Be careful out there folks..

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Be careful out there folks..

Post by mbunting »

From www.thisissheffield.net website.
A DAD was killed when the car he was working under collapsed on top of him as his six-year-old daughter watched in horror.
Robert Allen was changing a wheel on his car outside his home in Byron Road, Maltby, when the jack holding his car collapsed sending the vehicle crashing down on top of his neck.
His daughter Lara ran screaming down the road for help and an off-duty policeman phoned 999.
When paramedics and firefighters arrived the 50-year-old former school caretaker was already dead.
Firefighters lifted the car off Mr Allen, as other officers shielded his traumatised daughter.
A Maltby fire spokesman said today: "Mr Allen was working on his vehicle and had got the wheel off. Something then happened - either the jack wasn't fitted correctly or there was a fault with it - and the wheel hub fell on to his neck. It was pretty horrible and his daughter was outside at the time. We tried to shield her from what was happening but it was very upsetting for her."
Today Mr Allen's wife Michelle, aged 40, was still trying to come to terms with the tragedy. She told The Star: "Robert idolised Lara and she idolised him."
Mr Allen, who has a twin brother in Dinnington, had been in the army and later worked as a school caretaker but was recently unemployed.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Many times members, when giving advice have added warnings on these forums about getting under cars without putting in adequate support in addition to a jack. It seems that it can't be repeated too often. A sad, sad story.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I suppose any Citroen owner is in double jeopardy as they don't even have to be up on a jack to be dangerous.
I tend to be more cautious than most possibly due to me having been almost "pinned" by a CX and I can tell you, it ain't nice. Fortunately I twigged what was happening quick enough & gave the h/c a tweak the right way & up it went but two seconds later would have been too late as I wouldn't have been able to reach it. Just one lapse of concentration or "I only want to do such 'n such; it's not worth putting the jack under just for that" is all it takes.
These days a few safety rules I strictly observe are: Never work under a car unless someone is there or within earshot. Always use axle stands and leave the jacks also in position (lightly) in case the stands slip as an extra precaution. Always chock the wheels in both directions. Don't use a jack as sole means of support to do anything but changing wheels. Don't use bricks as axle stands. Don't use axle stands &/or jacks if the job can be done on a ramp. If the wheels are off the ground, slip solid pieses of timber under the wheels so if the car comes off, it should give you increased clearance under the car as a safety margin.
Safety first always!!! Might seem to take longer, but it always works out quicker in the long run than waiting for an ambulance or for bones to knit.[:D][:D]
Alan S
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Out of interest how did this guy end up with his head under the car if he was just changing a wheel, i just cant figure it out. Me i stick stands under even if im looking from the side, cos i know ill get over eager!! And i ahev a set of stands that dont need a jack, just put the suspension on full :)
Was working on a Xantia the otherday up on ramps, playing with the HC, with stands and jack as back ups and two other people. And when the back end lunged towards me (even though it was perfectly safe) i still had to wonder just how destructive that really cud be!!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

How's this as an idea for working under Cits??
I've been looking for something affordable for a long time & my guess is that this is as close to a practical solution as is humanly possible for anyone with yard or garage space to put it.
Alan S
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Re your piccy, Alan - I often see these outside garages with showrooms attached, and I think how great it would be to have one.
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

Having once, a long time ago, had a nasty experience whilst working on car with one axle off the ground I NEVER put the hand brake on I always chock the wheels as Alan says.
What happened to me was that that as the front was lifting the car was unable to rotate smoothly about the rear axle and eventually the tyres had to do the rotation, ie they suddenly slipped on the ground. With the sudden movement the car very nearly came off the jack. Never had problem since
Bob
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

The ramp looks like a great idea Alan any idea who sells them?
Pete
________
Ford Do Brasil Specifications
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Pete,
I'd suspect it was done as a "one off" for a car yard but shouldn't be all that hard to copy.
As soon as I get a few jobs out of my hair, I might embark on such a project at which time I could alwauys make a set of working drawings available although I know we do have at least one engineer on this forum (Richard!!!!) who may oblige.
Alan S