Washer filter

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Washer filter

Post by spider »

I was thinking, on some (usually older) vehicles there is no strainer / filter to prevent any muck buildup in the washer bottle.

Not just the congealed stuff, all kinds of dirt. I thought about fitting something over the pump outlet where it extends into the bottle but that's not too practical to actually get at. Although bits of congealed stuff can break off and travel about.

Washer jets (the later 'atomising' type ones especially) are a royal pain to clean out, sometimes even with compressed air they do not work very well. Yes, you can fit these to older vehicles without cutting your bonnet ;) more on that another time.

I just thought about those cheap plastic inline fuel filters (the clear ones) intended as generic replacements for carb engines.

I wonder if fitting one of those into the actual washer line, just say an inch or three after said pipe exits the pump would be an idea ?

I cannot see it restricting flow / pressure much, but you never know.

Any thoughts ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

First thing that popped into my mind spider, I would reckon they would restrict flow somewhat, though they are cheap enough to try arent they :wink:

You shouldnt get too much build up of dirt in the washer system as its a sealed system. Ive found that blocked jets ive had have been blocked from the outside moreso than from inside.

You could flush out your washer system by having a running hose in your washer bottle and operating your jets with some all purpose cleaner first put into the bottle?

Again a cheap option :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks. :)

No mine seems to eat jets, and they block so badly they will not unblock with an airline (either way)

I've recently replaced the bottle (that was a bit annoying as its riveted (!) in place, but I cheated and undid the strut mounting instead to get it out)

I've also replaced the piping although the piping I used was a bit small, and took forever to warm enough to get on, at least it will not fall off.

The later 'spray' jets I used, although they are quite resistant to blocking when they do it seems to be terminal. I'm using the normal jets at the moment.

To be honest, it might be OK now (I did the piping last year, and the bottle a couple of months ago) when I grab a couple more jets...

The 'filter' was just a passing thought, I may still try it as you say they are going to be a £1 at the most I guess, and I doubt they would break down due to washer fluid. Worth trying anyway, can throw it out if it does cause issues regarding pressure.
Andy.

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I doubt a fuel filter would work as they are designed to work with petroleum liquids. You would probably find that the water would turn the filter element into a sodden mass that would really block your system up as it broke off in bits and pieces!

My daughter had a VW Golf and I was quite impressed by the fact that there was a filter in the top neck where you pour the water and washer fluid in. Stopping the crap getting is always a good starting point.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
spider

Post by spider »

Ah, yes I do remember about 1994 my Volvo 240 (I only had it a month, it was almost free and I had no car! , 16mpg when driven gently did not inspire) had this, a nice mesh fitted at the top of the huge washer fluid bottle.

My other idea was to fit a filter / gauze around large pump inlet where it is actually inside the bottle (fitting to the pump itself), but that could be a bit fiddly to do.
Andy.

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Something like this:http://www.globalspec.com/datasheets/29 ... 3D56BA220B
looks ideal. They might even send you a sample if you ask nicely :)