New MOT format

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: New MOT format

Post by citronut »

ACTIVE8 wrote:Apparently the approved toner is in the region of £190.00 plus VAT :shock: and they have to use it, or be done by VOSA!
well not exactly from what my MOT tester tells me, he said if they have to call an engineer out to fix a printer fault and they find the toner cartridge has been replaced with a non specified one, VOSA will charge said station i think £109 and hour for the repair work, i suspect that will be includeing the travle cost/time from there depot,

also the test station are alowed to buy there paper from were ever they like, so paper quality is down the them, and not regulated by VOSA,

regards malcolm
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

The left side part of the net MOT cert really reminds me of how MOT,s looked in the 80,s when they were small with brown print on the paper. You could brush brake fluid over the dates and they would be blank the following morning, or er so I heard at the time :-D :oops:
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

citronut wrote:
ACTIVE8 wrote:Apparently the approved toner is in the region of £190.00 plus VAT :shock: and they have to use it, or be done by VOSA!
well not exactly from what my MOT tester tells me, he said if they have to call an engineer out to fix a printer fault and they find the toner cartridge has been replaced with a non specified one, VOSA will charge said station i think £109 and hour for the repair work, i suspect that will be includeing the travle cost/time from there depot,

also the test station are alowed to buy there paper from were ever they like, so paper quality is down the them, and not regulated by VOSA,

regards malcolm
The figure I mentioned was quoted from our local test station, one that I use all the time, and trust.

Although regarding the figure maybe like with any person, or business in general people are prone to state a higher figure, to explain the costs they have to pass on.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Take note of the right hand side of that new quality Image certificate.

The advisory part was part of the certificate previously.

Apparently with the new ones certain dodgy types of traders (Arthur Daley level) Image have been tearing off the right hand side, so if a member of the public buys on paperwork alone, and does not do an electronic check then they won't be aware of the problems, that they would have seen before on the old style proper paperwork.

So the buyer thinks there is nothing wrong with it!

While what they actually get is a vehicle with possible problems, different from what they thought they were buying. Image

If they had known about the advisory items, then they might have not been so interested to buy it, and buy into problems.

Or they would have bought it cheaper with the information being available.
ACTIVA

imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

I had to tax a car at a DVLA office the other day and they checked the MOt online as he said they are easily forged, i was reading in a car magazine about the new MOT paper and lay out and they said some car sales are cutting in half to get rid of the section with the advisories in it !
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

I suspect this new MOT is open to all sorts of fiddles I am sure with a little bit of computer expertise it would be possible to scan and alter and print any number of MOT'S ,it will not be long before somebody buys a dodgy motor with a clean MOT.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

People buying second hand cars should be aware that the mot history is available to view online if you have either the V5 ref or mot doc number.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Quite possibly, the new MOT sheets do look easy to copy so a online check of a cars MOT history would be a very good idea on any car your thinking of buying.

When I was getting the XM tested last week, the MOT tester explained that the new MOT cert. is more of a receipt to tell the owner when the next one is due, rahter than a certificate. As everything is on the database.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

To be fair, the new 'certificates' clearly state that they are simply a confirmation of the computerised version, which is the official test result.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Citroenmad wrote:Quite possibly, the new MOT sheets do look easy to copy so a online check of a cars MOT history would be a very good idea on any car your thinking of buying.

When I was getting the XM tested last week, the MOT tester explained that the new MOT cert. is more of a receipt to tell the owner when the next one is due, rahter than a certificate. As everything is on the database.
The thing is with certain receipts is that they can, and do fade, so I would hope that this would not be the case with the MOT receipt.
ACTIVA

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ACTIVE8 wrote: The thing is with certain receipts is that they can, and do fade, so I would hope that this would not be the case with the MOT receipt.
Not if they're printed on a laser printer which i believe they are. It's inkjet ink that fades, especially HP stuff. Epson ink doesn't though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's thermal printing that fades, which many till receipts use.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
ACTIVE8 wrote: The thing is with certain receipts is that they can, and do fade, so I would hope that this would not be the case with the MOT receipt.
Not if they're printed on a laser printer which i believe they are. It's inkjet ink that fades, especially HP stuff. Epson ink doesn't though...
Jim, I've been using HP printers (Linux friendly) for the last fifteen years and haven't seen any evidence of them fading, although some of the DIY inks do a bit.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Jim, I've been using HP printers (Linux friendly) for the last fifteen years and haven't seen any evidence of them fading, although some of the DIY inks do a bit.

Must be the Linux influence Steve :lol: :lol:

I once printed a picture of a red 205 GTi (my own actually!) using an HP inkjet and pinned it to the wall of my office. In a coupe of years it had gone from being a red 205 to an orange 205, just as they do in real life :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oddly, on the parts of the picture that had sellotape on them there was no fading at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...