Bicycle racks - roof or rear?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I have one of these.

Which I got from roofbox.co.uk

It clamps around the towball and is very secure. The clamp fits completely around the ball and holds tight round the neck so the only way it could move is to twist sideways.

The bikes are held on with straps round the wheels and clamps on the frame. Makes it very quick to get packed up and off.

It is not advised to use the strap on type with a Xantia as they can damage the plastic hatch ( see plenty of people using them though).
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I've still got two brand new never out of the box genuine Citroen cycle racks for fitting on roof bars. If anyone's interested in them give me a shout, I'll be going to the DS Rally on Sunday and could bring them with me.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Paul-R wrote:That last photo is very informative as it answers my question of how they fit on to a tow-bar.
That one of Franklins is not at all like mine, that one also looks quite primative in the bike holding area. The car lights are also getting quite well hidden too.

Mine sits on the tow ball, it can therefore be used on any tow bar, be it a bolt or, a swan neck or a removable.

All you do is sit the cup on the towbar, then tighten the clamp up with a large screw like which which comes with a spanner to get it extra tight. It grabs the ball and sits extremely secure - I have actually stood on the back of the rack! It it totally secure and wont twist sideways. I have confidence driving at my normal speeds around corners with this and 3 bikes on, the strap on ones required careful driving to avoid alarming amounts of movement. Ive also heard stories of those falling off, which is best avoided!

I have a lock which is made by Thule, this covers the screw and means the rack can not be removed, or easily anyway. I have left the car parked all over with the rack on while out cycling and never had any bother.

That towbar one of Franklins looks ok, though I dont like the attachment which needs to be fitted to the rear of the car, a towbar is ugly enough.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 09 Jun 2011, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

PM Sent, Dave.
Franklin
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Homer's bike rack looks like a Thule, same as Chris' (CitroenMad).

My rack is also a Thule, but 2 bike type, bought 2-3 yrs ago, just as Thule were starting to sell an improved and much more expensive rack.

Initially I was sceptical about the tow ball clamp part, but it certainly clamps on nice and tight. Used my rack about 5 times so far, and no problems, though the bikes themselves do move about a bit in the rear view mirror. I tend to not exceed 50/55 mph

Used the rack today, rather than the previous practice of laying 1 mountain bike on top of the other, with back seats down (Xantia), and think I'll use the rack more in the future. Not sure my arm muscles are up to putting bikes on a roof mounted rack. The C5 may have a few more inches inside, with the back seats down, which could make putting 1 bike inside much easier than with a Xantia?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I have had one bike inside my car when I have just taken one somewhere, though more often than not its 2 or 3 which need to be transported.

The thule bike rack holds the bikes very stable at higher motorway speeds too. The bikes do sway around a little on it when corner, but again they are secure and I stick to my normal driving with them on. Not so with the previous strap on one which was very unnerving.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10