Tesco fuel is rubbish

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

411514 wrote:citrojim i always had that opinion as well, common sense would lead you to that conclusion but as i said it was only ever done the once in 2 and a bit years, i imagine tesco know the relevant law regarding this down to a tee and do the bare minimum. Might i add that the testing is not even an external government affair but an internal tesco contractor so even if the pump is miles out there is no fine that tesco must pay, not unless a consumer was able to prove a loss and take action throught the civil courts i imagine. If tescos policy on fuel quality is the same all over as it was in the station i worked at we regularly left the tanks on too low so that the fuel being drawn would be the dirty full of particles and water fuel from the bottom of the tank rather than turning the tank off at 1000l or so, simply because we were told to as the manager would get a kicking for running out of fuel
Ouch :shock:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

No, retail fuel dispensing pumps have to comply with weights and measures regulations for accuracy and are tested on a compulsory routine basis in order for the site to hold a certificate to dispense fuel.
I believe the public can ask to see the certificate.

On the subject if fuel quality, any fuel dispensed to the public must meet the relevant BSEN standard so it is unlikely there would be any subjective difference in fuel performance, type for type.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

411514 wrote:the fuel being drawn would be the dirty full of particles and water fuel from the bottom of the tank rather than turning the tank off at 1000l or so, simply because we were told to as the manager would get a kicking for running out of fuel
Not really an issue as the fuel isn't drawn right from the bottom of the tank and there are filters on the outlet and at each pump anyway. Then cars have more than one filter in the fuel system as a final defence against contamination.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Post by Xantic »

Well i have just done 270 miles since filling up at the local Total garage.

Car runs smoother, Not all in my mind at all.
I might be getting old but senile i am not......yet..!!

The arguments against and for what fuel is better for the car will go on for ever.
Some are convinced certain fuel is better while others disagree..

I say think what you like about the fuel debate but lets not argue about it.

I have another rant tonight about the price of Hotels but i wont go in to that or i shall be opening another can of worms..lol..

I am still alive and breathing and enjoying the weather.. what more could i want..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if Tesco and the likes are allowed to completly ignor the European rules on how there meat is reared as in animal welfare,

who says they arent useing a dodggy practice with there fuel,

regards malcolm
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Because they would have to defy official weights and measure regulations which would put them at definite risk of any guilty site being prevented from trading and a fine. Ok, the fine probably wouldn't be a deterrent being stopped from trading would.
Please don't think I'm an a particular advocate of Tesco, actually I think some of their trading practices are deplorable, but that applies to any supermarket chain. However, fuel is expensive and my quest will always be to reduce my expenditure on it as little as possible. Non of my vehicles has ever had a problem running on any supermarket fuel, thats petrol or diesel, cars and motorcycles, so I have no reason to stop using it and a very good reason to continue.
Now, when is Aldi going to start fuel retailing ??!!
Last edited by HDI on 27 Apr 2011, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I almost always use Sainsburys 95 RON UL for the swift even though its specced to run at 97 and never relly notice any difference, infact the nieghbour last night was very impressed with how quick it was with a full tank and the nippers in the back :)

I sometimes stick in Shell Vpower just to ensure its cleaned out a little as i've seen the picture of engines run with and without it and at the most it give an extra 0.5-1mpg over a tank on the trip computer and from my brim to brim testign its quite accurate.

I mainly use sains because of the points and the price is amoungst the lowest round here other than the asda automat which i've used before and found to be underwhelming as it always makes the swift feel rough, been many months since i've used it from there, maybe even a year!
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

If your swift is actually intended to run on 97 octane i think you could end up doing some harm by running on 95,
particularly now the weather is warming up and the chance of overheating is greater,
from what i hear you should probably try to stick to one type of fuel all the time rather than changing as on newer cars the ecu can adjust certain parameters in aid of performance or other desirable characteristics depending on the quality and properties of the fuel.
All these fuel companies make great claims about their super fuels in terms of increased mileage and performance so presumably there has to be some substance behind it, surely barefaced lies would be exposed
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The only difference I ever noticed between my (very) local supermarket and other garages is the hole left in my Visa card balance after I got ripped off by a tampered chip and pin machine at the latter.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The SSS should really run on 97, but as its not always available the engine is designed to run on 95 as well, even states it on the fuel cap :)

Never had any bad side affects from it that i can think of and the car is still under warranty and just had its cat and lambdas replaced which i doubt would be from a 2point drop in ron fuel running long term. it doesn't pink that i can tell on even hot days, the engine warms up just as quick as its always done, though a bit slower than the old activa used to :D and saves me money running it which is good considering it rarely gets above 36mpg and does worse on a run than around town :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Tesco fuel is rubbish

Post by myglaren »

I see that the ASA have taken to task Shell for their advertisements of the Fuelsave petrol & diesel.

Report here.

So I probably won't be hearing that seductive voice on Classic FM any more.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:I see that the ASA have taken to task Shell for their advertisements of the Fuelsave petrol & diesel.

Report here.

So I probably won't be hearing that seductive voice on Classic FM any more.

A good decision I think, and interesting to see how much effort Shell had put in to be able to substantiate their claims, they were just extrapolating too much for the ASA's liking.
It doesn't strike me that there was a deliberate attempt to deceive customers, the fuel can increase mpg.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I found a huge increase in mpg when I stopped using supermarket fuel about ten years ago, and a corresponding improvement in performance and smoke test results. It wasn't immediate but over time the range on a tank of fuel improved from 450 miles to 650 miles. Tesco even water down meat so it would be naive to think they don't do the same with fuel.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I never use supermarket fuel, I would rather run out!

I did used to use it years ago, but found it just was not economical to use it. At the time it cost a bit more to fill up with Shell but I got far more miles from the tank. Ive heard HDi injectors, and a lot of modern injectors, are ruined by cheap supermarket fuels, so that is excuse enough not to use it.

I only ever use Shell now, when not possible then I use BP but thats my lot. There are a lot of Shell garages around here and they are the same price as supermarkets too.

Ive heard many bad things about supermarket fuels and anyone who suggests fuel is fuel is very misinformed. Its similar to people thinking a tyre is a tyre! Though I wont get into that :lol:

Its a shame Shell has been proven slightly wrong in their fuel saving, though its still the best fuel around.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I always use Total now, seeing it's French.
Makes the exhaust smell of Garlic :)