HELP!!! Small Automatic Wanted

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:but are you OK Jim
i know you are snowed under with trasfering the forum and every thing elss you are doing at the mow, but you seem fairly qiute and subdued at the mow, and dont seem to be your usual self,

kind regards
malcolm
I'm absolutely fine Malcolm, never better actually :D :D Just my usual busy self with lots of things all going on at the same time. I'm not sure my recent activities involving THREE heater matrixes can be described as quiet and subdued :roll: I'm forever multi-tasking at the moment...

Somehow I'm balancing work (the sort that earns me money) the family (the ones that spend my money :lol: ) and the forum/cars. It's a delicate act and the first two often take the lion's share of my time :twisted:

Since being on the low-fat diet and really taking note of my health, I've actually had lots more energy and thoroughly enjoying life in general...

On the technical side of the forum, work progresses at a slow pace. It's something I'm not rushing as I don't want to compromise the reliability or usability of it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good to hear Jim,

i have just spotted this on the BXF

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11283, might be the answer for your dad,

i know some people might say its not a small car, but beeing the estate it has very good visabilaty out of the rear

kind regards
malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I know it's almost herecy on here, but it might worth a look at a Xsara Picasso (*) - yes it's a bit bigger, but getting in and out is a doddle, especially if you are getting a bit stiff, and has a nice sit up and beg driving position. A Saxo is pretty low down, and the pedal box pretty cramped for those getting on in years.

* hmm, I wasn't sure what engine / auto combos there were, but looking on Autotrader (which is almost impossible with the new 'improved' website) it seems most are 2.0 petrol, so maybe not....

The Suzuki Wagon R / Vyuxkhall Agila thing seems to do well with the older drivers, because of the ease of access.

HonestJohn reckons on using left foot braking (at least when manouvering) to prevent 'unintentional accleration syndrome' whereby you plant your foot on the accelerator, thinking it's the brake, but you can't disengage your brain to lift it off, and press harder instead, thus driving over / through whatever it was you were trying to avoid....
Richard W
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

About a year ago i was asked to help a disabled relative to find a new car, an automatic. They had never driven an automatic before but due to medical reasons they would soon need one.

So my immediate first stop was at the Citroen dealer, where we drove a Automatic Picasso. A 2.0 petrol, it was ok but i was less than impressed with the picasso, it didnt compare to our new shape Scenic at all well. The ride wasnt great, much less leg room and felt quite cheap. Though it was quite an early model.

Thinking the Picasso might be a bit big we asked what else they had in stock with an auto box. They had a range topping C3 Exclusive 1.6 automatic. Which i much prefered to the Picasso. Nice ride (with 4 people in each time), enough space and a much better size.

A year on and they are still enjoying the car, its been faultless and good to drive, if a little heavy on fuel, but thats to be expected. With the C3 you still get a highish driving position, certainly better than the slightly cramped Saxos.

Not sure what prices of these are now though.

A Xsara automatic would be my first thought, as i said earlier in this thread. In fact there is a very nice 03 Xsara HDi automatic on ebay at the moment (i was looking yesterday) only around 30K miles and in good condition apart from two slightly damaged front wings. "owner became less expert at aiming the car through the garage door" :?

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-CITROEN-XSAR ... 286.c0.m14

Anyway looks nice and rare to find a diesel automatic.

Though a 1.4/1.6 would suffice i would imagine. The xsara is quite an underrated car in my opinion, great cars and a nice size too. Plus they are usually very good value for money.

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10