Classic Moped MOT's

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Classic Moped MOT's

Post by DHallworth »

Hey Guys,

Appreciate that this isn't really a moped or motorcycle forum but I know that everyone here seems to be into all sorts of different things so I thought I'd ask anyway!

I've recently bought a 1965 Raleigh RM6 moped. Mainly because I want the number plate from it. The plate starts DRH and my initials are DRH.

This thing is basically no more then a push bike with a 49cc petrol engine mounted on the frame just above the pedals.

Before I can swap the number plate around it needs to be MOT'd.

Does anyone have any ideas what the guidelines are for an MOT for such an old piece of kit?

If it's not got lights I know I can apply for a day time MOT. However there's not really a lot to test on them to be honest! It's got no suspension, and the brakes etc are the same as those on a standard push bike!

Here's a picture of it anyway:

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I remember those so well David.

The Raleigh was a derivative of the Mobylette and by moped standards it was a quick machine and quite prized by complementary sixteen year olds.

The Puch Maxi was another quick one surprisingly even though it was the preserve of little old ladies...

I had an NSU Quickly as my first moped and quick it was not :evil:

I have happy memories of the well known fast mopeds along that time; the Yam FS1E, Honda SS50 and many Italians such as the Garelli and so on.

Happy memories :D

Good FS1Es are now pretty valuable and so are Raleigh runabouts too. Yours looks in good nick from the picture...

Any motorbike place will MOT it. As you say, not a whole lot to MOT is there :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

We've got a Puch Maxi in the barn! :D

Dad only bought it to for old memories sake as when he was 16 years old he got 'nicked' on it because it wasn't MOTd and the stand was hanging down hence dragging on the floor and generating a spark or two! :twisted: The local bobby made him push it home 6 miles and kept checking ever so often to make sure he didn't ride it. I don't think that the same would happen today! :lol:

Dad's after a FS1E now though to add to his 'collection'; he's also got a Vespa with a sidecart too - mad! :D
Franklin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroening wrote: he's also got a Vespa with a sidecart too - mad! :D
Aggrrggggh! Kill it!

I hated scooters with a passion then and I still do...

We used to call 'em pregnant sewing machines and mercilessly tease and insult anyone who had one of the horrid things. A pal had one once and boasted it was fitted with a Anchelotti Racing Piston. Thinking on he may have meant racing pigeon...

They're lethal deathtraps.

There's someone around here with a Lambretta restored well in period. It has about 600 spot-lamps and 300 mirrors on it as was the fashion in the 60s and 70s.

By the time the engine has generated current for all those lights it has nothing left for any forward motion. Hence why you used to see scooters being pushed everywhere :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Was the Puch Maxi banana yellow? If so my lasting memory of them is my mate having one and him taking me on a ride through the woods at night :D the only trouble was that the headlight was so dim neither of us saw the huge log across the path in front of us,,,then flying through the air with me landing on top of him and being unable to stop giggling :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

MOT requirements will be on the relevant dot gov website but there will be checks for brakes, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, tyre condition, horn, reflector, control cables, spokes, frame corrosion, etc.

Try to find a classic bike sympathetic tester or you will get some jobs worth failing it on all sorts !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They could be banana yellow Richard and as I recall they were available in a range of colours; I particularly recall one Maxi colour being a very nice 70's metallic purple.

Another well-know yellow one was the hideous little Jawa. I know they were hideous as I had one for a while...

Mopeds and mirth went together like bread and cheese... Happy days..

I'm trying to think of an Italian moped a pal had in about 1977. It was a miniature racer look-alike and was good for 60mph if you 'planked' across the tank and there was a fair following wind.

I can't recall it's name except it was very Italian, not common and the sound of it was slightly funny..

That's niggling me now and it'll niggle me until I remember...
Jim

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

CitroJim wrote:Aggrrggggh! Kill it!
:lol: You'll be pleased to learn that he doesn't ride it! Dad's not even got a test for it either! :lol:
Luckily the driveway is long enough to give it a quick blast up and down but that's all. I have riden it a bit and it does feel lethal with that sidecart on it - quite disturbing actually! :shock: :?

Dad's original Puch Maxi was in Purple (as per Jim's post above) and the current one is a gold colour.

He fancies a FS1E now though...mainly because that was the one he wanted when he had the Puch...all the rich kids had the FS1Es!! :P :wink:
Franklin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Citroening wrote: He fancies a FS1E now though...mainly because that was the one he wanted when he had the Puch...all the rich kids had the FS1Es!! :P :wink:
Exactly! I used to lust after a FS1E almost as much as I did a certain Mandy Lisle when I was 16.

Sadly, never rich enough to get a FS1E but that never worried Mandy :D
Jim

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:They're lethal deathtraps.
As are all motorbikes, another fatality on the dual carriageway close to me on Saturday :roll: every weekend bikers race up the dual carriageway completely immune to the threat from junctions, this one 'T' boned a coach.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Thinking on he may have meant racing pigeon...
Hahahahahaha :D :D
Right on the nail Jim :)

There's a lad at work who talks that kind of crap - god help us if he ever gets a licence (he's 28 and been threatening for the past ten years)

David - it is very odd that you bring this up now as just last Friday I was chewing the fat with someone at work and years ago he bought an identical one for £15 - purely for the numberplate :)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Around here, a "Vespa" is something that's fun to ride but you probably wouldn't show your mates, if one gets the drift! :wink:

Jim - was the Italian jobby you refer to, a Fantic?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: Jim - was the Italian jobby you refer to, a Fantic?
No, although I remember those :D

More Italian than that. I'm going to have to ask its ex-owner. It's still niggling me...
Jim

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

CitroJim wrote:That's niggling me now and it'll niggle me until I remember...
Is it Malaguti, Jim? :)
Franklin
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Benelli, or maybe Ducati? :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH