DIY Lexia cable

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

DIY Lexia cable

Post by MikeT »

I'm resigned to making my own cables for the Diag2000/Lexia2 but am having difficulty locating suitable multi-wire cable. I've got the D-type connectors now and shouldn't have a problem sourcing the OBD connector. though I'm not sure about the older 30-way and 2-way diagnostic connectors as I haven't looked yet but...

For the actual cable, I don't know how many wires I need but I presume 32 would suffice. Anyone got an idea on what gauge they should be and who might supply them? I'm drawing a total blank using search terms such as 32-way, 32-wire, multi-wire etc.

Any ideas/suggestions or am I going to have to make my own cable from individual wires and sleeve them together?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: DIY Lexia cable

Post by DickieG »

MikeT wrote:I've got the D-type connectors now and shouldn't have a problem sourcing the OBD connector. though I'm not sure about the older 30-way
The easiest way to get a 30 pin plug may be to source a Sykes ACR4 cable and connect it up from there.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Mike

The older 30 way plugs can be found behind the drivers side headlamp in some Mk1 Xantia's. The 2 pin one is only needed for XM mk 1 and in practice only one of the two pins is used for talking to each ECU.
Interestingly the chinese Lexia can be supplied with two different type of 30 pin lead. The early version plugs direct into a large round 30 pin plug but only 20 of the 30 connector pins are populated.
With the later version of the chinese Lexia instead of the large round 30 pin
plug a 16 pin OBD2 connector is used.
Both Lexia lead versions seem to work quite happily with most Citroen diagnostic sockets.
This suggests that far less than 32 wires are needed to make up these leads.
It may well be that a standard OBD2 lead (16 pin plug to 16 pin socket) can be butchered one end to make the Citroen 30 pin special.
I have a full set of Chinese leads if you want to check pinning.
Can probably find some multiway cable if you draw a blank.

John
Xmexclusive
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

DickieG wrote:
MikeT wrote:I've got the D-type connectors now and shouldn't have a problem sourcing the OBD connector. though I'm not sure about the older 30-way
The easiest way to get a 30 pin plug may be to source a Sykes ACR4 cable and connect it up from there.
Hi DickieG, the pukka Actia cables can also be sourced but they're inhibitively expensive so am I right in thinking the Sykes cables are also not cheap?
xmexclusive wrote:The older 30 way plugs can be found behind the drivers side headlamp in some Mk1 Xantia's. The 2 pin one is only needed for XM mk 1 and in practice only one of the two pins is used for talking to each ECU.
In that case, I might already have the 30-pin connector! A pic of it would help me confirm this or I can take a pic of what I have.
I guess the 2-pin is unlikely to be used by me if it's only for XM's so I'll forget that for now.
xmexclusive wrote:Interestingly the chinese Lexia can be supplied with two different type of 30 pin lead. The early version plugs direct into a large round 30 pin plug but only 20 of the 30 connector pins are populated.
I believe this is the older Lexia2 system of connection which requires an adapter (PR37?) to sit between the Lexia and the Diagnostic cables - why, is a mystery to me when they could have been made direct to the Lexia D-type socket.
xmexclusive wrote:It may well be that a standard OBD2 lead (16 pin plug to 16 pin socket) can be butchered one end to make the Citroen 30 pin special.
If I can source one cheap enough and be sure it'll have adequate number of wires, I'd take that route. Do "standard" OBD cables use all 16 pins?
xmexclusive wrote:I have a full set of Chinese leads if you want to check pinning. Can probably find some multiway cable if you draw a blank.
It's the multiway cable that's proving illusive to me, can only find data cable and I'm concerned this won't be heavy enough for all functions offered - but what do I know? :oops:

Pinouts will be needed for the D-type connector also.. Jim has kindly offered to buzz his cables out for me but if someone else could save him the trouble, I'd be extremely grateful.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

MikeT wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Hi DickieG, the pukka Actia cables can also be sourced but they're inhibitively expensive so am I right in thinking the Sykes cables are also not cheap?
They come up on Ebay from time to time, expect to pay a maximum of £30 for one.
xmexclusive wrote:The older 30 way plugs can be found behind the drivers side headlamp in some Mk1 Xantia's.
Never seen that, I did own a very early L reg VSX which had the socket in the fuse box by the drivers right knee.
MikeT wrote:
xmexclusive wrote:Interestingly the chinese Lexia can be supplied with two different type of 30 pin lead. The early version plugs direct into a large round 30 pin plug but only 20 of the 30 connector pins are populated.
I believe this is the older Lexia2 system of connection which requires an adapter (PR37?) to sit between the Lexia and the Diagnostic cables - why, is a mystery to me when they could have been made direct to the Lexia D-type socket.
The 30 pin plug on my Lexia 2 simply plugs into a socket which can be exchanged for the 16 pin EOBD plug according to the vehicle, no adaptor there.

Are you getting confused with an ELIT? They require an adaptor box (IIRC AC30?) which attaches to the back of the ELIT.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

DickieG wrote:The 30 pin plug on my Lexia 2 simply plugs into a socket which can be exchanged for the 16 pin EOBD plug according to the vehicle, no adaptor there.

Are you getting confused with an ELIT? They require an adaptor box (IIRC AC30?) which attaches to the back of the ELIT.
Very possible as I've yet to see them in the flesh, so to speak.

I'm going by a pricelist I found which shows PR37 with the D-type connector which fits into the Lexia. This is the "adapter" I was referring to and the other end appears to be a round socket.

The main ECU connectors (ADA02, ADA30, ADA16) appear to fit into this round socket with what looks like the same keyed plug found on the trolley (that fits to the underside of the Lexia)

CLICK TO ENLARGE

These pics, although sold for the Lexia3 show the round connectors more clearly.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

DickieG wrote:
xmexclusive wrote:The older 30 way plugs can be found behind the drivers side headlamp in some Mk1 Xantia's.
Never seen that, I did own a very early L reg VSX which had the socket in the fuse box by the drivers right knee.
I think he might mean that there is a suitable connector (the 30 pin brown inner wing connector) there that could be butchered to make up a diag plug. as its the same connector as the diagnostic socket.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

wheeler wrote:I think he might mean that there is a suitable connector (the 30 pin brown inner wing connector) there that could be butchered to make up a diag plug. as its the same connector as the diagnostic socket.
Is this it? I pulled a loom off a MK1 and took the connector with it.

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

wheeler wrote:
DickieG wrote:
I think he might mean that there is a suitable connector (the 30 pin brown inner wing connector) there that could be butchered to make up a diag plug. as its the same connector as the diagnostic socket.
Good point I never thought of that.

Mike, yes that's the one.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Dickie, I only need the 16-pin connector - they're common enough. Then I'll be looking for the pinouts.

Do the other pics make better sense of what I was trying to convey? When I first saw those round connectors on the cables I thought surely they'll fit the underside of the portable but Jim put me right on that score and my Diag manual shows an adapter (PR37) is required so they can be plugged into the 37-way D-type.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Just to clarify Dickie, is the 30-pin in the photo the ECU connector or the Lexia connector?

And to repeat my request to anyone with a Lexia2 or DIAG2000 (Jim's kindly offered to do it but we all know he's got plenty to do without me putting on him) if you'd be willing to buzz out the pins from the 37-way D-type to the ECU connectors (16 and 30 pin) I'd be extrememly grateful.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

MikeT wrote:Just to clarify Dickie, is the 30-pin in the photo the ECU connector or the Lexia connector?
That is the diagnostic plug, the socket can be found in the fuse box on Xantia's.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Dickie, I'm still confused. I've seen the 30-pin adapters on ebay and they are what I call sockets - ie they accept pins plugged into them. I've always considered plugs to have the pins and that is what my pictured connector has.

Perhaps I should try asking if Activa could supply me with the pinouts schematic, do you think they'd oblige? :lol:
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

superloopy1 wrote:You want the pinouts from the D connector to the actual connector socket on the 30pin?

That assumes that you're going to makeup a straight-thru cable, yes?
Hi Mike,

Sorry for the confusion but you're bang on the money. I want to make the main diaganostic connectors (both 30 and 16pin) straight through to the 37-way D-type...... assuming I'm not making a big mistake doing this.... I mean, why does the PR37 even exist? I can't see the sense of it.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi Mike,

I envisioned the adapter might serve as a quick disconnect/reconnect function (one finger click vs two thumb screws of the D-type) but length of cable? It is for the portable after all. Just make them longer would sort it IMO but what do I know?

Are you saying you've buzzed them all out already??? :shock: That's sterling work and very kind of you! I'm really pleased as now I won't have to harass Jim, allowing him to get on with more important tasks.