Computer operating systems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Computer operating systems

Post by CitroJim »

Carsetr wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 09:08I prefer windows 8.1 over 10.

Ahh! We've found you :D The one person in the whole world who does :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's fine now they have ironed out a lot of the issues and given back more control to the user. There have been quite a few revisions since the initial releases. I can even play a lot of my old XP games on Win 10 now with no problems, running virtual machines is a breeze and with a good 'tweaking' programme, there are plenty of other options to customise the interface / display etc.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Carsetr
New User
My Cars: Peugeot Coupe
Citroen
Citroen SUV

Post by Carsetr »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 09:22
Carsetr wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 09:08I prefer windows 8.1 over 10.

Ahh! We've found you :D The one person in the whole world who does :lol:

Everyone has his one preference.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

I own a 27" iMac running 10.13.1 It has the 5k scree and is stunning. I have always had a mac, well for the past 18 years.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sore subject at the moment - Apple and I are not best friends since IOS 11. It has killed my iPhone 6 Plus along with thousands of others it would seem. And don't get me talking about iTunes - that has now killed the ability to browse apps on a desktop since they removed he App store from the latest version. We are now expected to browse and review potential Apps on our phone screens (after visiting the opticians for an electron microscope). Of course, none of us with Apple Watch can downgrade now as that requires IOS 11 to function and is not downgradable.

Instead of a functional, responsive, non laggy, non battery-draining OS, they concentrated on providing us with highly advanced and innovative features ... like ... er... hang on a minute..., oh yes, animated purple unicorns and a new turd emoji.
Crapple Turd.PNG
Really?...

I think Rick Beato, a musician and long time user of Apple products brilliantly (and somewhat emotionally) summed up everything that has gone wrong with Apple since Mr Jobs went to the Big Apple in the sky....

Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

I've never had any problems with any of my Apple kit, well I did blow a power supply on my old 8 year old iMac that apple fixed for the price of the power pack £54. Never had any issues upgrading my iPhone either, I must just be one of the lucky ones.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

At a computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: “If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.”
In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release (by Mr. Welch himself) stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought ‘Car95’ or ‘CarNT’, and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single ‘general car default’ warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say ‘Are you sure?’ before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car’s performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the ‘start’ button to shut off the engine.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

^^^ I like that... It's been doing the rounds for years now but it's still good for a wry smile and a giggle...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

*much grumbling of expletives and gnashing of teeth...*

Mostly pointless computer related rant alert.

So Firefox just updated on all my machines. Fair enough...

I jumped ship from Opera a few years ago when they abandoned their legacy architecture and essentially turned it into a slightly reskinned version of Chrome - the UI of which I simply cannot get along with - despite having tried on two occasions for a period of several months now.

Having spent 10+ years with a particular screen layout (address bar at the top, bookmarks bar below that, screen space in the middle and tabs at the bottom just above the taskbar), that's how my brain works. Attempting not to work on that basis just doesn't work for me. Wasn't a problem when I jumped over to Firefox because there were a plethora of extensions available which allowed you to tweak pretty much any aspect of the UI that you wanted - the only thing I'd not managed to carry over from Opera was the ability to use the control key and arrow keys for forward/back navigation...but that wasn't really the end of the world as my mouse has forward/back buttons on it. It did amuse me somewhat that a lot of the stuff that was provided by the extensions were things that I'd been taking for granted for years...

Until today. Turns out that with version 57 that Firefox have removed support for a lot of (read: most!) extensions, and that they have outright removed the facility for *any* extension to modify the user interface. In fact, even changing the layout of things in the flippin' toolbar requires you to modify a .css document now! There appears to be absolutely no way to shift the tab bar back to where I believe it belongs - at the bottom of the screen.

Sadly just rolling back your web browser to an older version isn't something you can really do safely these days...So I'm pretty much stuck now. Last time I looked Chrome, which is about the only other option I've really got as far as I know, doesn't allow you to do anything by way of modification of the UI beyond changing the colour of things....

If anyone has alternative browser suggestions I'm open to suggestions...

Sounds a bit silly to be making as big a deal out of a change of screen layout I know, but it's tricky to convey the degree of stress that changes to things like that can cause if like me, you happen to be somewhat autistic. We won't even go into what happened at work when they without any prior warning upgraded us from Office XP to 2010 and I first encountered Microsoft's "Ribbon" interface. ...That was also totally aside from the fact that doing so also broke several key spreadsheets and databases I used multiple times daily!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zel I'm right with you on this :twisted:

I saw all my machines update to Firefox V57 'Quantum' today...

It's a bit of a culture shock after being used to the old 'look and feel' for many years. One gets used to 'driving' a given piece of software and it ends up becoming second nature. A radical overhaul means having to completely re-learn how to use it...

With my own set of cognitive issues I don't like radical changes like this; it takes me a long time to get comfortable again.

I'm still not happy with Microsoft when they radically changed the look and feel of Office and brought in those ribbon things... That was years back now and I still cuss it... Thank goodness I only need to use it in anger very occasionally at work and can use LibreOffice at other times...

Having said that, Firefox 57 seems to work OK. Not seen any technical problems with it yet but despite the hype it seems to be no faster and if anything Facebook seems to be slower on it...

I just pray neither Thunderbird or Debian Mint decides to have a radical makeover...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Barely noticed any difference in Firefox Zel.
The few extensions I run are unchanged.
There was a much greater change in Ubuntu with 17.10. Nothing that caused any problems but I did have to search for a few things - how to dump unwanted desktop items (the rubbish bin, ironically) and where they had hidden access to multiple workspaces (easy when you find out).

I rarely do much configuring though, just use it out of the box.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Just realised that trying to "fix" this has actually eaten a significant chunk of my afternoon, and that as a result there are a whole plethora of things I was going to do today have now not happened.

...For office I've got a Virtualbox VM running Windows 2000 and still use Office XP! Still runs faster than LibreOffice does natively...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Can you not roll back a restore point before the install then turn off FF updates Zel?
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I could force it to revert to an earlier version, that's actually quite easy to do through the package manager (running Linux Mint here) and is a matter of about half a dozen button clicks.

The issue is though that with the way the world is today, browsing with an outdated web browser is the computing equivalent of driving around in a car that you know has knackered brakes and bald tyres and leaving all the windows wide open when parked in the middle of a dodgy area of town.

The only virus infestations I've ever had to deal with on any of my machines (on the rare occasions I've used Windows in the last few years unsurprisingly!) were pretty quickly traced to actually having found their way in through active content built into ads on completely legitimate webpages...Not limited to but including Google's own ad platform.

Sadly keeping the browser up to date is the only way to ensure that it's properly secure...which means I've got to be dragged along with the times.

...Doesn't mean that I'm any happier about this journey forward than your average cat is about a trip to the vet though.
Current fleet:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 18:09 The issue is though that with the way the world is today, browsing with an outdated web browser is the computing equivalent of driving around in a car that you know has knackered brakes and bald tyres and leaving all the windows wide open when parked in the middle of a dodgy area of town.

Very true... Keeping the browser and OS up to date is vital. Neglect at your peril...
Jim