The age old question: How do I get oil off the driveway!?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

R9UKE
My Cars:

The age old question: How do I get oil off the driveway!?

Post by R9UKE »

Time to solve this one once and for all! Google turns up too many results, many of which I have tried and failed.

Many cars spend a few nights on my driveway, and it always seems to be the french ones that leave a little present behind. The BX was the first to offend, and since then there's been quite a few more contributions including LDS making for a pretty unsightly driveway - all the more reason to keep it covered with cars :D

Anyway... the reason I am looking for a solution is that I brought the Laguna V6 to a friends house last week, where it will be staying for a good while. I checked underneath it today and it has left two black spots on his brand new driveway. I have put a small basin underneath the car from now on to catch anything else but I need to remove these stains before he sees them and torches the Lag.

When the BX first offended, I tried cat litter, washing powder and pepsi - very popular google results. But has anyone ever found a way of completely getting rid of oil spots!?

I look forward to your replies!
French is best.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Luke

Jim recomended some stuff to me after the xm pas return line ruptured nd dumped 5ltrs of lhm all down the drive. I bought it and it worked well, poured it on neat, scrubbed then rinsed away, needed to do it twice but it was good, my brother pinched what was left and that was a about a year ago.

damn it, i cant remember what its called :oops: , it was brand name though :?:

Jim will know

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Deanxm wrote:Hi Luke

Jim recomended some stuff to me after the xm pas return line ruptured nd dumped 5ltrs of lhm all down the drive. I bought it and it worked well, poured it on neat, scrubbed then rinsed away, needed to do it twice but it was good, my brother pinched what was left and that was a about a year ago.

damn it, i cant remember what its called :oops: , it was brand name though :?:

Jim will know

D
How long between the LHM dumping onto the driveway and you using this stuff?

The road outside is covered in oil stains and it really is unsightly. I've tried a few suggested methods but nothing will touch it. Problem is, they have been there for months.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

What is the driveway surface in question ? Tarmac, paver's, concrete ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Gunk sell a driveway cleaner, alternatively I find that acid works a treat, just don't tell your friend what you're using :twisted: Another suggestion is hand cleaner as that is used to remove oil and grease from hands so it should do the job but it does take some effort getting it into the surface material.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Toby_HDi wrote:The road outside is covered in oil stains and it really is unsightly. I've tried a few suggested methods but nothing will touch it. Problem is, they have been there for months.
Get an old car battery and spill the contents on the surface, that will clean it up.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

HDI wrote:What is the driveway surface in question ? Tarmac, paver's, concrete ?
Paving stones. Quite light colours, look pretty permeable. Nightmare.

Thanks for the replies, it's nice to hear some real experiences. I'm off to buy some Gunk Driveway cleaner tomorrow :)
French is best.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont use battery acid on tarmac :shock: ,

someone once told me to use cement powder, but again what works on one surface/and type of fluid spill might not on another,

i find just water and a stiff broom works with citro blood (LHM) as long as its not left for a long time to dry into the surface,

regards malcolm
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

It'll get to the point when you don't mind anymore about petrol/oil/anti-freeze/LHM stains - you should see at the back of ours on the tarmac...! :shock: :lol:

It's difficult to catch all the water when you're taking the rad out of a 'dead' CX that's flat on the floor - well, that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it! :!: :D

My mum isn't that pleased about it though, so I just park cars over the biggest areas to disguise it! :twisted: :twisted:
Franklin
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Always used petrol to clean oil stains.
Pour or sprinkle on the stains, let work in for a few minutes, then squirt out with the garden hose.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Petrol dissolves asphalt, I found that out when I had an XJ12 and drained one of its tanks, I still have the hole in the driveway ramp to prove it :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

LHM soon absorbs into the concrete and you never see it. Only some cars are allowed over to the house, all others must stay in the yard where the tractor leaves trails as to where it has been.

I remember during the snow I had no problems finding my parking space as there was a nice bit of green snow under where the pressure regulator sat!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

On pavers or concrete cover the stain in oil absorbent granules then pour petrol into that, leave for 10 mins and brush off. Repeat as required.
Works best in warm conditions.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote: Jim recomended some stuff to me
Yep. Swarfega Oil and Grease Remover. Comes in a red can from your favourite DIY stores.

It looks like yellow cream and works a treat.

I do mine when it gets bad but it never stays clean for long. You can guarantee that as soon as it's done a dirty job comes along...

LHM is not a real problem as it fades away in concrete quite quickly. Old engine oil is the one that makes terrible stains, especially old diesel oil...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...