Computer operating systems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Computer operating systems

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No! and she is a pain!

The whole Cortana (bloody daft name too) is integrated into the search system - disabling it involves a lot of tweaking and the result is that the search no longer works when finding a programme from the start menu and others issues. You can however have a good dig through the settings and disable a load of things you don't want, like ink and other daft features you'll never use. You can turn her off - but it is still there.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you every played the 'Halo' series of games (originally produced by Bungie, and then taken over by 343 Industries, a subsidiary of Microsoft Studios) you would know that Cortana was a smart AI hologram;
Attachments
Copied from the Internet
Copied from the Internet
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I see installed this Leviathon is about 11 gig. Ubuntu is about 3.5. Bonkers.
Typically I looked at the Recycle Bin. You used to click on it to get a few options like Empty, Re-use (or something similar) and a few others. Now when you click on it you are presented with a Recycle Bin Management App that has all the same stuff when you click on it. Why?! Why fluff it out just for the sake of it? It's a wonder the whole thing can drag itself past the start button its that huge. Who ever designed it would have a heart attack if they looked at Puppy Linux. :rofl2:
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes they've built an OS for the plebs - so now, those that want some control over their system have to spend a good few hours going through pages of configuration, privacy settings and UI tweaks just to get it how they want it. I've deleted most of the MS Apps from the App store too.

As for Cortana - no, I've never played that game, but I dislike the whole idea of an AI 'Buddy' - they are generally hopeless, patronising and annoying. Siri is bad enough, but at least you get to change the gender, and accent if you want a change and can tell it to shut up. Mine is getting the message now, but as I use it switch on and change the home lighting and colours / dimmers I put up with it. I just wish they weren't so uber happy smiley people-ish.

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

My son put two I phones together once and had Siri arguing with Siri, hilarious stuff. Can I turn off Edge? When I used it the screen just filled with spam, so I downloaded Firefox. Now every time I click on Firefox another screen pops up highly recommending me to use Edge. Very frustrating. Does Cortana understand P##+ Off?
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just make Firefox your default browser Dave...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Go to settings and find the apps setting. Within there, you should see a setting called ‘Default Apps’, you can the select all the default programmes you want to use.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Talking about iPhones I see that crApple have made a lot of people upset. It turns out they are slowing down older iPhones to "help with the battery life" (with software 'updates'). Yeah, Right! Does ANYBODY honestly believe that?!?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Manage Cortana settings

Cortana is part of the Windows 10 experience in the locales where she is available. This means Cortana can't be entirely turned off. For Cortana to work well, she needs to be integrated into the operating system. If you don’t want this functionality available to you follow these steps to hide Cortana from the taskbar:
Right-click (or press and hold) the search box, hover over Cortana, and then select Hidden from the side menu. This will also remove the search box from your taskbar. We don’t recommend hacking registry settings or similar measures as this can make your operating system unstable or crash.
You can review and control exactly what personal information Cortana can access by clicking into the search box and selecting Settings
Gear-shaped Settings icon
on the left pane. You can also search "Cortana settings" in the search box on the taskbar, and select Cortana & Search settings from the results.
Note: Cortana is removed from the Windows 10 Education and Windows 10 Pro Education editions. See Windows 10 editions for education customers for more info.
Find out more about Cortana and your privacy
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 08:51 Talking about iPhones I see that crApple have made a lot of people upset. It turns out they are slowing down older iPhones to "help with the battery life" (with software 'updates'). Yeah, Right! Does ANYBODY honestly believe that?!?

I've just bought a second hand iPad 2 , because I can't get on with my Android tablet (A Samsung 10.1 32GB Tab A) at all. Android is a major PITA. My iPad just works.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 08:51 Talking about iPhones I see that crApple have made a lot of people upset. It turns out they are slowing down older iPhones to "help with the battery life" (with software 'updates'). Yeah, Right! Does ANYBODY honestly believe that?!?
Yes, actually - it is TRUE

What is actually happening is that Apple have introduced CPU throttling! As your battery deteriorates, whether through age or duty cylces, once it gets from 90% down , the CPU will throttle right back. The consequence is that the screen is laggy, non-responsive and generally unusable. All the 'Apple Lovies' have been as you would expect, rushing to Apple's defence on the Forums, blaming all the users of course, however, nobody really accepted the crap they were coming back with - and sure enough, Apple actually announced the real reason - and this was introduced in IOS 11 and is going to be rolled out to other phones imminently!

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/22/16807056 ... -batteries

They say it is to stop sudden unexpected restarts of the phone when the CPU is running full out on a weakened battery.

Edit
As threatened in some of the user Forums, there is now a Class Action Lawsuit against Apple:
Defendant breached the implied contracts it made with Plaintiffs and Class Members by purposefully slowing down older iPhone models when new models come out and by failing to properly disclose that at the time of that the parties entered into an agreement.
This is why Apple did it:
"Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We've now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future."

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Yeah so someone with an older iPhone that has started to chug along thinks, "damn I'll get a new one". Obviously not Apple's intention....
Dave
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Exactly - Everyone thought it was conspiracy theory rubbish - but it shows they are intentionally crippling older phones and finally admitted it - so now all those suffering need to go and get a new battery - another £100 for Apple to replace it!

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Thanks lads Firefox is now default browser and Cortana residing in the naughty corner.
Dave
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It seems 'strange' that crApple launched this new 'feature' some time ago, then Primate Labs discovered it (crApple did not announce this feature), and only then did crApple 'admit' they were slowing down older iPhones to allow for batteries aging.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+