Multiplexing

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Good or bad idea ?

Good
23%
Bad
77%

Total votes: 13

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Multiplexing

Post by spider »

What do you think of multiplexing ? :)

From memory they started to introduce it around 2001 or so, although some 2000 vehicles are partly (wipers / lights) multiplexed, then they decided to do the whole car :D

I'm a bit up in the air about it really, as looking at the bigger picture I concluded the following (probably wrongly, although I'd love to hear some opinions)

Introduced to simply fault finding and wiring costs, although it adds complexity in itself, which may cause more problems than if it did not have this system (BSI faults etc, as no multiplexing = no BSI so one less item to actually go wrong)

Not keen on Com2000's, there was not a lot wrong with having standard column switches and a couple of wiper relays and a direction indicator (and that was probably more reliable too)

Problems with aged wiring on a conventional system will typically be isolated to that circuit, where as a multiplexed vehicle anything could happen (communication problems due to high resistance)

I note (as far as I am aware!) the C1 / 107 / Ago are not multiplexed, could this be Toyota not wanting this 'system'

Two faults that I have seen that I remember well:

(1) osf sidelight comes on when you apply the brakes (interestingly the brake lights did not)

(2) abs light permenently on (instrument panel was led not bulb) , car did not have abs fitted (!)

As a note: this topic is not meant as a 'dig' (for want of a better word) , I'm just interested to hear peoples thoughts about it all really. I'm not that keen on it generally as you can tell.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Well, as a consumer, on balance I have voted bad. Not that it will make the slightest difference to car manufacturers of course!

There are things about the C5 which just wind me up ever so much and I think that some are a by-product of multiplexing. Foremost is the slight delay with the lights. Try dipping or flashing your headlamps and it's like talking with an echo on a telephone line. Extremely unsettling.

But, the beancounters will have decided that overall it's to their advantage to go multiplexing. And, frankly, if it actually causes problems 6 - 8 years down the line then it's just bankable future money for them!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Good idea, as long as it's done properly of course. As with all new (or 'new to application') developments, the early systems probably aren't the best.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I voted bad, however i dont fully understand why its needed. Yes there is less wiring so less weight, and things can function together - auto lights etc.

However it does create problems which can be expensive to fix and hard to find.

I had a problem with my C5: when i indicated right, the indicator would flash three times, then stop and the headlights would come on. However the indicators worked fine if i had the sidelights or headlights turned on manually. It was a faulty comms 200 unit, which cost £175 new. Though some garages i asked seemed to think it would be the BSi, so i dont think its fully understood and the problems are not always easy to find.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

I find it over complicated, even using the lexia doesn't alwas help, particularly when the lexia cant tell its left from its right (usually on airbag faults), I'm not keen on the 'lin' (?) sytem used on the lds warning system & i could live without the fibre optic wiring used on the high spec over complicated radios too. I could well live with out the BSI, it's awkward to diag' faults inside it & damn expensive to replace (fap system is pants too!)
Music keeps me going.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Another issue that I loathe about multiplex is that it allows manufacturers to code components to the ECU so that if a faulty unit is replaced it needs to be coded into the system !! For most people that means a visit to the stealer !! I've heard that Ford take this as far as batteries !!
Potentially it's a good bit of technology but in practice it becomes yet another impediment to self maintenance. Wait until 48 volt systems are introduced , that will be fun !! Not !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Clogzz