DVLA incompentence

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

DVLA incompentence

Post by Xaccers »

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... ence-hell/
A motorcyclist was charged with fraud after producing photocopy evidence DVLA had lost his bike licence.

Marcus Mee, 38, was accused of forging a photocopy of an old driving licence which appeared to prove the DVLA’s records were wrong because it included bikes.
My old driving licences had moped entitlement, my latest doesn't. Not really a problem for me though.
They appear to have changed the catagories in 1997 and I wonder if that caused some of the problems, but removing someone's motorbike licence and then when they're given evidence of it's existance they try and charge the rider with fraud is taking the biscuit!

Actually my licence expires soon, they're supposed to send out a renewal pack and reminder up to 2 months before it runs out, but they've not been doing that so many people are unknowingly driving on expired licences too!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just had to check mine!
My first expired when I was 70 but the current one expires in 2013.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've got just over a month on mine.
No sign of the renewal pack or reminder.

DIY sphere tool
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Been through a similar thing myself. Had to surrender my licence at a cop shop for a fixed pen speeding ticket. They lost it and admitted they lost it but the DVLA somehow thought I was responsible and had me charged with failing to surrender my licence , suspended it meaning I couldn't legally drive , then took me to court !!
Fortunately I had legal cover on my RAC membership so I referred it to them. The event became a very satisfying experience as the RAC lawyer literally made the DVLA look utterly incompetent in court. The police witness didn't even have the courtesy to turn up !!
Magistrate just rejected the case and instructed the DVLA to reinstate my licence without any further delay or cost to myself.
The DVLA and Police are so up themselves over motoring offences it's offensive. Worst thing is we are all paying for it !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Moped entitlement was once automatic if you held a car licence. It was withdrawn when compulsory basic training (CBT) was required to ride anything with two wheels, even mopeds.

Back along, a car license entitled you to drive all sorts of bizarre things like road rollers, track-laying vehicles (tanks), agricultural tractors and mowing machines. No longer though and SWMBO in her role of examiner has to conduct tests for these classes.

I guess the mowing machine test checks your ability to mow in a straight line...
myglaren wrote: My first expired when I was 70
Steve, you're joking :wink: No way you're anywhere near 70 surely? 50s I'll accept but not over 70..
Xac wrote:I've got just over a month on mine.
Nah, can't accept you're 69 and 11 months either Xac.

What's your secrets? Regular swigs of LHM or something?

I'd be ever so upset if they took my bike entitlement away. I worked hard for that and even though I've not ridden a bike for 20 years now, who's to say I might not succumb to a mid-life crisis and ride off into the sunset on a Harley one of these days.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote:I've got just over a month on mine.
Nah, can't accept you're 69 and 11 months either Xac.

What's your secrets? Regular swigs of LHM or something?
Regeneration Jim, have you not noticed how Cassy is the same colour as old police phone boxes, and her boot appears larger on the inside? :D

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Steve, you're joking Wink No way you're anywhere near 70 surely? 50s I'll accept but not over 70..
Perhaps I phrased that badly.
My first licence, issued when I was 17, explicitly stated that it expired when I reached my 70th birthday and a retest would be necessary.

My current licence, issued in 2003, expires in 2013, 5 years before my 70th birthday. I think I may have been diddled by the dervla.
Same as everyone else then :roll:

I was 62 a couple of weeks ago :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: I was 62 a couple of weeks ago :(
That's more like it Steve :D Gonna say...

Just checked mine as I was in the same boat as you. Issued when I was 17 and I always believed expired on my 70th; July 2029.

I now find that mine expires in April 2013...

How bizarre :?

Hope they do send a reminder. How are you supposed to remember something like that?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's because they cottoned on to the idea people age, and therefore don't look like their licence photo for that long.
Remember the "toddlers have to have a passport" fiasco where a 4 year old could have a passport with the photo being of them as a baby?

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, so they last 10 years then?

That would be more or less right. I got my first photocard licence in 2003 when I last moved...
Jim

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Photocard licences have to be renewed every 10 years, as long as you have kept your address up to date you should get a reminder.

If you have not kept your address up to date then you are a criminal and should be taken outside and shot .... or something. :P
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Longest a licence is current for here, is five years.

Pricing is predatory, too - you get a discount on this - if you have the readies. It means low-income people can only ever afford the dearer one year licences (and thus run more chances of being pinged driving while it's expired).
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I've heard of this happening a lot recently, would be a very wise to keep copies of your licence before sending it off for renewall.
I've also heard that those of you with grandfather rights (if you passed your test before 1997) to drive 7.5 tonne lorries, minibuses & tow large trailers will have the entitelment taken off you unless you specifically request for it to be kept on there.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

DVLA incompentence

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I sold a car to a chap a while ago ( Cit Bx Gti ). He gave me a false address, and a week later the old bill knocked on my door asking me about the car. Seems as the kid was using the car to go round stealing from other cars in the Merthyr area.

Since then, if I sell a car, bike etc, I now always email the dvla to say that I have sold the car, bike to another person. The date and time is on the email. They ALWAYS email back to say that they do not accept email notices of sales. I ALWAYS then email straight back to say that as they have emailed me about the sale, then they are aware of the sale. Because it is bloody hard to convince the gits that it is not you that has been driving the car through red lights, whilst not taxed, and a good number of other nasties. As it takes the useless twonks so long to issue a new log sheet- up to 8 weeks- then all sorts of crap could be flying your way.

I too, have a copy of licence, for when I have to send it for renewal. I tell them that I have a copy too, and ask them to make sure that all entitlements are included.
Who is nannying who ?
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Re: DVLA incompentence

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi,
I sold a car to a chap a while ago ( Cit Bx Gti ). He gave me a false address, and a week later the old bill knocked on my door asking me about the car. Seems as the kid was using the car to go round stealing from other cars in the Merthyr area.

Since then, if I sell a car, bike etc, I now always email the dvla to say that I have sold the car, bike to another person. The date and time is on the email. They ALWAYS email back to say that they do not accept email notices of sales. I ALWAYS then email straight back to say that as they have emailed me about the sale, then they are aware of the sale. Because it is bloody hard to convince the gits that it is not you that has been driving the car through red lights, whilst not taxed, and a good number of other nasties. As it takes the useless twonks so long to issue a new log sheet- up to 8 weeks- then all sorts of crap could be flying your way.

I too, have a copy of licence, for when I have to send it for renewal. I tell them that I have a copy too, and ask them to make sure that all entitlements are included.
Who is nannying who ?
Greg
Fair point I agree with you, that you have to look after your what happens and cover yourself against their incompetance, and snail like speed of service.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.