Tools

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Tools

Post by Toby_HDi »

Forgive me for asking this, it may seem silly.

No I'm looking at getting a lot of work done on the Activa, as well as a few jobs on the Coupe, I've been thinking I need more tools. I have a 150piece set that I bought from Halfrauds. It's ok but I'm missing various bits from it.

I'm thinking of going back to Halfrauds to replace the sockets that are missing but I also need a variety of other tools. Screwdrivers, mini pliers for hose clips etc etc.

I have looked in Halfrauds but they are fairly expensive as we know. My question is, where to go? Also, what to get to put together a basic tool set? I'm tired of finding I need something and then having to fish in my Grandads old tools for it. So far on the list I've got

Sockets/spanners (may get some more)
Screwdrivers
Torx and star bits etc etc
Allen Keys
Torque Wrench
Pliers (mini and standard)
Flare nut spanners (sizes I don't already have)

Any thing else anyone can think of?

As I say, may seem silly but I honestly can't think where to get them from. Ebay is out as most of them are crap quality. Would also prefer to buy them together so as not incur excess postage charges.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've picked up my tools from various places, flare nut spanners were Sealey ones off Amazon (worked out about £1-2 per spanner! A lot cheaper than Halfrauds).
Mostly though, I bought tools from little obscure shops and big warehouses in the middle of no where. Most of them don't have websites, just got to know them via word of mouth.
One of the better advertised tool shops is 'Machine Mart' our local one is down Plymouth, I'm sure there will be one around your neck of the woods Toby.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

I can't remember where I found this link, may even have been on here!

http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/

worth a look

Ainslie
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

tbh i use halfords tools as before the accident i made a living from my tools and because halfords pro range have a virtually no quibble break and return policy and are a damn sight cheaper than snap-on or blue point they do make a good buy :wink:
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I must say Halfrauds Pro tools are beyond excellent. Well worth the money and they've never let me down. Halfrauds is a funny old place; generally full of tat but it really excels in tools.

Toby, buy good tools as and when you need them. Buy the best you can afford and they'll last you a lifetime. I've been collecting for over 30 years now and many of the tools you have seen and used at my place are that old.

I'm still buying tools even now; you can never have too many.

The other rule is only ever lend tools to people you implicitly trust. Otherwise you find your collection will start diminishing.

Tools become immensely personal. I can't work properly with other people's tools and jealously guard mine.

I've always found this mob to be a good place for some tools. Sealey stuff is not bad but some Draper stuff is of questionable quality/utility. The Draper Expert stuff is usually borderline OK but steer well clear of cheapo Draper. In fact if it's cheap, leave well alone. It's cheap for a reason.

As I say, buy the best and the investment will handsomely repay you.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

As Jim states you get what you pay for, I use facom and in a few instances Halfords Professional. Apart from lifetime guarantees good quality tools fit exactly and don't round off tight nuts. Cheap tat causes all manner of grief, its also bulky and has large movements on ratchets which makes life difficult when working in tight spaces.

When starting out buy a decent set (Halfords Professional) then maybe replace the commonly used tools (i.e. 10mm, 13mm etc) with six point sockets from a proper professional tool manufacturer.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I can thoroughly recommend Elora tools, even though they now seem to have some sort of connection with Draper. I bought a socket set about 30 years ago, and despite suffering all sots of abuse, it's still as good as new.
Not cheap though :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I fully concur over 6 point (hex) sockets Richard. They are much less likely to round a tight nut and get much better purchase on a troublesome nut as well.

Same goes with Flare Nut Spanners. Get a set of hex ones and these actually come in very handy in place of ring spanners on difficult subjects as again, they have a better purchase than normal bi-hex rings.
dnsey wrote:I can thoroughly recommend Elora tools
I've a very old Elora socket set here that was dad's. Definitely a set to last a lifetime or three and by golly has this particular set had some abuse over the times. It's useful as it has a good selection of A/F and Whitworth sockets and these can often fit a badly rounded metric nut. This set must be at least 45 years old and packed in a sturdy metal case.

I've also got a few modern Elora tools here and despite the Draper connections, quality still seems more or less OK.

Get a big hammer as an essential Toby, along with a good set of cold chisels and punches - when everything else fails... :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd suggest the number one item is a compressor with capacity of at least 8CFM @ 90PSI. Note this is not "free air CFM" as most are rated.

To accompany it you buy two hoses - one 20' and one 30-35'. All fittings must be high flow. You can then pick up one of the cheap Asian made kits with a degreaser pot, cavity wax gun, duster nozzle, and often a tyre chuck (but no gauge!). Also buy a medium grade ½" drive rattle gun and an impact adapter to 3/8". Four six-point impact sockets - 17mm deep, 17mm regular, 13mm regular, plus one for the drive shaft nuts (the only one with a ½" drive). Pick up a second hand die grinder in the box for almost nothing, and start engraving all your gear with a 3/32" burr tip.

It sounds a slightly skewiff tool list but where it comes into its own is the dissembly/reassembly speed, and you'll be working with parts pressure washed clean before removal.

Also worth having is a Koken "Attack Driver" - simply one of the best impact driver box sets on the market.

I'm not thingy about tools, other than wanting to make sure they're within my "jurisdiction". I'm also not a brand snob; what I like is well-made stuff with a fair cop warranty. Don't know about the UK, but sometimes the Snap-On guys here will repossess tools and resell at a reduced rate; if you ask they might have an idea what's possibly available soon.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Toby

If you are looking for a cheap odds and ends then the tools at "InExcess" up the A31 towards Picket Post are worth a look.

John
Xmexclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I don't know if it still holds true but in 1979 I bought a Kamasa socket set, only wanted a spark plug socket and ratchet but it was cheaper to buy the set.
I was unaware at the time how much I was going to need that set of tools and many others.
They have a lifetime guarantee. I think they were £7.50 :shock:
Despite years of abuse and being loaned out to many friends and neighbours, I gave it away last year still fully functional although terribly scruffy - it was Imperial (AF/Whit) and I have nothing it fits, bought a new Kennedy set through Cromwell tools they seem OK but don't get used very much and haven't been called upon to do anything particularly demanding.

I have found some very good second hand tools at car boot sales and second hand shops but you have to be lucky there, mostly appalling crap that people think is worth a King's Ransom.

One of my most used tools is a Stillson wrench that was my grandfather's, must be best part of 100 years old. Couldn't say what make it is as it is currently at work, it is the only thing that will free the hose union of the glue container we use, work being too cheap to buy one they leave the problem to our inginuity until I came along with the right tool for the job which previously involved two or more men with hammers and cold chisels and an hour plus much spilled polyurethane glue and days to remove it. Takes less than five minutes for the whole job with the right tool!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Tools

Post by spider »

Toby_HDi wrote: Any thing else anyone can think of?
I wrote a couple of articles a few years ago, I still have them, although they could do with updating they might help you think of a few other things you might want to consider.

I'll have to link to them as all the images are attached, so I am not sure if this would violate any of this forum's rules (although my board is not in any 'competition' with here) , mod if these links are against our rules, sorry and please delete this post. :)

Basic Tools > http://www.dubtime.co.uk/forum/tutorial ... sic-tools/

Useful Extra Tools > http://www.dubtime.co.uk/forum/tutorial ... tra-tools/

As a final note: Click the image thumbnails to enlarge if required.

That category is not normally guest viewable, but I'll leave it viewable for a couple of days for you...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Links no problem spider - you ain't a spammer!
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks all.

Looking at the Halfraud's Pro stuff, I might just go for that. My brother stands by Snap-On but I cannot justify the obscene price. The Halfrauds stuff will suffice I think.

Not only that, it's easier to get to, and should anything break, its only up the road to go get a replacement.

Shame I don't have a Halfrauds Trade Card though :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My brother stands by Snap-On but I cannot justify the obscene price.
I think he'd have a hard time explaining that obsession in an everyday workshop environment. There's no difference between them and many other well-made brands in terms of how they get the job done.

Every brand seems to have a specialty or two, though - with Snap-On it's the ratchet screwdriver and cordless impact; with Stahlwille it's the ring spanners - but if I saw a workshop with near 100% high end brand continuity I'd question the mental capacity of its staff - they're either unthinking or overcharging to pay for the tools!

Be slightly wary of cheaper tools with a "lifetime warranty" - they may have a greater rate of failures factored into their tolerances. It's the downtime when a tool breaks, and the related risk of injury which are key concerns.