nice one on the Maplin deal :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The original Troll?

Nevil Maskelyne, back in 1903, just before Marconi was about to send some morse code showing off his "secure and private" communication system, "hacked" it and sent a few rude messages blowing the "secure and private" claim out of the water :D
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... ?full=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, I should be picking up my new radio tomorrow morning :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:The original Troll?
Just goes to show there's nothing new under the sun...

Enjoy your new wireless Xac :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Picked up my new rig this morning, and swung by Maplins to grab a cigar lighter plug.
This afternoon I visited Jim and borrowed his lead filled solder and iron. Oh my what a difference lead makes, how I miss it!
The new radio is somewhat bigger than my old one, just a bit too tall to fit into the slot left by the missing ashtray.
No bother, we found a suitable saw and chopped off a significant portion of the cross bar that runs across the bottom of the ashtray slot.
Using some ultra strong sticky backed velcro strips I affixed the radio under the heater control box.
It's longer than the old radio so jutts out a bit which is perfect as I could fit the mic holder to the side.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:I visited Jim and borrowed his lead filled solder and iron. Oh my what a difference lead makes, how I miss it!
Ahh, you can't beat a bit of good old lead solder Xac. This new RoHS-compliant lead free stuff is nowhere near as good. If I were a drinker I might compare it to alcohol free beer...

I hope I have enough of the leaded stuff stashed away to keep me going for a few years. It's precious stuff now :)
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've got one of those bluetooth fm transmitter handsfree devices in the car, tuned into 107.2 FM as it's pretty clear in the areas I drive.
This evening when I picked up Danielle from Tescos I got a heck of a lot of interference so turned it off and heard an Islamic sermon being given by someone with an american accent.
They were spread from 107.0 to 107.2 with no RDS.
I've had a look online to see if it was a legitimate station and found nothing, so headed over to OFCOM's site and reported it.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: I've had a look online to see if it was a legitimate station and found nothing, so headed over to OFCOM's site and reported it.
Good :-D That's some dirty transmitter :twisted: talk about spreading the word :lol: Hope they hang the culprits out to dry good an proper...

Trouble is, those sorts of transmissions can swamp legitimate broadcasters by a phenomena known as 'capture effect' where the strongest signal will win out over all the others even those a few megs away...

So what was the sermon about? Any mention of French cars and how all good citizens should drive one?
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It was quite moderate so nothing juicy, I cought the end of a parable about some bint who didn't recognise a prophet, and then talk of forgiving others and doing things for others not for their sake but for Allah, then about 7pm they started playing asian music.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I was in Tesco this evening picking up Siany and Charlotte after Majorettes...

I missed that sermon :( Sounds a good 'un :lol: . I was listening to Radio 4 as usual... I'd been well miffed if he'd swamped Radio 4 though...
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:I was in Tesco this evening picking up Siany and Charlotte after Majorettes...

I missed that sermon :( Sounds a good 'un :lol: . I was listening to Radio 4 as usual... I'd been well miffed if he'd swamped Radio 4 though...
I'd have definitely called for a Jihad on him ;)

Talking of Radio 4, I've got a handy bit of software called Radio Downloader that hunts out podcasts and automatically downloads them.
So I've been subscribed to Old Harry's Game, Bleak Expectations and the News Quiz Extra.
It helped keep me sane on the coach trips too and from Eastborn over the weekend (and definitely for the pointless daytrip to Rye and Battle).

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well it appears to be a legitimate station that has a RSL until the 19th Feb, managed to catch a station name tonight as I left the train station car park.
They're coming through clear on 106.95 to 107.2 although they should be transmitting on 107.0
Updated ofcom so that's probably the end of that.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:I've got one of those bluetooth fm transmitter handsfree devices in the car, tuned into 107.2 FM as it's pretty clear in the areas I drive.
This evening when I picked up Danielle from Tescos I got a heck of a lot of interference so turned it off and heard an Islamic sermon being given by someone with an american accent.
They were spread from 107.0 to 107.2 with no RDS.
I've had a look online to see if it was a legitimate station and found nothing, so headed over to OFCOM's site and reported it.
If you travel through 'certain areas' of South London it's all but impossible to listen to FM due to the amount of unlicenced transmitters, it'd be a full time job sending the details of all those to Ofcom.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

So what was the name of it Xac? Radio Jihad Wolverton? Or Radio Wolverstan? :lol: I swear last evening strolling around Wolverton Tesco I did not hear one English word uttered. At least not until we got to the checkout :lol: :lol: Even the white folk in there were speaking in foreign tongues. Welsh maybe...
DickieG wrote: If you travel through 'certain areas' of South London it's all but impossible to listen to FM due to the amount of unlicenced transmitters
It's just yet another manifestation of spam really, and a terrible blight :evil: I seriously wonder if anyone actually listens to them? The ones I heard are invariably terrible quality... In the audio sense that is. Content I cannot comment on :wink:
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If I ever have to drive when I'm working in London, there are a few crossings where Radio 4 gets obliviated by another broadcast.

It's Milad MK, linked to the Mosque in Wolverton by the looks of things.

DIY sphere tool