Computer operating systems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: Computer operating systems

Post by Ben82 »

Firefox does have the ESR (Extended Support Release) version, which is still pre-quantum I believe. Quantum has been my go-to browser since it was announced as available in the Developer Edition. Being fast and seemingly able to handle my unhealthy amount of tabs with ease made me switch without looking back. For extensions that didn't support it, I just looked for alternatives that did (e.g. LastPass to BitDefender - though LastPass has since added Quantum support), or ditched those that didn't (TreeStyleTabs).

The changes Mozilla have made in quantum are for a greater good - fairly standardised extensions across browsers, and ensuring support for the much needed multi-process Firefox (which chrome has had since it's inception).

As for OS things, I've decided to get myself a nice PC, however, to fit some really decent stuff into my budget, I wanted to combine my NAS (running UnRaid - Linux based USB stick), with being able to use hardware passthrough so I could run my machine in a Windows VM.

Got me thinking further about possibly doing a "DIY" UnRaid, such as what is shown here: https://www.linuxserver.io/2017/06/24/t ... rver-2017/

And with that it would also give me the option to switch back to Linux - have had the "itch" recently, but still not sure it's one I want to scratch. I would probably go Arch again if I did. :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good to see you again Ben! How are you?

I've grown quite happy with FF Quantum now - at least under Linux... I'm not yet convinced I like the black tabs when running it under Windows though - as I'm forced to do at my place of gainful employ...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

I'm good, Car needed a few things doing this time to pass the MOT, new outer tie rods, and a front calliper (as the handbrake was dead on one side). Also, a headlight was "too low" then "too high" :rofl2: which caused a few trips back and forth to the testing station.

Hopefully, no more spending on the car for a while now. :)

How are you?

Black Tabs in firefox? hmm not sure what that is, though I use the "starry" theme for my Firefox UI. :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ben82 wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 09:45 How are you?
Very well indeed Ben :D

Read all about it here in my blog... You may get a surprise or three ;)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24055&p=558524#p558524
Black Tabs in firefox? hmm not sure what that is, though I use the "starry" theme for my Firefox UI. :)

Must be part of some default theme as I just run it 'out of the box'; never knew it had different themes :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

So here we are again with my regular Win 7 bsod saga. Its the old bad system config info thingy which when reading the MS website means anything can have caused it and MS don't really have much idea! It is usually caused by corrupt MBR or registry or system volume or dodgy memory or...... As I said nobody seems to really know. I had to smile where numerous users posted on MS support forum to say they can't boot because of a bsod to which the usual reply is "boot into Windows then...."
Anyway some sites mentioned a utility you can DL on Debian based systems called chwmp or something similar which allows you to check the Windows registry and copy files from Regbak using Linux. Then I thought, hang on I can see the win7 HDD files with Linux file manager anyway. So I looked in System32 and renamed all the main files to *.old then copied earlier versions from Regbak to System32 and voila! It booted, thank God for Linux haha.

Anyway, as this is now getting quite tedious every couple of months can I ask the question. Is Win 10 better than Win7? Xp used to be quite stable but 7 has always been flakey and never run well and looking on t'internet the general views are that 10 is much improved from the original version.

Thanks.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Win 10 generally seems quite stable Dave... I can only comment from professional use but the one laptop I have at home running it but doing nothing outrageously special is as good as gold... Never had a problem with it...

The only non MS software mine runs is Firefox and Thunderbird...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It reminds me of a story I heard.

There are, in Seattle, several media stations with helicopters used for reporting traffic and so on. On this occasion one of the helicopters was up monitoring the traffic. On board was the pilot, a minor reporter, and a cameraman. While they were flying around the main circuit breaker pops open (and will not reset). The breaker is protecting almost all the electronics, including the radio. The helicopter is still airborne, but the pilot cannot communicate with the outside world, and only has a few, non electrical, instruments to guide him. The reporter is having hysterics while the cameraman, although looking very sick (with the thought of his imminent death), is filming (his camera has a battery pack).

The Pilot shouts at the cameraman "I need you to help us get through this". "What do you want me to do?" replies the cameraman. The pilots answers "Write down on a large piece of paper 'Where are we?'. I will hover near to one of the tall buildings, and when somebody looks out to see what is going on hold up that sign. They will hopefully realise we are in trouble, and let use know where we are. I have a good map, the compass is still working, and using those I can get us back to an airport".

They get ready, and head to a tall building. After a few moments somebody does look out and the cameraman holds up the sign. The person does a thumbs up, writes down something, and holds it up. It reads 'In a helicopter'. The cameraman starts pointing at this sign, and get the same response. "It is alright" says the pilot " I know exactly where I am". A few minutes later they have landed at a heliport.

"That was incredible" says the cameraman to the pilot, who is checking over the helicopter with the ground-crew, "How did you know where we were?". "We were at Microsoft" comes the response. "But how did you know that?". "Because we got a technically correct but completely useless answer".
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 07:57 "That was incredible" says the cameraman to the pilot, who is checking over the helicopter with the ground-crew, "How did you know where we were?". "We were at Microsoft" comes the response. "But how did you know that?". "Because we got a technically correct but completely useless answer".

:lol: Sums up them, and IT in general, a perfect treat...
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

demag wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 00:54
As I said nobody seems to really know. I had to smile where numerous users posted on MS support forum to say they can't boot because of a bsod to which the usual reply is "boot into Windows then...."
The BSOD is mostly hardware and / or driver related on older MS OS systems. Booting from a system CD or USB will usually allow you to repair the MBR and get into the OS under safe mode. From there set up a boot log and restart - that will usually identify the culprit driver / service if it is faulting at boot. If it's not a boot issue causing the BSOD, then the services logs will usually identify what is causing the grief / error or give a good indication of any problem devices. Poorly written - out of data / incompatible drivers are usually the culprit or dodgy hardware.
Anyway, as this is now getting quite tedious every couple of months can I ask the question. Is Win 10 better than Win7? Xp used to be quite stable but 7 has always been flakey and never run well and looking on t'internet the general views are that 10 is much improved from the original version.
As for Windows 10 - yes, it is generally far more stable - probably in part due to the stricter demands placed on driver signing and compatibility - so be aware that windows updates, although they can be delayed for a set period, are enforced under Win 10. This eliminates a lot of the crap software and buggy drivers software companies could get away with writing in previous systems and as far as the end user is concerned - provides a better 'user experience' as there will be far less of these issues.

There are multiple 'compatibility modes' to maintain backwards compatibility with older software - but it depends on what you are using it for mainly. Obviously as far as any gaming goes, there will be issues with older Direct X games that used Direct Draw Direct 3D where they simply won't work any more, and a VM or booting into an older OS is the only way around this.

For everything else, things just work and I've never had a single issue since day 1 of using Windows 10 when it first came out as a digital upgrade. I am using preview versions too - as a tester and even then, where you can expect some bugs, have not had any to date. I run the native Hyper-V VM and this works flawlessly. I have to say that the system is more tolerant than any previous OS I have used from MS and cannot complain about it. I did wonder initially whether forced updates of hardware drivers would be an issue for some of my older software - especially GPU drivers which prefers an earlier version - but I simply decided to keep Windows 7 on a separate HDD, so can choose to boot into that OS if I ever need to. To be honest, I find that I haven't needed to apart from the odd legacy App now and then.

The interface is vastly configurable (after a lot of criticism) so the later versions can be tweaked in appearance and settings to suit most. It really is worth spending time to set the visual elements and the interface up first of all - for me that was disabling all the Tablet Mode features and of course the dreadful window tiles - easy to do. Of course, we have to remember that unlike Linux and previous versions of Windows Win 10 is designed for the Desktop, Laptop / Notebook, Surface Laptop , Tablet and Mobile phone user in mind - so there are many features that are built in that you can choose to use - or not! Also, turning off annoying (to me) features like having application windows snap-to and size automatically to available window space when you resize them (I prefer to layout multiple apps exactly as I want them). But these features are considerable, so a bit of time spent setting up the environment as you want it pays dividends in the long term.

So overall - a huge step up. It will work better on a newer system of course, but unless you have a newish rig, you should be able to run an upgrade assessment to see if it is suitable.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I only use Windows for games, nothing more so I usually boot into it in the evenings when the soaps are on. Most of the games are Steam so bang upto date driver and compatibility wise.

When I originally bought 7 I tried the free upgrade to 10 but couldn't make head nor tail of it so reinstalled 7. It always seems to be the registry that gets screwed up so no boot and no safe mode. And despite all the regular system restore points I make they just disappear into the ether. I've read about restore points vanishing which then means Windows can't boot because of the registry issue and can't be restored because in effect there are no restore points. I've saved a copy of the registry to Linux Documents so can at least use those files to get out of trouble. Anyway following the favourable reviews I think I'll now upgrade.
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Maybe you need to stop messing about Dave :-D I've been on Windows right from the start way back in the 1980s, it's always worked for me, I'm on Win 10 with the latest creators update.

I've got Money 2004 for my bookkeeping which still works despite the UK edition being discontinued back in 2004, Office student edition which was a freeby from I can't remember where, Windows defender for protection which also seems to be fine, a weekly check with Malwarebytes never finds anything dodgy that's managed to get in.

Not too happy with Edge yet so still using Internet Explorer, only because I use RoboForm which as yet hasn't caught up with Windows Edge.

I've got two laptops as well one old HP with Win10 and an old Dell with Win 7 just for the damned Lexia which still is a bloody pain.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Haha I don't know what it is Gibbo. Maybe Windows is stroppy at sharing a PC with superior Linux :lol: . I've never found any malware in any scan and the normal scenario is it's running great, shutdown as usual then won't boot next day. Neither Windows repair disc, Neosmart repair disc or boot repair can fix it. But all report corrupt registry, very strange. Day to day stuff is always Linux and Windows is just for gaming so why it goes t*ts up I have no idea.
Dave
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have got Windows 10 with the Creators update. Be aware that there is a new 'feature' that allows you to record your games, but takes the frame rate down a long way. If you want to turn this off go into "Settings", then "Gaming", and turn off Game bar and Game DVR. I did, and the frame rate is now back to a decent high level (which is required in VR!!!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

VR! Instant motion sickness for me. I downloaded Project Cars when it first came out along with Assetto Corsa, I can't play them or I end up lying in a darkened room gripping the sides of the bed!
Dave
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I know that VR affects some people adversely. However, the Game modules are still there, and will reduce your FPS if they are active, regardless of whether you play in VR or on a normal screen.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+