Royston to get hidden ANPR cameras

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Royston to get hidden ANPR cameras

Post by Chris570 »

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=23400

What do we think here..

my belief is that its only a matter of time before this kind of thing becomes commonplace and not just used for tracking "known criminals" because with all of that data there already collected its inevitable that it will be used for monitoring/average speed....

although i have no issue with a nationwide anpr system for no insurance/MOT/ Tax checking with police patrols (so you can explain you're driving the car to an MOT test to a person as opposed to a faceless government dept) That i see as a good thing :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

My default reaction to anything regarding road traffic snooping is suspicion, UK government just cannot be trusted.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

HDI wrote:My default reaction to anything regarding road traffic snooping is suspicion, UK government just cannot be trusted.
Agree totally except that it's not just the UK governemnt!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

They're installing "hidden" cameras and a spokesman said the public who "who have nothing to hide, have nothing to fear".

Implies, and correctly IMO, that we need to fear those running the system.

It's flouted as being a tool to track "criminals". Presumably these criminals they're targeting have to be honest enough to register their car correctly and not use fake plates etc? Makes me feel safe from crime already! :roll:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Not bothered, there are already loads of ANPR cameras around, unlike speed cameras they actually do a proper job of catching criminals.
As for the gov, I trust this lot more than the last bunch of voyeurs. It's the police I don't trust, there have been numerous cases of abuse of powers and corruption (of which I have personal experience) or incompetance which have led to justice being denied.
However, I have yet to hear of anything like that relating to ANPR devices, speed guns yes, where one copper and his colleages fudged it to get someone he disliked convicted of speeding when they weren't.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i might be a tad sinical but i thought they had/were installing ANPR at all main road junctions/traffic lights already,

i dont trust any member of parliment they are all as bed as each other,

is it just one of them been put inside fir fiddling, ( sacrificial lamb and all that)

besides i belive we aint controled by the lot in this country anyway they are just puppets,

i also belive the police are controled by the bloated blutacrats at the top,

were'z me put that soap box

regards malcolm
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I just heard this lunchtime on the news that the speed cameras in Oxfordshire are going to be switched back on again.

No idea who'll be paying for the running costs (I reached my destination) but I'll take a guess that they'll be funded by the fines levied.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Paul-R wrote:I just heard this lunchtime on the news that the speed cameras in Oxfordshire are going to be switched back on again.

No idea who'll be paying for the running costs (I reached my destination) but I'll take a guess that they'll be funded by the fines levied.
iirc it was the police footing the bill for that
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I wouldn't worry about ANPR cameras as at the rate that at which front line Police numbers are presently being reduced, very soon there won't be any Police Officers left to enforce anything.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: very soon there won't be any Police Officers left to enforce anything.
But the cameras will... All 'enforcement' via camera can be done without a human even lifting a finger thanks to IT...

I'm with Xac on this one... If the ANPR cameras catch up with uninsured/untaxed/unMOT'd vehicles and their owners are properly brought to book then good. I'm all for it..

If you run a legal car and you're legal yourself then ANPR is no bad thing.

Having said that, a few old-school Rozzers on the prowl beat any sort of camera hands-down for getting to grips with the worst danger of all: the kind of dangerous, lunatic driving we see every day but no enforcement cameras can see and act upon...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Passive enforcement only taxes minor offenders and the lax/disorganised.

Then the wording of legislation usually is changed to pass the "burden of proof" to the defendant - this being due to the large number of potential challenges to a prosecution (many upon traditionally fair grounds).

Unlike a police car patrolling with the crew's eyes and ears open, the covert devices have no means to apprehend (say) a speeding stolen car full of stolen goods, that will shortly be dumped and set alight.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

unless they ZAPP it with several thousand volts, isnt that what the yanks do,

on top of being caught they will face a big repair bill for the electronics on there car being frazled, thats if it was there car in the first place,

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have read that they are popular in Czechoslovakia - for about ten minutes - until the Czechs blow them up.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote: very soon there won't be any Police Officers left to enforce anything.
But the cameras will... All 'enforcement' via camera can be done without a human even lifting a finger thanks to IT...
Not entirely and with so many back room staff losing their job's there will be little in the way of enforcement of any laws, hence why all targets for Police detection rates have now been removed :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

further to Jim's point...

the kind of dangerous, lunatic driving we see every day but no enforcement cameras can see and act upon...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... geway.html

If the police are using evidence from on-board recording devices already, then I guess they will be standard fitment soon

I had better disable gears 3-6 on the motorbike, as 2nd gets it to 90 :twisted: