Diesel Surcharge

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Diesel Surcharge

Post by myglaren »

How soon before they use this as an excuse and apply more increases to diesel users.

Daily Toryrag
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Typical enviro nonsense that is used to muster up extra cash !!

So, trucks, taxi's, trains and most of all BUSES will presumably also be surcharged for their MUCH bigger contribution to the ALLEGED problem then ?!

How about Jet aviation traffic around principal UK cities, their emissions are similar in substance and of HUGE volume.

This country is setting new records for bureaucratic stupidity.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Only if they need to buy a permit to park outside their homes, if they don't then they won't be affected.

Of course this, to my knowledge, breaches the Kyoto agreement by disencouraging people to drive lower CO2 emitting vehicles.
It's a similar argument that was used to get the 2500L duty free limit on veg oil.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I can imagine how a few hundred quid extra per year will be a big incentive to Chelsea residents to change their habits - NOT. :roll:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's only £15 more for a diesel car.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:It's only £15 more for a diesel car.
Thin end of the wedge, now the idea has been planted it's all downhill.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Whilst i in no way approve of the governments methods of rinsing the british public in general and specifically levying various and numerous types of tax's on car drivers under the guise of environment, i do to some extent support the theory behind this. Whilst diesels may produce less co2 the stuff that comes out of the exhaust is truly foul, full of noxious gases and particles, i drive a diesel myself purely because is it cheaper and i do think that maybe it wouldnt be a bad thing to use diesel revenues to subsidise small petrols. I regularly cycle along a road chock full of bus's and trucks and at every set of lights you get blasted with a haze of heady gases, you only have to see the soot deposits on the bumper by the exhaust of a diesel to wonder what is going into our lungs.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Seems a bit unfair given most modern diesels have anti-particulate measures up the backside because of our good friends in Brussels...

I would have said the biggest source of particulates would be things like trucks and buses which evidently don't have to comply to the same regulations regarding particulates that cars have to.

They tax us for producing too much CO2 then come up with a way to tax us for producing less CO2... :evil:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Chlorate wrote:Seems a bit unfair given most modern diesels have anti-particulate measures up the backside because of our good friends in Brussels...
True, but I regularly see even modern diesels chucking out clouds of potentially cancer-causing soot.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sl4yer wrote:
Chlorate wrote:Seems a bit unfair given most modern diesels have anti-particulate measures up the backside because of our good friends in Brussels...
True, but I regularly see even modern diesels chucking out clouds of potentially cancer-causing soot.

James
Not sure about the carcinogenic properties of soot but you certainly see a lot of it emanating from non PSA exhausts, even brand new models.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If diesel cars emiited more pollution than petrol cars when parked a parking surcharge could be justified.

They're using air pollution as a justification, I wonder how many of the cars driving in the borough in question actually belong to residents and how many belong to outsiders.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Although slightly off topic, it was not that long ago (certainly early 90's I remember) diesel was a fair bit cheaper than petrol.

It should be cheaper too as far as I understand it its easier to produce it in needing less refining, someone correct this point though if I'm wrong.

I guess the increase in derv usage for cars since, mostly thanks to the PSA group at the time as most other's derv engines were a bit um, poor was the 'excuse' for govt / oil companies to charge as much if not more for the fuel now.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG