Dentists

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Dentists

Post by Xaccers »

Found a dentist in Wolverton taking on NHS patients, and as I've not been in years, signed up.
Had a checkup a couple of weeks ago, was advised I'd need a wisdom tooth removed under general, and the molar in front will need a filling as the decay has spread being that they're pushed right up against each other.
She wants to try and fill it before the wisdom tooth comes out, but depending how the extraction goes, the molar might need to come out too, and if not, she'll probably have to re-do the filling. Call me cynical but why do the same filling twice?
She also said I needed to see the hygenist for a scale and polish, so I made an appointment and have just got back.
They charged me £32.50 which I thought was strange, and Danielle said she was sure it should have been included in the initial £16.50 check up fee.
We looked it up, and yes, scale and polish is included, even if it doesn't take place at the same time but within 2 months.
So I called them to query why I was over charged.
"It's a private treatment"
But I'm NHS I said, it should have been included in the £16.50 I've already paid.
"No, it's a more intense scale and polish that goes deeper than the NHS one"
Oh really? Then why have I still got a stain on one of my teeth, and why was it no different to previous scale and polishes I've had on the NHS?
"Oh they can't clean teeth"
Right, so I suppose I'll have to complain to the PCT then?
"If you like"

I'm fuming and I've already left a negative review of them detailing their "upsale" techniques.
I'm now certain that the plan to fill my molar before the wisdom tooth is pulled is to get more money.
:grr:
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Not a great experience!

I dont see why a filling would be required before removing your other tooth, that does seem odd and twice the pain if its got to be done twice!

Dentist are quite hard to get into now, so changing to another might be difficult.

Im booked in for a check up next Friday, really looking forward to it :roll:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I had a very similar experience with our dentist a few years ago.

I had put off a clean for many years as I didn't want to pay and I was, at that time, unemployed. After finding employment I decided to go for the clean and made an appointment. Unfortunately I forgot about it and, although I made a last minute attempt to rearrange, missed the appointment.

I then had a moan about being forced into this service because the dentist didn't do cleaning any more and was stunned to be told that they still did. As you have found out, I was told that they still did a scale and polish which, I pointed out to the receptionist, at no time had this ever been mentioned in the several years hey had been promoting the dental hygenist.

When I said I had no intention of paying for the missed appointment as I felt that I had been tricked into it she said that I would have to take it up with the practice's head dentist. I didn't bother but neither did I receive a bill.

I changed to an electric toothbrush shortly afterwards (I now use a sonic type) and when I next went to the dentist's she said that I didn't need a scale and polish any more!

It seems to be a common problem this and I think it's invidious.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

dont talk to me about dentists, i had an absess (cant spell) under a molar and it hurt like hell, i got an apointment for two weeks time couldnt do any sooner, the pain got pretty bad and nothing over the counter would touch it. Went to the dentist where they said it is an absess and i need to come in to have the work done so book another apointment for two weeks time and you can have some antibiotics to take now,fine.
Came back two weeks later and it had gone (obviously, i had been on antibiotics!) she said well there is no point in doing anything now so i went home.
Then 4 weeks later it came back again so i called and the girl on reception said "oh yes they always come back unless work is done to stop it".....which peeved me a little as surely they would of said when i was in to have the work done anyway! had to wait 3 weeks to have it done, after 4 days i pushed a fondu fork in under my tooth at 3am to release the pressure it was hurting so bad.
When i got there she took the tooth out as aparently thats all that can be done.
I also had a broken tooth that she insisted must be repaired and now she has worked on them they hurt like hell!!!!, never had sensitivity before she done about 4 fillings, two of which broke shortly after being filled
Oh and i had to have a scale and polish done privatly, aparently like you Xac my teeth needed cleaning by the same person with the same gear but the drill must only work if you put lots of money in it :?

why does the wisdom tooth have to come out? i was biting my mouth since my wisdom teeth came through but after removing the molar the wisdom has moved forward and there is no trouble.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

My wisdom teeth only really came all the way through a few years ago (I'm 33), so most of the time they've been shrouded in gum, which has let food get in out of reach.
About 8 years ago there was so much gum still covering them, closing my jaws was inflaming it so I had the top wisdom tooth removed as it was in a bad state.
Now they're fully through, extracting it isn't likely to cause nerve damage, and the tooth is likely to need drilling out bit by bit as it would probably crumble if pulled.
So it's going to be a hospital job under general, but thankfully it'll be free.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Dentists are a minefield.
I was for many years with an excellent pair of NHS dentists who unfortunately went private then retired.

One of them removed a wisdom tooth and the one next to it, under local anaesthetic over Christmas a few years ago. Poor guy was absolutely exhausted and dripping in sweat by the time he was finished, did a damned good job though.

I don't like my current dentist and your mention of £16.50 puzzles me - I pay £45 per visit. Which is partly why I haven't been for the most recently scheduled checkup - should have gone in May.

If there is a dental hospital local to you, they are superb as long as you are not registered with a dentist.

Before I could see the current one - they were on holiday and I had desperate toothache that hurt a thousand times worse than the finger I had just sawed off, I went to the dental hospital, fortunately a department of the hospital I was attending to get my hand 'fixed' and they cannot be faulted.
Mainly students but under close supervision. The hospital I usually go to is the RVI in Newcastle and is more or less a university department - or the other way round, they both seem to merge seamlessly with one another. Absolutely brilliant. Just been there today and they are streets ahead of the competition.

Best dentists I had were Swedish. The first was very derogatory about UK dentists and their methods, she packed it in to start a family.

The next was a mate of the guy I worked for and I got free treatment from him as I took care of his photographic requirements - he'd bought himself a Nikon F and a medical Nikkor and hadn't a clue how to use it :)

Paul-R I'm reasonably certain that you don't pay for dental treatment while claiming benefits - I certainly didn't and got the works when I went there, including a very thorough scale and polish.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You have to be careful about missing appointments or check-ups, if you dont attend as regular as they would like you to they can replace you and you can lose your dentist.

My dentist is pretty good, he was apart of a larger local dentist group when I first knew him. He then moved further away and became private. So I stuck with him.

I think the charge is about the same as you described, but no unnecessary work is ever suggested. I just hope my visit next week goes as the normal ones do, i hate having anything done with my teeth!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I love dentists, too.

Not!

Next time I need anything major I plan to use an Asian service, probably somewhere like Thailand. Have heard from a couple of people with first-hand stories and they're exceedingly happy with both the work and value received.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:I don't like my current dentist and your mention of £16.50 puzzles me - I pay £45 per visit. Which is partly why I haven't been for the most recently scheduled checkup - should have gone in May.
NHS dental charges
The three NHS charge bands are as follows:

•Band 1: £16.50. This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
•Band 2: £45.60. This charge includes all the necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 charge, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.
•Band 3: £198. This charge includes all the necessary treatment that is covered by the £16.50 and £45.60 charges, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

So unless you've been having fillings every time you see the dentist, or you're a private patient, then he's been diddling you.

DIY sphere tool
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

myglaren wrote:Paul-R I'm reasonably certain that you don't pay for dental treatment while claiming benefits - I certainly didn't and got the works when I went there, including a very thorough scale and polish.
I would have had to pay for the hygenist as this a private service - not NHS. It's only the dentist's scale and polish which is available as part of the NHS service.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Paul-R wrote:
myglaren wrote:Paul-R I'm reasonably certain that you don't pay for dental treatment while claiming benefits - I certainly didn't and got the works when I went there, including a very thorough scale and polish.
I would have had to pay for the hygenist as this a private service - not NHS. It's only the dentist's scale and polish which is available as part of the NHS service.
If you were in need of a scale and polish (ie tartar build up/gum disease) then the dentist should offer it on the NHS, which is what they should have done with me.

DIY sphere tool
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Exactly - and this is the reason that after nearly 50 years with the same practice we nearly parted company.

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Where's your DIY spirit, guys?

When a filling dropped out and the tooth cracked a couple of months ago, I did a bit of research, obtained some filling material (proper stuff - glass isonomer - not the 'temporary' sort), and re-filled the tooth myself. It seems fine so far.

It would be irresponsible to suggest that anyone else did the same-there are undoubtedly a lot of jobs that need a dentist's skill and experience - but it's worth thinking about.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

dnsey wrote:Where's your DIY spirit, guys?

When a filling dropped out and the tooth cracked a couple of months ago, I did a bit of research, obtained some filling material (proper stuff - glass isonomer - not the 'temporary' sort), and re-filled the tooth myself. It seems fine so far.

It would be irresponsible to suggest that anyone else did the same-there are undoubtedly a lot of jobs that need a dentist's skill and experience - but it's worth thinking about.
For replacing a filling that's fine, but for new decay, the tooth needs to be cleaned up, and not with a dremel! :D

Spoke to the Patient Experience Manager today via the PCT, told her what happened, she said unfortunately it is common.
She took my statement and we agreed to make it a formal complaint as while I'd like a refund, I'd also like assurances that they will abide by the rules in the future.

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

One of my Dad's mates, "Matt the Plumber" did his own tooth extraction with multigrips. He undertook this mission the evening before a weekend of camping, fishing and drinking.

Inevitably, it went south and became infected - so badly his friends took him to hospital on the Sunday. He'd apparently damaged the jawbone in his efforts, so the infection was potentally lethal. For a good while after, he was known as "Matt the Dentist".