Next "Ignoramus Grade" Question: Mobile Internet

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Next "Ignoramus Grade" Question: Mobile Internet

Post by addo »

OK, firstly I realise there are going to be some differences between countries - but what is really sought here, is a Plain English explanation of something.

What I am wondering, is if one wants to lightly use the internet via portable computer (as opposed to a smartphone) pretty much anywhere in an urban environment - what technology is involved/required?

The envisaged application would be access to ServiceBox etc, and emailing of saved data from PP or Lexia. No YouTube or similar, possibly the odd bit of Google or Fleabay (etc) to check prices or purchase items. An excellent degree of security in the signal/connection would thus be desirable.

Looking forward to any enlightenment!

Thanks, Adam.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Adam, I have a vodaphone USB dongle.. it will pick up whatever bandwidth is available as things stand.. so GPRS (old dial up) 3G and 3G+ (urban areas)

it cost me about 20£ and is pay as I go, and the best bit, it doesnt expire! so i dont have to use the credit on it every month - which for a telecomms company I find astounding!

anyway, about the size of a USB memory stick. plugs into side of netbook and off I go..

job done :)

ohh and if you're out of town, stick the usb device on a parabolic dish and point it at sydney and she may be right :twisted:

the other option is to grab other wireless networks and avoid telecommunications via mobile masts.. but you cant always guarantee them

afraid i have no idea re sucurity :shock:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

OK, gotcha.

That was enough info to understand a little more about how the telcos actually provide such a service (and what products to compare) - which I hadn't been clear on before, as I'd noticed some cafés and such were advertising "hotspots".

Now we need an expert on security with the USB modems!

Cheers, Adam.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

ahh hotspots.. i used them a lot on my trip down under ;)
these are cafes and so on, that have wireless internet (not wireless mobile) and they are offering use of it, often for free, sometimes increasingly not though..

You open a browser while in their catchment, and you get sent to a login screen where you register and often pay for some airtime..

swings and roundabouts Adam.. I will always be ok with the mobile networks from the dongle, and it seems a cheap way of using the net.. but with normal wireless broadband it can be free, chargeable, reliable or not etc..

to be honest I use either really depending.. good thing about mobile internet, if you have a driver, on the british motorways now you can access the net to peruse ebay while doing 120 kph :twisted: certainly i ahve had some luck at this bizarre past time :D
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Security isnt too bad with the USB devices but the GSM stuff is easy to get into if you have a few 100$ and some time. to be honest for light personal/business use i wouldn't worry. if your using a laptop though i would ensure you have a backup of it every few days at worst and use something like trucrypt to encrypt the HDD incase the unit gets stolen at least your data is safe. also if using a PAYG dongle on the road a lot just kleep the credit amount on it low, say under $20 so that if it does get nicked you don't loose too much. also worth buying a spare or logn life battery. for my works laptop i have the standard Lenovo R400 6 cell battery and then an extra 9cell extended one that gives me upto 3hours of charge on the train with wifi turned on or 5hours with it off and some screen dimming.

If the battery/laptop is a wee bit 'mature' then investing in a DC12v to mains adapter is a good idea as it can charge while you drive between jobs then..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I don't think the dongles are like the old USB ADSL modems ISPs would give away free, where your computer would be directly attached to the internet, visible for all.
I know on O2 that there is network translation between the internet and my phone, so I can't connect to my phone when it's on the internet.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thats not the bit to worry about as long as you have a FW or suchlike installed on the machine. the interception of signal is the real security issue to worry about.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

KP wrote:Thats not the bit to worry about as long as you have a FW or suchlike installed on the machine. the interception of signal is the real security issue to worry about.
I'd say there's much more chance of attack over the internet connection than someone snooping you mobile connection

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

its pretty easy tbh and easier than getting in thru the tinterwebs but i see your point. we are digressing though :D
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Thanks for all the responses, info and digressions. :wink:

Say, a typical scenario might be: I turn up at someone's house/back lane/workshop - wherever their car (probably a Xsara II, right?) has expired.

Car is plugged in and Lexiated. Based on results plus observations I say OK, could do with a new forward oxy sensor/coilpack/cam variator etc.

Still at the car, it's onto Service.Citroen and the part number is verified, then I hit Fleabay and other suppliers to compare offerings. Customer is given their options, and if unavailable through the local wholesaler, an order for parts may be placed on the spot using either PP or slush fund debit card.

Reason it's all tied in like this, is the small amount of mobile diagnosis I'm doing would preferably be "packaged". Experience in my main industry has been, that a technical report/recommendations should be paid for immediately or customers start to accept the information, imagine they knew it all along and question the requirement to pay...

Doesn't sound like security is going to be a real concern, which is good.

Cheers, Adam.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

jgra1 wrote: it cost me about 20£ and is pay as I go, and the best bit, it doesnt expire!
vodafone dropped the non expiring package, if you buy one now you get more internet for your money but the topup expires after 30 days.

Another way to do it is use your mobile phone as a modem, check your contract allows what is known as "tethering" first.

It can be done using bluetooth. If your laptop doesn't have bluetooth you can get a tiny USB adapter which barely protrudes.

This has a couple of advantages: The cost comes out of your regular phone contract, which if it doesn't already have a data allowance you should be able to add one to it. And there is no fiddling with dongles or cables just fire it up and connect.

The speeds you will get can vary a lot, if you can't get 3G then ebay will probably be too slow to use (the mobile phone site/app might be a better way).
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

ahh ok Homer.. didn't know that about VF cancelling the non expiring dongles..

one bizarre thing last week.. I rented a cottage in South devon.. well, a stone strucuture! no power or water! but I could access 3G from the laptop/dongle combination, yet not a chance of a phone signal! quite suprised.. guessing that the dongle picks up mobile signal better than the mobile!>?

John
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

jgra1 wrote: one bizarre thing last week.. I rented a cottage in South devon.. well, a stone strucuture! no power or water! but I could access 3G from the laptop/dongle combination, yet not a chance of a phone signal! quite suprised.. guessing that the dongle picks up mobile signal better than the mobile!>?
Never heard that, I assume they are both on the same network?

Then again some phones are pretty bad at getting a signal.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

jgra1 wrote:ahh ok Homer.. didn't know that about VF cancelling the non expiring dongles..

one bizarre thing last week.. I rented a cottage in South devon.. well, a stone strucuture! no power or water! but I could access 3G from the laptop/dongle combination, yet not a chance of a phone signal! quite suprised.. guessing that the dongle picks up mobile signal better than the mobile!>?

John
Dongle has a better aerial in it than the mobile, or the mobile is an iphone 4 and you're "holding it wrong" :D

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:D

yep both same network.. just a generic nokia thing..

worth knowing though, if you are in a bad phone area you might still be able to get online..

J