Trolley Damage!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Trolley Damage!!!

Post by ACTIVE8 »

One of the biggest causes of frustration, and annoyance when visiting a supermarket is this the leaving of a trolley where any one feels like it!

Image :evil:

Note the lack of a coin operated device on it!

They get left in parking bays, including parent and child ones, in the walkways outside, they drift into the roadway etc.

Also more annoying is the t*at who loads their car, and leaves the trolley next to, or against a car parked next to them, and then drives off knowing they are doing wrong, but not giving a damm.

When there is a device on it, they do get put back, without it they are dumped anywhere. :evil:

I have visited a supermarket which has sloped ground, and when the muppets who dump these things anywhere do not put them back it make the shopping experience a nightmare.

In actual fact our preference is now to go to the competitor that has good prices etc all the normal things you need, and a flat car park with trolley control.

The last thing you need is to visit the supermarket, and come back with your car damaged.

So do you get influenced by not only the missus, prices etc, but also the trolley factor?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I never park in stupormarket carparks and leave the car unattended. Too many nasty experiences from yobs who open doors against the car without looking, through trolleys and incompetent reversers.

When I do leave the car, it is parked in the quietest nearby street, and I never buy more than I can carry (it helps being a fairly strong bloke).
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Trolley Damage!!!

Post by Xaccers »

We get our weekly shop delivered by Adsa, most they've damaged was some eggs a bright spark put in with the lemonade bottles. Quite often they pack extra goodies or substitute something we ordered with a much better product.
If we need extra during the week, Danielle goes inside and I stay in Cassy
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

None of our local supermarkets have trolley control, they are all coinless.

People leave them all over the place, some people even treat is as a company vehicle and take the thing home with them! Obviously I do avoid supermarkets in such lucrative areas! :twisted:

My main concern is the door denters, the poeple who open their door without a care in the world hitting the door of the car next to it. I see this happen so often, I always either park well away from other cars or if I must park near them I try and get an end space and park right near the curb so to give as much room as possible and any damage will be only on the one side. There are many opportunities when I have to park between two cars and I often put the C5s suspension into high or intermediate - I find this lifts the rubbing strips to a more suitable height to catch the door of the other cars.

One supermarket a nearby town has trollies with some kind of sensor to prevent the locals from getting away with some scrap metal. It has a warning on the front "this trolley will stop when the red line is reached". I didn't even know a trolley had a rev counter!
Last edited by Citroenmad on 18 Oct 2011, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Citroenmad wrote:None of our local supermarkets have trolly control, they are all coinless.

People leave them all over the place, some people even treat is as a company vehicle and take the thing home with them! Obviously I do avoid supermarkets in such lucrative areas! :twisted:

My main concern is the door denters, the poeple who open their door without a care in the world hitting the door of the car next to it. I see this happen so often, I always either park well away from other cars or if I must park near them I try and get an end space and park right near the curb so to give as much room as possible and any damage will be only on the one side. There are many opportunities when I have to park between two cars and I often put the C5s suspension into high or intermediate - I find this lifts the rubbing strips to a more suitable height to catch the door of the other cars.

One supermarket a nearby town has trollies with some kind of sensor to prevent the locals from getting away with some scrap metal. It has a warning on the front "this trolly will stop when the red line is reached". I didn't even know a trolly had a rev gauage!
You can make your own "red line" and have fun walking up and down the aisles stopping everyone else's trolleys :D
Actually, if you fitted one to the car, said trolleys wouldn't be able to run into it!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ah, thats an idea :lol:

When I was in France most supermarkets had large plastic trollies, they are so much better. Lighter, easier to push and I never got one with the iffy wheel. I suspect damage to cars is less and if they get run over they simply smash and don't do as much damage. No doubt they are cheaper to buy too. Some have fixed rear wheels which makes things even easier, no more going sideways down the isles when the trolley if full to bursting!
Last edited by Citroenmad on 18 Oct 2011, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Fixed rear wheels? Bummer; going sideways around a corner with a trolley is good safe drifting fun...

The automatically deployed trolley stops don't deter anyone with a bit of muscle; you just keep shoving and it keeps moving.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re:

Post by Citroenmad »

addo wrote:The automatically deployed trolley stops don't deter anyone with a bit of muscle; you just keep shoving and it keeps moving.
Ah, you have tried have you? :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hell yes. :lol: I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to keep pushing or dragging the trolley; it doesn't even look suss when you're doing it...

Much as anything else, it shows how crap the tracking is, of a "good" trolley.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Citroenmad wrote: One supermarket a nearby town has trollies with some kind of sensor to prevent the locals from getting away with some scrap metal. It has a warning on the front "this trolley will stop when the red line is reached". I didn't even know a trolley had a rev counter!
Our local ASDA has this - it is useless!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Imagine this as a presentation on Dragon's Den..................

Would you like to p*55 a good many of your customer's off, by inflicting damage on the second biggest purchase they will do after their house, by not looking after your property (the trolley) so others can abandon them anywhere, and inflict damage on cars. [-X

There is a phrase which is, "It takes along time to find, or get a customer, but moments to lose them!"

So should they not try harder, to be more responsible, and retain their customers, in these difficult times.

The Dragons would think the person presenting the idea is a stupid f/wit for not trying to retain, and keep their customer base happy!
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Citroenmad wrote:Ah, thats an idea :lol:

When I was in France most supermarkets had large plastic trollies, they are so much better. Lighter, easier to push and I never got one with the iffy wheel. I suspect damage to cars is less and if they get run over they simply smash and don't do as much damage. No doubt they are cheaper to buy too. Some have fixed rear wheels which makes things even easier, no more going sideways down the isles when the trolley if full to bursting!
When I was watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition, I saw when they went shopping in Sears, that they had these plastic trollies with fixed rear wheels, and I agree with you the potential for damage would appear to be less as they give (flex) and the plastic frame/mesh/cage is larger than the comparable metal type therefore should be less able to inflict damage.

The fixed rear wheels do aid control, and stop them going all over the place compared to the four castor wheel type, as when the tw*ts that don't bother to put them away leave them out, they do despite their open design get blown, and moved about in the wind.
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Re:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

addo wrote:Fixed rear wheels? Bummer; going sideways around a corner with a trolley is good safe drifting fun...

The automatically deployed trolley stops don't deter anyone with a bit of muscle; you just keep shoving and it keeps moving.
Ah, but it is stll possible to drift the type of trolley with fixed rear wheels, as it's able to atain a higher speed, and have more control.

Smooth slippery floors in the shops help the process, if you get my drift ! :wink:
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Xac wrote:We get our weekly shop delivered by Adsa, most they've damaged was some eggs a bright spark put in with the lemonade bottles. Quite often they pack extra goodies or substitute something we ordered with a much better product.
If we need extra during the week, Danielle goes inside and I stay in Cassy
I tend to do the same regarding staying in the vehicle if possible, and don't mind it, in fact I prefer it to going inside even more so at this time of year, when it's more busy in the car park, and in the store.

Also staying in the car allows one to observe the type of twits who dump the trolleys, and you can get other things done on the car, and other tasks that you can do in the car ! :wink:
ACTIVA

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I used to do this, guard gthe car from idiots in supermarkets, even fitted a dvd player with surround sound to the xm to make the wait more interesting but i must admit home shopping is the future, you sit there in your pants, watching telly with the laptop out and order what you want then at a time conveinient to you a very nice bloke turns up with your shopping and not only is my car now safe and marital bliss returned over the houshold but it saves us money, no more wondering round Tesco's at 7:30pm on a friday starving hungry buying rubbish you dont really want its perfect.

Dont worry about trollies or the idiots that pilot them, do the smart thing, sit back, relax and let your shopping come to you.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............