Driving in the snow and ice

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

A few weeks ago while the snow was here (we have none now) a 206 pulled out from a side street into my line of traffic, it was a few cars ahead. As it turned the corer i could see the front tyre was flat and flapping around, ready to come off the rim, they didnt seem to have realised.

Earlier in the year a neighbour drove past me while i was walking the dogs, her C4 was making awful clanging and scraping noises. She flew round the corner, over the speed bump and off down the road. I could swear i could see under the wheel on the other side of the car as it smashed up the speed bump.

As i came down my road it was parked up, leaning over to the left and sat on the N/S front alloy wheel - there was not a tyre in sight! The wheel arch was bashed and misshapen, the mudflaps had gone as had the inner wheel arch trim, the bodywork around the wheel arch was covered in rubber and the alloy was like a 50 pence piece.

I mean how on earth can someone get into that situation, losing a tyre. I presume she had driven and driven on a flat until the tyre worse through and came off. Of she had a blow out at higher speed and kept on going.

The car then vanished and came back on its spare wheel. I can just imagine her going into the local tyre fitting place "Ive got a puncture, could you fit it?" "well, you have no tyre to fix!" What an utter numpty, she should have her licence taken off her for good.

I was overtaken by a corsa doing about 85 with a flat rear tyre, it was smoking badly, me and other drivers were flashing the corsa to warn them (as if they didnt know, the car was all over the place, the tyre was making a heck of a racket and smoking). The tyre then came off the rim, the rim dug into the road, span the corsa sending it backwards into the central barrier, and continuing to spin, luckily avoiding other cars but hitting the barrier. I came to a stop, his driers door was facing me, he got out and said sorry! I didnt know if that was a sorry because he was clueless or what! The car was ruined, totally mashed. It could have been far worse.

We definitely need a common sense test before a driving test happens, some people should not have anything to do with cars!

I dont think a lot of people realise what they are driving, it can soon become a weapon.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

andmcit wrote:Talking about bad habits that are very noticeable, one thing I see most drivers
doing at a junction that really bugs the hell out of me! Why when turning right
in a parallel lane to the main thoroughfare do people 'jink' to the left over the
line of the adjacent lane in a fat person walking ponderously styley. Laziness?
Same turning off the road to the left, you know they're about to stop dead
and indicate left at the last second as they swerve out to the centre white
line before arcing left.

Andrew
Defies all logic!
Also those who negotiate right angle junctions with a wide sweep that takes them right to the white line or over it. They seem to be afraid of or too lazy to turn the steering wheel any more than the absolute minimum.

As for clueless owners:
There is a guy at work who has had a series of cheap bangers and manages to destroy them mechanically in fairly short order mainly through lack of maintenance.
About a year ago his then current car gave up the ghost. Could have been repaired for a couple of hundred quid but instead he scraps it and borrows £6,000 from his brother in law and buys a 207.
He can barely afford shoelaces!

About three weeks ago the 207 snaps it's timing belt.
Takes it to the main dealer who repairs it, £1,700!
Discovers that it is gobbling oil up at the rate of over a Litre a week - he only drives about 100 miles a week!

I said for him to let Richard, the guy who has done work on nearly all the family's cars over the past couple of years, been proved to be hones, reliable, capable and extremely good value.
Says he can't afford to spend any more money on the thing, takes it back to the dealer who tell him the bottom end is screwed and he trades it in for another Peugeot.
I asked which one, as you would.
It's a blue four door is the enlightened answer, a '59 - the thinks.
Has no idea which model, which engine, what spec, nothing.

He was collecting it last night and going to spend the weekend "Driving around in my new car"!
May the saints preserve us :shock:

He still owes most of the £6,000 for the 207.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I despair.

Our species is doomed through its own stupidity.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Absolutely:

BMW in the snow

They might have gone and helped her though.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

oh my goodness she lets her car drive into their house!
there is no way someone that stupid should be allowed to drive!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Heard this engine roaring sound from outside so Danielle had a look.
A volvo was trying to get up the road next to us, revving the nuts off the car.
They tried putting their carmats underthe wheels and of course that didn't work, so they gave up and tried to get up the main road, still revving like mad and still getting no where.
A 106 went sailing past at quite a pace, Danielle jokingly said it was maybe because he couldn't stop, then laughed as she saw him sliding right out onto the other road at the end of ours, so she was right!
About 6 people came out and helped push the volvo up the road, wheels still spinning frantically.
Then a new Picasso passed and had no trouble getting up the road that the volvo had so much trouble with.

DIY sphere tool
Ref

Post by Ref »

Xac wrote: Then a new Picasso passed and had no trouble getting up the road that the volvo had so much trouble with.
volvo is made in sweden isn't it amazing :D , used to drive one completely unreliable in slippery conditions.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Ref wrote:
Xac wrote: Then a new Picasso passed and had no trouble getting up the road that the volvo had so much trouble with.
volvo is made in sweden isn't it amazing :D , used to drive one completely unreliable in slippery conditions.
Great in snow, rubbish on ice. (240/265)

Drove loads in Sweden (company cars) with no bother except one morning going to pick up the boss, 10am one May morning. Up a steep rise and into a cut that caused a shadow on the road.
That shadow was solid ice, not thawed that morning, due to receiving no sun.
Corkscrewed down the road 100 yards, finished up in the ditch on the other side of the road and the exhaust kept on going.
Picked it up (bloody hot too!), strapped it to the roofrails and carried on.
On arriving the gaffer greeted me with "car's a bit noisy this morning"?
It was two weeks old. He didn't care, had a very laid back attitude and his business partner was married to the sister of Per Gyllenhammer, the Volvo MD at the time, so it all got fixed very quickly.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

myglaren wrote:Absolutely:

BMW in the snow

I want to laugh but thats just shocking! :o

Exactly the people who shouldn't have a license, or maybe only a driving licence for summer months!

It would have been nice for the person videoing that to have helped her, but she really didnt seem to have much idea, and leaving the car in gear while you push it! How was that ever going to end well!

Judging by her clearing snow in front of the front wheels, im guessing thats another 1 series drive who thinks its front wheel drive.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

BMW in the snow

Video's now been removed by it's uploader, wish I'd downloaded it.
I couldn't fathom some of the vile comments he recieved though simply because he didn't go out and help her get moving so she could go on an crash into someone else.

DIY sphere tool
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Xac wrote:Video's now been removed by it's uploader, wish I'd downloaded it.
Hereit is! 8-)
Franklin
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Citroening wrote:
Xac wrote:Video's now been removed by it's uploader, wish I'd downloaded it.
Hereit is! 8-)
Thanks for finding it! :wink:

Yes that certainly is a plonker!

What a Ro(a)dknee!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Xac wrote:

BMW in the snow

Video's now been removed by it's uploader, wish I'd downloaded it.
I couldn't fathom some of the vile comments he recieved though simply because he didn't go out and help her get moving so she could go on an crash into someone else.
I must say I can honestly see both sides of the coin here,

BMW's are renowned 'drivers' cars,RWD etc. I've driven quite a few myself and much fun was had :twisted:
so this lady has obviously bought it for the image..clearing the front wheels?!! Clueless...

Xac,good point mate, I wouldn't have thought of that :oops: ie, her being such an airhead/bint..

Any old fashioned bloke like me,or, myglaren? would gladly help her out and wave her off cheerily, oblivious to the carnage she could unleash :lol:

Dilemma!
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I would of helped her too :wink:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Car Pinball!!

Check out the clueless!

I think the first car in the clip floors it after bouncing off some car, and hitting a pole.

Which then starts it all off again!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.