Welsh Roads...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Welsh Roads...

Post by CitroJim »

The road between Welshpool and Aberystwyth is bloody brilliant :D Fantastic Activa country if only it wasn't cluttered with people who don't appreciate it . The scenery is pretty stunning too..

Rally enjoyed the trip here and will soon be makig my way home after seeing Robyn into uni...

Aber looks a nice place... I'm going to come back in few weeks for a little hoilday to explore this lovely neck of the woods..

Parts of this place seem well stuck in the 70s :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Don't forget to take your raincoat.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Welsh Roads...

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: Parts of this place seem well stuck in the 70s :lol:
Llareggub?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's a very popular route for bikers.
As a consequence there are often unexpected speed traps :evil:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

CitroJim wrote:Rally enjoyed the trip here...
Freudian slip? :lol:
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I've always liked the upper end of the A5, before it gets to Anglesey, and some of the mid-Wales roads are fantastic fun to drive on.

I think my favourite has to be the tiny little road between Tregaron and Beulah/Treflys.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Rally enjoyed the trip here...
Freudian slip? :lol:
Yep, it was a bit of a rally in parts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gosh, what a lovely drive and a lovely day.. I'm just so envious of Robyn being at Uni and living in such a glorious place...

last evening I was actually sorry to cross the border back into Engliand. The character changes immediately :roll:

After Shrewsbury, it's back into everything I hate about England - urbanisation, dreariness, blandness, heavy traffic, congestion and the M6... I missed the M6 Toll on the way home. The silly sods don't signpost it from the M54, the barstards, and you end up on the old M6 :evil:

I love that part of Wales for it's isolation, time-warp quality, lovely twisty roads and the feeing of being somewhere really different; bi-lingual road signs really add to the atmosphere of the pace... The scenery is so achingly beautiful.

Shame that so much traffic tends to be so araf, they clearly don't appreciate what they have... :roll: Are big Beemers slow, poor handlers and under-powered? My observations suggest so...

The V6 seemed to be right in her element on the Welsh hilly twisty stuff, she loved it :D A car ideally suited I'd say...

She got filled up with 'Dragon' petrol just outside Aber, in an old fashioned garage right out of the 70s. She goes well on the stuff, it really seems to put some fire in her belly :lol:

A good day, all in all, and I'm definitely going to spend some more time there :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I agree, rural Wales is pretty nice. Excellent scenery and driving roads, loads of beautiful secret places if you look for them. I would be tempted to say that its better than the south west in that respect :shock:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

it really seems to put fire in her belly
I suspect more likely a twitchy right foot :lol:
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

CitroJim wrote: Are big Beemers slow, poor handlers and under-powered? My observations suggest so...
Some of them are

I can remember being surprised during a trip in Germany a few years ago in my old BX diesel turbo, going along part of the A8 at about 100 - 110 mph, someone in an old 5 series BMW about 100 yards behind being apparently annoyed and flashing lights each time I pulled out to overtake others, but when I pulled in again to the middle or nearside lane it didn't seem to make any effort to pass me

A friend told me if it was a 518 and automatic then it was probably already flat out.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

andy5 wrote:
CitroJim wrote: Are big Beemers slow, poor handlers and under-powered? My observations suggest so...
Some of them are

I can remember being surprised during a trip in Germany a few years ago in my old BX diesel turbo, going along part of the A8 at about 100 - 110 mph, someone in an old 5 series BMW about 100 yards behind being apparently annoyed and flashing lights each time I pulled out to overtake others, but when I pulled in again to the middle or nearside lane it didn't seem to make any effort to pass me

A friend told me if it was a 518 and automatic then it was probably already flat out.
Back in the early 80's there was an incident in Germany where a Skoda overtook a beemer, outraged at the insult the beemer overtook the skoda and slowed down, so the skoda overtook again, this repeated for a while and the beemer forced the skoda over, got out and shot the driver. When asked why he simply said "I drive a BMW, a Skoda should not overtake me"
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:Back in the early 80's there was an incident in Germany where a Skoda overtook a beemer, outraged at the insult the beemer overtook the skoda and slowed down, so the skoda overtook again, this repeated for a while and the beemer forced the skoda over, got out and shot the driver. When asked why he simply said "I drive a BMW, a Skoda should not overtake me"
Quite right too :D

I recall many years ago driving back from skiing in Austria through southern Germany on an empty Autobahn where it had recently rained quite heavily but the sun was now shining and seeing a 7 Series rapidly catching and than passing me at well over 100 mph with the largest "rooster tail" I've ever seen, woof, no messing there :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
Xac wrote:Back in the early 80's there was an incident in Germany where a Skoda overtook a beemer, outraged at the insult the beemer overtook the skoda and slowed down, so the skoda overtook again, this repeated for a while and the beemer forced the skoda over, got out and shot the driver. When asked why he simply said "I drive a BMW, a Skoda should not overtake me"
Quite right too :D
You know, you can be a little bit scary Richard ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

CitroJim wrote:
After Shrewsbury, it's back into everything I hate about England - urbanisation, dreariness, blandness, heavy traffic, congestion and the M6... I missed the M6 Toll on the way home. The silly sods don't signpost it from the M54, the barstards, and you end up on the old M6 :evil:
Ah.... You literally came past my door then.
Don't you just love how noisy the M54 is :evil: As it's concrete it is awful and even worse in the rain.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

pug_owner2002 wrote: Don't you just love how noisy the M54 is :evil: As it's concrete it is awful and even worse in the rain.
Even my daughter commented on how awful it was. She asked what was making the terrible noise... I hope none of the good residents of Telford live too close to it as if they do it must be getting on for purgatory...

I must say, the M54 is not my favorite motorway, sorry...

And the services on it can only be described very loosely as being Motorway services being bloody miles away, or so it seems, from the junction :twisted:
Jim