Insurance Question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Insurance Question

Post by jgra1 »

Chaps, can someone answer me something in plain english :?

If i am insured on cars for the last 13 years, sometimes one policy, sometimes 2 and recently a multi-vehicle policy.. what happens about building NCB ?

would the seperate vehicles all get their own, or do I as a driver earn 1 Year maximum - for any insured year without a claim? regardless of how many policies I have..

I have had two shunts in the last 3 years, my NCB is recored as 2 years, but before that nothing in about 11 years.. mostly with concurrent insurance on a car..

I know that the most I could hope for is 4 years, but it's better than 2

any thoughts as I am struggling to get insured ;(

John
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

As long as your the driver have been insured IIRC thats what its counted against, you.

IE if you had 2 policies running over the same time period of 12 months it would still only equal 1 year NCB.

I think if you don't insure a vehicle for whatever reason for 3 or more years you return to no NCB :( if you have had NCB protection on your NCb should be fine.

to earn NCB you need to be the policy holder and not added onto another policy unless its business insurance for a works car..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Give Admiral a try John, especially if you are insuring more than one...

Welcome back to blighty :D I'll bet the temptation to stay in Addo-land was strong; surprised you didn't yield to the temptation..

Given the chance, I'd be back there in a flash. Not Darwin though. Maybe Tasmania....

And I'd take all my Xantias and parts stash with me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks KP, that's what i though..

no protected NCB.. now down to 2 years only :( , even an old TD xantia is over 400 TPFT, not going to ask re the 406 and camper van !

think i should have accrued more NCB in the past 13 years than I have left to show for it now.. but it's too late, all documents from previous insurance companies long since destroyed .. think I will jsut have to lump it :)

Jim many thanks :) best quote for the 3 as a fleet is 1200 from about 800 last year ! , may try admiral but dont expect it to be better really

yep liked oz ;) happy enough in the heat of Queensland :D
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep i think thats correct, you earn one years no claims no matter how many policies you have running.

I think you can only declare your NCB one on policy, not them all, too?

Might be best to try admiral multicar, might be cheaper. Should be as you cant drive them all at once! :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Try have 6 points from an IN10 :( my Activa could only come down in price due to lower milage allowance and putting my wife on it :)

Try adding Jim to your insurance maybe :D
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

KP :twisted:

think the 406 and the Chevy are going to go...
8-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: Try adding Jim to your insurance maybe :D
You could, seems my while family is :twisted: Bad risk now though as I have a 17 year old on mine on a provisional...

Will, sorry, what's an IN10? is that a 100MPH INdiscretion?
jgra1 wrote:think the 406 and the Chevy are going to go...
Especially the Chev :twisted: That'll be a real shame John. The 406 is replaceable (with a Xantia V6 :wink: ) but the Chev, no. Try not to John, even if you have to long-term store it. That vehicle is unique...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think you do earn NCB on all policys no matter how many you hae, but only after each policy has run for two or more years,

did you not have NCB protection John

regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

IN10 is driving without insurance :(

Was under the impression was 3rd party insured on rachels car but found out all to late when a van driver drove into the back drivers corner and then drove off!
he didn't get prosecuted as even though he drove off he reported it to the police hours later.. I was very miffed at this but at least it comes off this year before i renew so the premium should come back down as the office dated it back to the day the incident happened instead of teh date i was charged with it as it took a long while to investigate thanks to the other driver...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Can another person borrow a car with the insured's permission, and be covered by that policy?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

No, if you borrow a car, it must be owned by someone else, insured and the owner has given you permission to drive it. Then you drive it on your own insurance policy, if you have this feature. To be able to drive a car on the owners poiliy, you must be a named driver on that policy.

Many insurance companies are removing the 'drive other cars 3rd party' cover from their policies. So be careful and make sure yours covers for such an event.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Lots of little catches in NCB.
Each insurance company may well work their own system and not have to automatically accept bonus calculations earned with other companies.
As a general rule each policy will generate a no claims bonus for each full years claim free motoring. Any special offers or discounts may not be qualifying bonus policies (see mirroring below). I know because I lost my second 4 year protected bonus while having at least 2 cars continuously insured just by making the mistake of using a series of mirrored policies to add a third car every now and again.
Any bonus earned usually expires if your lapse it for two years by not taking out a new policy and attaching your bonus.
If you already have a policy with a good no claims entitlement and you need to insure an extra car they will often agree to mirror your existing bonus for the first year.
The key issue in all this is finding an insurance company that actually wants your business at a reasonable rate. They all continously review their current risk book, claims record etc and using this determine the types of risk they want to buy into and the price to charge. From this you will fall into just a few categories: Good risk, offer a discount to get extra business; Known risk, use NCB system to keep custom; Poor risk, quote high to encourage to try elsewhere; Bad risk, insurance not offered.

John
Last edited by xmexclusive on 31 Mar 2010, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Xmexclusive
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

regarding using a 'freinds car'

also noticed that this feature uses an 'only in emergency' clause on some policies.. i.e. you can drive the other car but not on a daily basis..

I am going to insure the coupe whilst i get to work on a slightly neglected xantia, which needs an MOT .. then i will swap the insurance to the Citroen and pass the couple onto a friend, which means I can drive it on her policy (hopefully) or get driven around in it :twisted:

thanks John, some good info there,.

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you cant drive on someone elss's insurance, unless you are a named driver on that policy, or the other person has got a policy which allows any drive, but im sure the later will cost an arm and 10 legs,

as said earlyer when borrowing someone ellss's car it has usualy has to be covered by your own policy

regards malcolm