Mechanic courses and other helpful advice needed!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

candy wrote:... i love it would do it for nothing if i could just wish i had been given the chance when i left school
Try changing the radiator in an aircon Vectra B; or swapping the alternator on an east-west Mitsubishi V6. ](*,)
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Couldn`t think of a decent trade to get into ATM. Better with a trade than none though. You could study and teach after it OR make it into a business.(harder) I wish I had went to teach rather than work for myself.

Welders are as badly hit as Builders at the moment. That could/will change in 5yrs though.

Welding is a horrible job too......Chasing the blue lady with a bucket on yer head :lol: On your knees under and over outside on site or inside a cold factory unit. The best welders make the best money, although in a boom all are doing well.

Best trade in the building is Joiner I would say. You can learn more of building and go self employed when you have the experience. Most people who have building businesses are /were joiners.Plumbers and Electrician are good trades but are actually engineers. In Building I reckon you will get 3 or four boom periods in a lifetime with the same amount of collapses....that is the nature of the beast. Engineering was more stable but even that has changed

I would say that a Motor Mechanic working for one of the big boys is not as bad a job. Mostly newish cars servicing and warranty work. Nice clean brightly lit premises with good conditions. Compare that to the small garage where you work with or for the owner.........that is a world of difference but it`s where you may end up :shock:

Best work for a big company....not for the guy who pays the bills or buys your overalls.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Just a desperate plea for some advice please

My lad has his second set of tests and a formal interview at the college on wednesday but ........
Oh bugger,better update things first :oops:

My lad has chosen to do a motor vehicle course at a dedicated college/centre attatched/part of a VOSA technical centre in bournemouth.The course is pretty much the same as the engineering course in its base with dedicated sections on vehicle maintenence/electronics/body repair.
Hes had a first test on his basic maths/english and science which along with his school reports he passed.

Now for the advice :)

He has his second and final tests and interview on wednesday (apologies for repeating myself :oops: ) but this time the tests are maths and englidh but the last part is the problem..Mechanical comprehension :? :?

What exactly should a 14yr old be expected to know about Mechanical Comprehension.Im guessing its more motor vehicle related but any thoughts/comments would be much appreciated :)

Colin
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd say that's a fancy way of describing how someone may be capable of nutting things out, based on visual cues and commonsense.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd agree Adam, back in the good old days what we called aptitude :)

It's basically that Colin, a test to see if your lad has mechanical aptitude.

Even before the term "aptitude" was coined it was known as a trade test. Dad tells me of his; he was given a gearbox in bits and told to reassemble it.

I do wish they'd not invent new buzzwords for things that already have adequate names :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

The DTS Mechanical Aptitude Test
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes/M ... lAptitude/

I think this appeared on here somewhere before.
It could serve as a useful warm-up.
David

BX19TRS 120K E Reg 1992-2013
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg