Computer help required please

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Homer wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Linux gives me a headache :twisted: I tried it once and didn't get on with it at all.
How long ago? If it was more than 12 months then you should try it again, things move much faster in the Linux world than the MS world.
I tend to try it every six months for the past 10 years, ubuntu/suse/knopix/RH etc, sometimes its given a good interface but is a pita to use, other times its got a naff interface but is a pita to use.
Good for a free mail/web server or firewall though.
Homer wrote:
All I know is that XP rocks. You can keep (especially) Vista and Windows 7. XP is now very mature and stable.
You are kidding me, yes?

Mature and creaking at the joints more like. And the only time it's stable is when it's showing you the BSOD.

Vista had it's issues but wasn't really deserving the bad reception it got, mainly because people expected everything to work with it straight away, forgetting how little worked with XP when it first arrived... and how little still works with XP without 3rd party drivers and software.

Windows 7 is simply fantastic at the side of XP.
Can't remember the last time I witnessed XP BSODing, must be about 3 years or so ago caused by faulty memory.
As someone who works in desktop and server support, W7 has made managing users experience a pita, for no logical reason. The removal of the superior classic start menu, the relocation of the all users profile to mention just two of its inferior aspects.
Its a shame as underneath it all W7 is light and efficient.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Colin, I've got a psu tester if you want to borrow it. Alternatively, I can pop round and sort your PC, possibly upgrade it if it's that old. Send me a pm to arrange if you're interested. You're also welcome to bring it round here of course.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Xac wrote:The removal of the superior classic start menu...
What? You mean I can't make it look like Win98 any more?

(Scratches Win7 off his list as a possible replacement...)
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​