Steering Parts - Price saving, or different quality?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Steering Parts - Price saving, or different quality?

Post by addo »

I've been browsing and noticed the "sets" of inner and outer tie rods assembled, are appreciably cheaper (about 15%) than when you buy an inner and an outer of the same brand.

Has anyone experience with these assemblies to say whether they are better value or simply an inferior product?

Thanks, Adam.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Just a guess, but I'd say that the parts were the same, but the combined assembly saves on stockholding, packaging etc, which is reflected in the price. Same idea as the price of a replacement engine, for example, compared with all the individual parts, despite the extra work involved in factory assembly.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Good to see an opinion on this - thanks.

You have clarified the various ideas swimming in my head; because everything that arrives here is multiplied so much in cost we are alternately dudded or skeptical (or both at once)...

A little shopping around saw the Lemförders cheaper from "Genuine Parts" than anywhere else, so it may be the go (rather than the TRW prefabbed assemblies). Costs the same to ship as Bolk or other cheapies, so quality is the sensible choice.