What car brand would you buy or not buy other than PSA

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

landcrab
My Cars:

Post by landcrab »

I purchased my Xantia 1.8 16v Estate new on the 29th of April 1999,and vowed it would be the last car I ever buy.So far so good!

My other car a 1969 Wolseley 18/85 was purchased new in December 1969 this car has hydrolastic suspension and aftr 128000 miles still gives a ride comparable to the Xantia.
I have a thing about Quirky suspensions.

I will keep both of these cars until I die because I can't find anything better.
Landcrab.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

landcrab wrote: My other car a 1969 Wolseley 18/85
Ah ha, hence the "landcrab" moniker :D

Alec Issigonis, the designer of the Mini et al, was a known Citroen devotee. I believe his own car was a Traction Avant.

I was a devoted BMC owner until such a position became untenable and my last BMC car had Hydragas, not a bad system at all. Poor man's Citoens hydropneumatic.

In a lot of ways, BMC was Britain's Citroen. Compare and contrast the Rover P6 and Citroen DS.

I'm sure you're fining the Xantia is cutting the mustard :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
landcrab
My Cars:

Post by landcrab »

Jim, I absolutely love the Xantia.It does everything I want it to do and more. I tow a 13' Swift 2 berth with it and it makes mincemeat out of 1 in 5 hills.
I have also carried ten 2x2x2 paving slabs in the back with no adverse effects.
The trouble with self levelling suspension is,you don't know when to stop loading.
Incidentally I have had the caravan for 18 years so that owes me nothing either.
I never believe in change for the sake of it.If it is working well keep using it and the right maintenance will pay for itself.

My old Wolseley has been fantastic,never burns a spot of oil between oil changes,never fails to start. Finding spares is getting hard though.

The biggest problem I have is getting back into it. Wherever I leave it I have to fight my way through the crowd it attracts while I'm away!!

Landcrab
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

CitroJim wrote: Ah ha, hence the "landcrab" moniker :D
Snap, I was wondering the same thing myself! Haven't seen one of them for yonks.

I remember them being heeuuge,although I'll have been very young and very small.. so there you go!
Very advanced in their day weren't they?Turning circle etc? Then BL came along with the Maxi etc and...well..BL...Bloody Lousy :roll:
I used to be a fan of Mr.Issigonis myself,very clever bloke.Didn't he sketch the Mini on a napkin or summat 8-)

Was behind its sister car once,Morris 1800,(again,years ago),on the motorway which blew its engine right in front of us!

Ah memories..sorry to drone on :D
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
landcrab
My Cars:

Post by landcrab »

Dave,
My old car is exactly the same colour as the one in your photo,Damask Red. My Xantia is Dante Red. I don't normally like red! Think I'm going daft.

Still a few Landcrabs around but you have to go to classic car shows to see them. I do know the owner of the one in your picture and the one next to it.