Hydraulic question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Hydraulic question

Post by Deanxm »

hi Gents

Does anyone now why my Activa will drop its nose to the ground when left for 2 days but pump the back end up to almost full height, is this an anti sink issue or another leaky hydraulics issue?
CIMG3337 by Deanxm, on Flickr

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Dean,

sporadically dropping front end issues on hydractive cars seems to be "the thing" at the moment :lol:

Dont know what causes it but once someone cracks it then we can all get it sorted if its not a quirk. Mine does it sometimes but not all the time when ive parked after turning into a spot on almost full lock. It doesnt do it though if i reverse in :?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Yes vince if i reverse in it doesnt do it half as bad! but why would that make any difference????

Is your drive on a slope?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Its trying to bury itself so its not seen beside a PT Cruiser. :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stekelly wrote:Its trying to bury itself so its not seen beside a PT Cruiser. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm cogitating this one and will respond in due course with my thoughts. I've seen it but never really fully engaged brain to work out what might be happening...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Stekelly wrote:Its trying to bury itself so its not seen beside a PT Cruiser. :P
:lol: :lol:

Jim, i was thinking there has to be a leak in a front hydraulics component as it does it all the time, less so if its parked facingg uphill slightly though but this could just be a red herring.
The thing that puzzles me is that as it drops the back rises by an almost equal amount like the fluid in the front suspension is making its was to the back but this isnt possible, or is it?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It thinks it is a landcrab or Princess.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Dean,

My drive is a steep angled one. It will still drop on the drive sometimes though it hasnt done that for a long while....only if i full lock it in.

Jim, ive done some thinking on this one.,,Im thinking that the rack is robbing the front fluid causing the drop? Or the anti roll bar is moving adjusting the ride height setting?

Dean, you will probably find that when it drops if you turn the steering lock to lock it corrects itself to correct ride height and then wont drop again. Thats how i correct mine if and when it does it :wink:

Does that provide any usefull clue Jim?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Mine does the opposite; arse down head up - then excessively drops the front immediately upon startup pressuring. Then the rear lifts, then the front rises again...

My anti-sink is fine; still pops up when recently driven if you fill the tank or sit on the tailgate lip.