Ripper Day Out

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Ripper Day Out

Post by addo »

Tuesday was a public holiday here, so I bundled a friend into the Xantia and we hit the frog.

Over a return journey of approximately 650km, we encountered intense rain sheeting water across the road, grappled rogue semi trailers, enjoyed sunny dry tarmac and loose gravelly dirt, saw the bottom of a rainbow (yes, really; amazing I know), were chased by Police desperate for someone to breath test - twice - got a puncture tooling about in a gravel river bed and still managed to stop at a chippy on the way home.

Fuel light isn't on yet either, and I have leftovers beyond the chip butty all wrapped up for tomorrow lunch. :mrgreen:

I'm biased - but to me, a large part of owning a very capable French car, is using it! We covered the roads in comfort, and with confidence.

Cheers, Adam.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good stuff Adam, I can relate to a fair bit of that story ;)
Ozzie Kuma
My Cars:

Post by Ozzie Kuma »

addo, just read your "disappointed " post, sorry about your mechanic , overheating car & friend, but that drive was probably the best medicine.

I did something similar in the V6. My work takes me to remote hill tops , some great back roads & bush tracks, many are 4x4 but this trip were 2 wheel drive access so instead of taking a company tank,( Ford Holden), I took the V6,.. OHHHH what a joy...beautiful weather, don't know how many kms it was ,.. many, Wagga , Wyalong, Forbes, home,.. 3 days,.. only problem was it was very cold..but fanging along on the edge of adhesion kept me warm, & the V6 was wonderful, it just loved those roads.... found one 5km bit of private road, dead straight, knew I had to come back along it so I checked it out on the way up thinking of the way back,... visibility 100% 360', you know what it is like out there..,so I opened up the V6 & it just stuck to the road,.. 220 kph & it still had plenty to go, but the 5 kms ended too quickly, back to boring 110kms all the way home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98 Xantia V6 MK2
95 Xantia VSX