PSA recall 107/C1's

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

PSA recall 107/C1's

Post by Xaccers »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8489079.stm
Peugeot Citroen, Europe's second-biggest carmaker, is recalling some cars made with Toyota in Europe.

"For Peugeot 107s and Citroen C1s, we are going to carry out an identical campaign as Toyota," a spokesman said.

The Japanese car giant has now recalled millions of cars worldwide with faulty pedals.

Both models are made in a Czech plant, a joint venture with Toyota that assembles around 200,000 Peugeot and Citroen cars every year.

Peugeot said "under 100,000" cars will be recalled. It did not say when the recall would begin.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I have not read what the "problem" was, does anyone know ?

I'd assume its a potentiometer throttle (ie: no cable or no "direct" link to the butterfly on a petrol engine)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Apparently it's a mechanical problem where the pedal sticks in the down position.

Could lead to a bowel movement or two...
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8488377.stm
'My Toyota crashed through a wall'

Derek McCall is an 81-year-old Toyota driver, from Ickenham, in west London.

On Friday 13 February 2009, his Toyota Auris accelerated out of control, crashed through a wall and into a garden. Toyota said the vehicle was not faulty.
Sounds like a worry

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Good excuse to get off speeding ticket...

Also cant imagine a C1/107/aygo making someone poop their pants when it tried to accelerate even at full whack... very slow vehicles tbh :) think Xantia 1.6 petrol with full load of people onboard....
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I've been following this story for a while now, with great interest on the outcome, it appears to be an issue effecting almost all recent Toyotas.
the problem has existed for some time, I guess Toyota has finally traced the fault in their test environment. So far they have also issued a recall of 1.1 million cars has been issued in the USA for the same reason. Officially listed as a faulty Accelerator pedal, however from reading many of the stories from the US it seems the 'faulty pedal' may be smoke and mirrors, most mechanics suspect a software fault only manifest under certain conditions, unfortunately only whilst driving!

What ever the issue it must be very serious for Toyota to recall almost 3 million cars (1.1 in the USA 1.8 in Europe)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Xac wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8488377.stm
'My Toyota crashed through a wall'

Derek McCall is an 81-year-old Toyota driver, from Ickenham, in west London.

On Friday 13 February 2009, his Toyota Auris accelerated out of control, crashed through a wall and into a garden. Toyota said the vehicle was not faulty.
Sounds like a worry
I should probably have stopped driving right then, but I didn't. I thought: 'The trouble will probably go away if I drive on a bit'.

I carried on, but the car kept racing forward every time I touched the accelerator.
Indeed, a worry when someone is so stupid as to keep on driving when they know they have a sticking throttle.
spider

Post by spider »

I don't get this :?:

Drive by wire / electronic throttle control , regardless even if it shorted and was fully "open" / manual or autobox , a good foot on the brakes and if needed switching the ignition off will bring it to a standstill.

*exceptions being diesels which are enjoying their own engine oil :o (but that's not the case here)
Andy.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You would think they are the first manufacturer to ever have a recall, this has been way over hyped by the media.
Loads of car makers have had much more serious ones than this including Citroen who have had loads, then there are the manufacturers with serious problems that refuse to admit theres a problem & don't recall them.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

spider wrote:I don't get this :?:

Drive by wire / electronic throttle control , regardless even if it shorted and was fully "open" / manual or autobox , a good foot on the brakes and if needed switching the ignition off will bring it to a standstill.

*exceptions being diesels which are enjoying their own engine oil :o (but that's not the case here)
Yes, we know that, but going by that quote many drivers aren't actually that bright! :disturbed:

DIY sphere tool
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Problem is people generally panic, and don't think straight, also a lot of people press the breaks, when they don't slow the car down enough, they start to pump the breaks, which on these modern toyotas the breaks are quite computer controlled, will result in the break computer giving up, registering a breaking system fault, and reverting back to manual non assist breaking only, which makes the problem worse. Switching the ignition off not much help either, you loose power assist breaks, power steering, if your in an auto you loose the gearbox, so your coasting at 90mph!
Regarding the breaks issue I saw an recreation video where the guy actually demonstrates this happening, not the throttle jammed on, but pressing the breaks hard whilst keeping the throttle on.
Heres the vid, its designed for the American market hence why he's only referring to automatic transmissions.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2 ... rakes.html

I think a big deal is being made from this story as Toyota are currently the worlds largest car manufacture, (yes bigger than GM), and have a reputation for being very relyable and trustworthy, hence why it seems like a big deal, although there is a fair tendency for over exaggerate these days.

Oh yes further to the story, did you all hear toyota are considering recalling the newest Prius models apparently there may be faults in the breaking system! I see a bumpy future for the worlds largest car manufacture.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm intreagued by the Prius brake issue when I heard about it.
Mate of mine has one as a company car in Brighton. At it's 10,000 mile service it's rear discs needed to be replaced due to rust!

DIY sphere tool
spider

Post by spider »

Things like this put me off ABS (although that is quite handy sometimes!) , it's certainly putting me off other "features"...

EBFD and ESP etc etc

:?
Andy.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd suggest those concerns are misplaced. We're already safely living in the shadow of many computer-controlled events, from water quality to planes flying overhead.

Poor driver skills are the main cause of bad outcomes in these types of product failures. People should be more thoroughly taught to just stand on the brakes if it's looking grim; not to shilly-shally about with a light pressing.

Much as that, people also seem to press on, when stopping to evaluate a problem could be smarter (and safer).
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

For anyone still following this story the BBC are claiming the total recall count to be around 7.4 million

However the new Wiki article claims around 9 million

I'm unsure which is accurate, but even going by the lower figures of 7.4 million thats a lot of recalls!
With talk of more to come!

Would I be correct in saying this is the largest automotive recall ever, I did a bit of searching, but can't find records of a larger recall.

*edit* no wait just found one... Ford still just higher, making Toyota 2nd largest recall, maybe with the Prius recall will put them over the top ;)
heres a link..
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/total- ... ape_ext_1/

Sources
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8502894.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Toyot ... le_recalls
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx