Driving in the snow and ice

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

A perk/deficit of my job is many different rentals. Though this one required a special trek to get it but was well worth it even if my trip gets cancellwd tomorrow :-(
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I am going to try and get into work later.. i really dont know if I am being a bit foolish though :shock: at least in the xant I can raise the car if needed.. we have about 18" now and more is falling.. will take a sleeping bag :twisted: a shovel and will drive with a lot of care! there is one hill I cant avoid...
John
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Well the car did about 600 miles since i got it and i am very pleased with what the freelander has had thrown at it. litterally it just keeps going.
some of this will be down to the M+S tyres fitted but the Snow traction setting helps a bit and it has ploughed through copious amounts of 2' snow :D

Looking around i think i'll be getting one next and not a C5/C6 exclusive...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

KP wrote:Well the car did about 600 miles since i got it and i am very pleased with what the freelander has had thrown at it. litterally it just keeps going.
some of this will be down to the M+S tyres fitted but the Snow traction setting helps a bit and it has ploughed through copious amounts of 2' snow :D

Looking around i think i'll be getting one next and not a C5/C6 exclusive...
An heretic!
Burn him :twisted: :D

Two feet of snow here!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

:lol: :lol:

KP dont get a petrol one, and if you do make sure it cheap :D

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Aren't Freelanders always usually seen on a motorway hard shoulder with their
bonnet up and hazards going?

Andrew
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Yeah usually ones with k series petrol engines in. Id be looking at a freelander 2 I reckon due to the tax band unless a petrol 6 pot with lpg came along at a good price but they are rare, only 9 petrols for sale in UK at mo. :-(
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ah, you have a Freelander 2, i prefer the earlier ones! I Cant't believe how expensive the 2s are new, huge price hike over the S1s which used to sell very well and used to be bought for a working car too. Not these fancy posh ones though.

If you get a TD4 S1, they are pretty hardy things, there are a few common problems but they usually prove to be ok. Watch out for worn clutches, a common thing with Freelanders and its big money to get it replaced.

Ours had a bill in its service history for a new clutch - £1200!

The K series really must be avoided and the early Rover diesels too.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well, Danielle and I were supposed to be watching the war of the worlds in wembley this evening.
Snow started coming down heavy before we left, and it's clogged up the M1.
The road to jnc 14 is jammed, so we tried heading down to jnc 13, but we decided with traffic running so slow we'd not get there in time and turned back home.
Most drivers are doing a good job, although many are avoiding the outside lane on most of the roads which is great because Cassy loves fresh snow more than the compacted stuff the others are driving over.
An audi estate got stuck with its rear wheels spinning at a roundabout, so a couple of other cars had to stop and push them, still with their wheels spinning too fast.
Then a diddy car in front of us decided that it was going to slow down to about 1mpg as it came to a completely empty roundabout, and nearly got stuck due to lack of momentum.
On some of the roads with two lanes, some are driving down the middle, so blocking traffic.
I love driving in these conditions, and if we could have left earlier I'd have no quarms about getting there as Cassy doesn't let a bit of cold white stuff stop her, but with other cars on the road it put an end to our plans.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Xac wrote:Well, Danielle and I were supposed to be watching the war of the worlds in wembley this evening.
Snow started coming down heavy before we left, and it's clogged up the M1.
The road to jnc 14 is jammed, so we tried heading down to jnc 13, but we decided with traffic running so slow we'd not get there in time and turned back home.
Most drivers are doing a good job, although many are avoiding the outside lane on most of the roads which is great because Cassy loves fresh snow more than the compacted stuff the others are driving over.
An audi estate got stuck with its rear wheels spinning at a roundabout, so a couple of other cars had to stop and push them, still with their wheels spinning too fast.
Then a diddy car in front of us decided that it was going to slow down to about 1mpg as it came to a completely empty roundabout, and nearly got stuck due to lack of momentum.
On some of the roads with two lanes, some are driving down the middle, so blocking traffic.
I love driving in these conditions, and if we could have left earlier I'd have no quarms about getting there as Cassy doesn't let a bit of cold white stuff stop her, but with other cars on the road it put an end to our plans.
Thats a shame Xac as it is a truly epic show. I went to see it last Friday. Alas, the same is occuring here, with people that cannot drive. They spoil it for those of us who can. People stare at the Coupé is amazement as it has some magical properties that enable it to drive in the snow.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh that's a real shame Xac :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Did you not try the train?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Oh that's a real shame Xac :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Did you not try the train?
It's looking at a 2 hour train journey, and the Arena is saying to call to find out if the show is still on, but it's constantly engaged and won't allow ringback either.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Danielle got through, recorded message said to call a different number, and doing that gets another recorded message saying customer services are closed.
Oh well, there's about 8 inches of snow outside now, I'm trying hard to resist the urge to go out for a drive, hmm, maybe I can convince Danielle that I should head out to get us dinner...

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:I'm trying hard to resist the urge to go out for a drive, hmm,
I took a troll up to our corner shop a while ago and Newport is solid. I believe a Merc is stuck trying to negotiate the hump of the river bridge...

I had to help my opposite neighbour park his Beemer. he could not get any traction up onto his driveway...

So, if I were you, stay in. You might be able to move OK but there's a lot out there who can't!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Both Mercs and beemers are rear wheel drive aren't they?
Like the audi estate that had to be pushed out at the roundabout.
So while we have a nice heavy engine over our drive wheels, they've got what? A few kg's of chasis :D

DIY sphere tool