Are the rumours true?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Are the rumours true?

Post by citroenesque »

That under no circumstances should I buy a Scenic 1.9 dCi because the engine is one big PHAIL
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
messerschmitt owner
My Cars:

Re: Are the rumours true?

Post by messerschmitt owner »

citroenesque wrote:That under no circumstances should I buy a Scenic 1.9 dCi because the engine is one big PHAIL
correct!

And Espaces in decent nick with the not much better 2.2dci are rarer than, well, a decent Renault diesel engine ...
Image My XMs
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Even my vans 2.5DCI is a liability.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes your right, its a shame as its actually a great engine when it works.

There is a good Renault forum around which lists issues with them, the LagunaII section is full of issues with the 1.9DCi.

The gearboxes can crunch and need replacing, the turbo can blow, many report EGR problems but they can go through engines. Im sure when I was looking engine replacements were anywhere from 30K miles upwards ...

I knew someone with a 2004 1.9DCi Megane hatch, it got to 105K miles, then the engine developed a serious knock. It was stripped, one of the main bearings had burnt and worn out. With the damage caused a replacement engine seemed the best option. It was replaced with a second hand engine, which when fitted, had the same fault. Again it was stripped and the same fault was found.

We had a 1.9DCi ScenicII a few years ago, we bought it at a year old and sold it at 3 years old - not wanting to own it out of warranty. It was a really nice car though, just slightly ruined by its reliability reputation and issues we had with it.

We didnt have any engine problems, but with 22K miles the 6 speed box started to crunch - took it back to Renault who said its a common problem but is not bad enough to change yet! At around 20K miles the clutch started to make a loud whirring noise. Rear tyres (Michelins) lasted only 20K as they toe in at the rear and scrub off tyres, they also jump sideways on individual bumps as a result.

AVOID the 1.9!

I believe the 1.5DCi is slightly more reliable.

Or, depending on how big a car you need, the C8/807 would be something to look at. Or there are the Sharan/Alhambra MPVs, which are great.

With the ScenicII being one of the first longer small MPVs with 7 seats it does give good value for money now. There is a 2004 1.9DCi Grand Scenic Dynamique just around the corner from me for £4000 - seems like a bargain.

There is always a Zafira, but cars dont get any more boring!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I thought the usual fault with these was that they ran on their own engine oil all the way to destruction.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

i think a certain problem exists where the sump slowly fills with diesel until its too full and away she goes, cant remember what causes it though.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Well the 1.9dCi does appear, as I suspected, to be a pile of crap.

What about the earlier non-common rail DT?
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

as I suspected, to be a pile of crap.
Are you quoting the original press release there phil or is this pure speculation :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Deanxm wrote:
as I suspected, to be a pile of crap.
Are you quoting the original press release there phil or is this pure speculation :lol:

D
Its direct from Renault that statement, is it not? :roll:

When we had sold off all three of our 'problematic' Renaults, the Service Manager who had been dealing with our many complains actually admitted that not one car they offered new did not have design faults! (this was in 2006/7)

I can think of many, though, I wont list them :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Citroenmad wrote:When we had sold off all three of our 'problematic' Renaults, the Service Manager who had been dealing with our many complains actually admitted that not one car they offered new did not have design faults! (this was in 2006/7)
Our Citroens aren't without their design faults, rear brake callipers and strut tops spring to mind!
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Kowalski wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:When we had sold off all three of our 'problematic' Renaults, the Service Manager who had been dealing with our many complains actually admitted that not one car they offered new did not have design faults! (this was in 2006/7)
Our Citroëns aren't without their design faults, rear brake callipers and strut tops spring to mind!
I would never say they are, but those you have mentioned only arise once the cars starts getting older, so some thing are to be expected. With Renaults, the designed in issues often show themselves while still within warranty, which is why ours was sold before the warranty was out or just after.

The RX4 Scenic we had, Renault did not do anything with the brake vacuum on the petrol engined ones. Diesels had a differen vacuum which wokred as normal. But the brakes on the petrol, like we had, were seriously dangerous. Fine for every day driving, but come to do an amergancy stop and it had nothing more to give. The brake pedal went down to a metalic stop and could not be pressed any more. We were almost involved in two accidents due to it, one when a car pulled out in front, the Scenic stopped but not nearly quikcly enough and the second time it sailed through a set of traffic lights on red, despite having the brakes fully applied. The day after it was traded in for a Megane II.

The brakes almost failed the MOT test, it went back to Renault, had new discs and pads and a full inspection, but it was no better. We tried a few, even ones we saw driving around we asked the owner and drove a few too. The petrols were all the same.

Ive since heard numerous reports of them causing accidents, one local lady smashed through a florests because it didnt stop at a junction, someone else told me they had been crashed into by an RX4, the driver saying ti just wouldnt stop.

Years after selling that one the Renault garage told us that there was a problem with the brakes on petrol RX4s and that there was no fix.

A seriously bad design issues for any manufacturer, let alone one which prides itself on safety. Again a real shame as the Rx4 would an excellent bit of kit.

The six month old meganeII we swapped it for lasted two weeks before it went back, it was riddled with faults. The ScenicII DCi which replaced that was better, but not without its problems (crunchy gears, noisey clutch etc) so that went the journey too.

I really do like Renaults, but they are often not easy cars to own.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10