Which to buy? Citroen C5 V6 vs Renault Laguna V6

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

C5 or Laguna?

Comfort before performance - C5
83%
Laguna will tidy up well!
17%

Total votes: 12

R9UKE
My Cars:

Which to buy? Citroen C5 V6 vs Renault Laguna V6

Post by R9UKE »

My cheque for the sale of the Vel Satis has finally been cashed, and I want to spend it. I'm considering another V6 (even though I won't be able to drive it until insurance is sorted out, until then, my mother has kindly volunteered to use it :D )

Now I know you guys like to express a point of view, so knock yourself out. If I were to go down the V6 route I have two waiting. Sitting around, unwanted due to the running costs I presume. Both could be had for £700

The first car is a Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive SE. A 2001 Y reg, and it used to be my car! It's up for sale again. It has 145,000 miles. Known issues from when I had it:
Battery went flat after 2 days of left standing (Battery was brand new)
1 electric window not working
2 Seat heaters not working
Odd hesitation below 1500 rpm (No faults shown on dash)

Other than that it was beautiful car that I'd love to own again.

Next candidate is a 2002 Renault Laguna 3.0 V6 Auto. Privilège. It has 104,000 miles and I haven't driven it yet. It went through a few weeks of winter with the passenger window down (after it fell into the door, typical Laguna). The interior is now very wet, and pretty mouldy. But a good clean up and she'll be good. Oh and I'd need to get a new window regulator for that door as the window is currently held up by tape and a screwdriver!

Both cars have an MOT until August and no tax.

The C5s official figures are 0-60 in 9.7 secs and 27.7 MPG
The Laguna does 0-60 in 8.1 secs (far quicker) and 27.9 MPG.

The Laguna is not the range topper, so does without the sat nav, full leather and electric seats of the C5. But all other goodies are there. I'm currently leaning towards it as it's the more lively performer, better looker and.... it's a Renault :D

Or I could just start buying up crappy £200 Xantias and Volvos like I'm doing already? :)

Here are the cars. Pics of the C5 from when I had it... it's in pretty much the same condition. Laguna has sat in situ since last MOT

Views?

Last edited by R9UKE on 05 Feb 2011, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
French is best.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

C5!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

myglaren wrote:Or this? :)
At 10X the price that might be a bit difficult. Nice car though!

And I had a feeling that would be your response Chris. Record for your shortest ever post!? :lol:
French is best.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If it were me in your position I would start using the money to buy cheap cars through work and either stick them on gumtree or the bay and make some money from each one. Slowly building up your stockpile of cash and working up the car chain but never putting in more than 50% of what you have into a single shed as to minimise risk but to keep the possibility of a return and even if each return is only 100-150 per machine then its still money for little work/input :-) then you could get something newer and afford the insurance! :-D
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

KP wrote:If it were me in your position I would start using the money to buy cheap cars through work and either stick them on gumtree or the bay and make some money from each one. Slowly building up your stockpile of cash and working up the car chain but never putting in more than 50% of what you have into a single shed as to minimise risk but to keep the possibility of a return and even if each return is only 100-150 per machine then its still money for little work/input :-) then you could get something newer and afford the insurance! :-D
You're absolutely right. It's been working so far, made £120 on a Micra I had for less than 24 hours last week. I need to get a sensible head, just can't resist when I know I have the money.

Still, If I'm driving an Avantime this time next year it would all be worth it. OK. Glad you answered :)
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote: And I had a feeling that would be your response Chris. Record for your shortest ever post!? :lol:
I thought that would get a response :lol:

Didn't have the time to stop and chat then, so here is a longer version now ...

You know what I think of C5s and id like to sample a V6 myself. Given that you have already owned that car and its cheap id be very tempted. However, why did you sell it originally? I actually hate selling cars, i wish i could keep them all!

I remember you posting about that Laguna before, the interior is no where near as nice as the C5s! And id be a little concerned at any damage the open window and moisture has caused, particularly to the electrics.

Im quite surprised at the performance figures and the difference between them. Though performance doesnt concern me that much, as long as its no slouch im usually happy. Dont get me wrong, I use all the power a car has to give, but thats the point. Though as a second car to have for fun the faster would be tempting ... Can it offer the mixture of excellent ride quality (what all luxury cars should have) but with a more stiffened and controlled ride when your in sport?

Id be looking to see which cars have the potential to go wrong less often and which would cost less to put it right. As you don't really want to be pouring money into either.

There would be no contest for me, C5 would be where my money would go 8-)

As for buying and selling, your in the perfect job! Ive tried it a few times with cars i know sell well, but unless you source the cars locally, find them at good prices with minimal that needs spending its hard to make any real money. I bought on last year which i was impressed with, drove to Scotland for the car, got some body work done, serviced, two new tyres, general tidy up, did a few miles in it and sold it with a £500 profit, not bad considering what i spent on it. Generally, i break even or loose, but its nice to experience different cars anyway. Though ive found autotrader doesn't like me now, so i wont be buying any more to sell.

Ive only once bought a car from an auction, it was ok, though as I expected there was loads more to do with the car than i first thought. Though i bought it for a stop gap car, and not to make money. For some reason it was a Fiat Stilo, no naturally everything was already falling off and breaking, still, it had a nice revving engine.

The problem I have is i try to get every car perfect, so i replace anything slightly broken, anything damaged, i add extra bits often and so on. Make sure they are fully serviced, even if that means cambelts and the likes. I realise this isnt the way to go, but i enjoy it and get the experience of another car.

If you could successfully buy and sell your way to your ideal car, then that would be perfect!

ANy sign of your insurance being 'doable' any time soon? If not, id be tempted to stick with buying cars from the auction that you know will sell and making a bit of money.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Can you get 3.0 V6 Lagunas with a manual box?

I resent the fact id have to have an automatic with a 3.0 C5, id much prefer a manual box.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

If you insist on choosing between these 2, it has to be the C5.

Or option C, get a Xantia V6...
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If I had all the bits to put it back into good order, and if the V6 actually works rather than the dCI engines, I'd definitely go for the Laguna.
The interior of the C5 looks awful, cheap and nasty like dad's old Picasso.
The exterior is vile too.
At least with the Laguna you'd get to look at an attractive car before you get in.
I really wish the dCI's were more reliable, I'd then have an option after we run out of Xantias and XMs. *sigh*
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I think you should of made this a poll thread :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

I wouldn't buy either TBH. They're both ugly*, but as condition is a factor too, I'd walk away from the Laguna. The C5 at least has some attempt at flair inside, whereas the Laguna's interior is a massive yawn. It doesn't have any redeeming features in my mind.

But it's your £700.

Personally, I'd look at - as Robert says - a Xantia V6 - or an XM.

* I should add: In MY opinion! :roll:
Last edited by citroenesque on 05 Feb 2011, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Alternatively, get a V6 Coupé. Available in Auto or Manual and can be had for not much more than than either the C5 or Laguna.

Something to think about... :wink:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im glad someone agrees with me on the Lagunas interior, in that drab looking brown colour it looks like a Jap car, almost, it would still be screwed together!

C5s dash is a much neater and more user-friendly looking design too. Its not cheaply put together either, better quality than a lot of other Citroens ... it stands the test of time like Xms and Xantias too.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Citroenmad wrote:Im glad someone agrees with me on the Lagunas interior, in that drab looking brown colour it looks like a Jap car, almost, it would still be screwed together!

C5s dash is a much neater and more user-friendly looking design too. Its not cheaply put together either, better quality than a lot of other Citroëns ... it stands the test of time like Xms and Xantias too.
The laguna's interior is grey, the high iso on the photos has caused noise giving it a brown tint I believe.
Laguna's interiors are lovely and plush, with the sleek centre console, hiding the radio and cup holders - oh god the cup holders a great!
The buttons are all in the right place, it's all vinyl like coated rather than cheap shiny wood effect plastic. The radio's not some demented shape, there are cubby holes galore, it feels like a MK3 Xantia should feel like sitting in it.
Massive storage in the arm rest and a 12v socket inside along with one in the boot.
Mine was the most comfortable non-hydraulic car I've had the pleasure to drive.

The C5 on the other hand looks like it was thrown together by someone who CBA to do a decent design. The outside looks like a failed attempt to design a car to look like TB2!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool