Are renault 16's soughts after?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Are renault 16's soughts after?

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone knows if Renault 16's are sought after?
The reason I ask is that my dad has one parked under a sheet (it is I think an old L reg, about 1972? Would need to check. it has been there many years) and a few spares (wings, bonnet, boot lid etc).
Trying to get him to get rid of it but don't know whether it's worth the hassle to sell as a restoration project or just get the scrap man in.
Edit: he also has two others that are very rotten, however the glass in them appears to be good and possibly some interior parts.
All answers appreciated.

Simon.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Your best bet is RENOMAD :D - I haven't seen him on here in a good while though. He frequents the Autoshite forums too if you can't track him down here...
ImageImage
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Except for minters in any trim, there are two models really "desired" (meaning, will fetch scrap value or slightly better).

They are the last of the teardrop taillight TS model, and the late TX series - both in manual.

Absolutely don't get the idea they are collectibles due to rarity; despite being a great car with many strong points the market just doesn't appreciate them.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it could also depend if its TAX exempt, i belive up to the end of january 1972 is,

addo wrote
"with many strong points"

one beeing they rot before you very eyes

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You've forgotten the seats and the ride.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The TS is a beautiful car. I was privileged to drive one for a short while back in the 70s when my R4 was off the road. Column change and a ride that seemed like a feather bed back in those days.

Any R16 restoration will be a challenge though because they love to rust so much. Worth it in the end, not many left now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

Quite a few of my fiends had R16s back in the day. I seem to remember a disproportionately high number ended up on their roofs. Seems the suspension was a little too soft. :wink:

I know where there are 4 or 5 rusting hulks that someone 'collected' but I doubt they'll ever be restored.
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I believe the speeds at which people confidently drove them, contributed greatly to the "turtle" issues. Especially on skinny tyres (165-14 XAS from memory). Here, they were regarded as a genuine 100MPH car, meaning you could drive them comfortably all day or night at an indicated 100.

They also pioneered Renault's version of the "Bureau de Bâtarde" maintenance school, whereby there were NO shortcuts in procedure. If the book said to first remove X,Y, and Z before servicing B - you would rapidly discover the total interdependency of these seemingly unrelated parts.

Cheers, Adam.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Thanks for the replies guys.
They acctually got me remebering being driven round in it a a child by my mum and dad.
I can remember it was very comfortable!
It even has made me recall the handbrake cable snapping on it whilst my mum had left us in the car to take some food to my grandad, luckily his neighbours house stopped the car (no damage to the house, but a dent & broken light on the back of the car). :lol:
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Replying to the original question...are they desirable.....in my view YES :D
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Think I'll have to tak my dad into getting rid of it/them. the one has been parked on boards and sheeted up for many years so hopefully shouldn't be too bad. I'll have to take a look.
Would be great to see it restored and back on the road. Same with all the morris minors he's got there too. :roll:
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I believe roadworthy examples of the R16 in the UK are into single figures now so it's definitely worth saving. Sadly their rarity doesn't make them particularly valuable.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.