Schoolboy error

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Schoolboy error

Post by spider »

Well, to cut a long story short I wanted a new air vent for the drivers side of my 205 dash.

The problem I had apart from getting to the scrapyard and finding one in black (to match) was mine had two large holes in it from a previous owners immobilizer (removed as the key switch they fitted was melting due to cutting the main thick supply wires and the switch was not up to that current)

The holes have been there for about 5 years (if not more) but I just thought 'while I'm there, I'll grab one if I can see one'

Anyway, I was getting a couple of other bits (there's a topic about that too, scrapyard prices) and while I was removing a couple of heater parts I needed (the fan speed control) I pulled the passenger side one out of the donor. After all, they are the same arent they ? , and this was the only 205 with a black dash in there, I think most of them went to heaven a few years ago now.

Well, they are and they are not ;) , the vent movement part is OK, but the very top fixed part of it (connected to the screen demister tube) is pointing towards me not towards the side windows. :oops:

:lol: I might see if I can 'adjust' it assuming it not moulded into place (not got time to go look at the moment)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Easy done, particuarly with French cars, they seem to use whatever parts they have handy on the day. I now take a snap of the VIN on my phone and then look it up on Servicebox at home before I go down with the tools and start pulling bits off.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its a 'help yourself' scrapyard ;) , but given the lack of choice I had to make the most of what I could find.

I was considering putting a (new shape) 306 instrument panel in the 205 actually (yes, I like doing these kind of things) ;) , but making it look tidy is different to making it work (which I can do) , wiring is fine. Dremmel and nicely aligned plastics is not :D
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG