Daylight Robbery

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Daylight Robbery

Post by OwenP »

I am of course talking about car insurance.

Just had my renewal quote through, so started looking at prices, all extremely high. Best quote yet £450, worst £3000 (bearing in mind this is with 75% no claims, so I make that a £12000 original price!)

Can anyone suggest cheap lesser know insurers for this year?

Best quote currently is More Than, contacting them directly as opposed to through a comparison site. Halved the quote doing it that way.
As a guide this is an increase of about £100 on last year.

Cheers.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Hi there.

Best way I have always found with Insurance is use the comparison websites to give you the idea of which one is cheapest.

The use a site called quidco, and go via that to the specific insurers website.

You should get the same price for the Insurance, but you can get up to £50 back (via quidco) from some insurers.

It all adds up.

Cheers

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

My wife's just changed from Directline for her laguna , they wanted £590 we eventually got it with Aviva for £316 , quite a saving

Mark
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Insurance has goneup qite alot of late, have luckily mqnaged other than my very first car in '95 kept it under £400, living down here certainly helps!
The xant and 406 td's are more expensive to insure than the bx16v!

Weve got both ours on an admiral multicar now as new car came as other is in final month, £537 for the xant and fiat bravo 1.2, fully comp etc. Too so cant moan really, will get the 16v added when it returns from safe storage too!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Insurance has goneup qite alot of late
You're telling me, two years ago my insurance was ~£250-£300 as a 25 year old male, now two years later with two more years no claims it is in the £450-£600 region.

A couple of the brokers I've rung have come up with Aviva as the cheapest @ £650 ish, but will have a look direct as well.

Will have to have a look on Quidco as well, see if I can get anything back that way.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Makes the quote I received for an Activa V6 seem reasonable :roll:

Trouble is, we're all having to pay for uninsured drivers and the fat-cat legal boys who cream off a wonderful living from ambulance chasing and no win no fee capers involving personal injury claims. I'm sure we've all received texts offering huge amounts of money for injuries suffered in some fictitious accident.

And then we have repair firms and courtesy car hire firms, often owned by the insurance companies themselves charging outrageous amounts.

It's all a bit of a scam that needs to be looked into. Once again the motorist is fair game and something of a cash cow for the insurance companies.

All this was exposed a while back with promises of a shake-up but surprise, surprise it's all gone quiet... I guess too many fat-cats were going to loose out big-time if their game was exposed too far.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

CitroJim wrote:Makes the quote I received for an Activa V6 seem reasonable :roll:

Trouble is, we're all having to pay for uninsured drivers and the fat-cat legal boys who cream off a wonderful living from ambulance chasing and no win no fee capers involving personal injury claims. I'm sure we've all received texts offering huge amounts of money for injuries suffered in some fictitious accident.

And then we have repair firms and courtesy car hire firms, often owned by the insurance companies themselves charging outrageous amounts.

It's all a bit of a scam that needs to be looked into. Once again the motorist is fair game and something of a cash cow for the insurance companies.

All this was exposed a while back with promises of a shake-up but surprise, surprise it's all gone quiet... I guess too many fat-cats were going to loose out big-time if their game was exposed too far.
Seeing the prices it is no surprise that the number of uninsured drivers is going up, I don't condone it, but I do understand it. I'm not talking about the out and out criminal who just doesn't want to pay, but the people who perhaps just can't afford it, but can't give up the car for whatever reason; Ends up as a vicious cycle.

Currently being out of work I can't really afford to run the car, but I can't SORN it as I may need it to get to a job interview (The sort of places I'm looking at working very often don't have public transport links.) I did think about letting it lapse for a month, but now have to sorn it to do that, what a joke that is!

As for the ambulance chasers, well I can't say what I would like to do to the person who started that trend off. I've had those messages. I wonder if they know something I don't?

Pity that shakeup didn't happen, the insurance industry needs it badly. Currently it is akin to legalised corporate robbery. I wonder if it is all a get rich quick scam, open an insurance company, charge huge premiums, payout nothing?