HELP!!! Small Automatic Wanted

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

HELP!!! Small Automatic Wanted

Post by CitroJim »

I'm out of my depth here and I pray some aid can come my way.

Dad bought a new Nissan Pixo a few months ago and now, due to deteriorating leg and foot issues, he's having great difficulty driving it as it's manual. A shame as the Pixo is a smashing little car.

He has asked me to find him a small automatic to replace the Pixo and costing around £2,000 or less.

I'm now a bit stuck as my knowledge of small automatic cars is absolute nil. I'm open to suggestings, recommendations and potential leads.

There are two things that will happen as a result: Robyn, my daughter, will be given the Pixo. That's the good thing. The downside is that if I can't find Dad a suitable car, he's threatening to get a mobility scooter :twisted:

The car must be small, around Saxo sort of size and not needing too much in the way of TLC.

Grateful thanks :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

my friend bought his mrs a little micra auto, for 80 quid , it was reliable, even though old
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

So a nice green 2.0i Xantia auto doesn't count even if it's an Sx or Vsx? :D
Hard to find when you do want one...

a xantia is small! If you're used to driving an Xm or Cx!! :lol:

Andrew

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Alfa 147 with Sillyspeed? Any Cit-head will find the accumulator and shift solenoid biz pretty familiar. They're cheap enough, comfy and hard to lose control of.

Drawbacks - replace the expansion tank and cap (they fail), make sure the accumulator has always been gassed well, and show Old Dad how to adjust the mirrors copper-style to cover the thick rear pillars' blind spots.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've been down the Xantia road Andrew, tried to tempt the old boy with a nice 1.9TD auto but to him a Xantia is a massive car.. Anything bigger than a 205, Saxo or (old) mini is a biggie to him and therefore ruled out of court :( He has never in his life had anything bigger than Morris Marina and that was a BIG car for him.

CitroV6, a Micra may well fit the bill. I hat to admit this here but I'm quite a fan of Nissans generally.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

ebay has spoken!!

I tried keying in small automatic car and it came back with only 1 result!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=smal ... t=0&_rdc=1

:lol: The God's have spoken!! Not sure about the "small" bit mind,
but that's one hell of an automatic!

Andrew

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And I'm now going to have to wait now until I get home to see it Andrew :twisted: At work I can get to the forum but the 'bay is very much verboten...

I guess it's not a nice little Micra then?
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Well Jim, I couldn't make this up - made me laugh though!!

Andrew

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well Jim they are small at least when the suspension is wright down they a very low, how much smaller can you get than one of them sitting on its bump stop's,

and if you move the decimal point it would be in the right price range to

regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Saxo automatics Jim???

C2 is just outside the price bracket im afraid for even a 2003 one :(

How a bout a 306 or still too big??
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:At work I can get to the forum but the 'bay is very much verboten...
Whereas I can get to both but not bid on Ebay. But when we go to the new forum I'll be losing the ability to login so I'll end up the other way round!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

My only experience of a small-engined auto is a Fiesta. I'm quite impressed with their CVT gearbox as there's no gears so it can be asked to accelerate constantly in the powerband making it quick for the engine size. I didn't find the interior cramped either which is unusual for small cars IME.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Andrew, I loved that automatic you found :D Sweet and no too big either... I stall had to wait until i got home because our work internet will neither give us eBay nor your images :twisted: I have to read all posts without benefit of pictures :(

Mike, interesting on the CVT, I've driven a Daf and loved it myself. The future of transmissions I always thought. Just like Hydropneumatic suspension; a brilliant system and concept that has utterly failed to take over the world as both it and CVTs should have by now.

The one thing that puts me off of Festers is my absolute hatred of them, even moreso than the Luton Lemon known as the Corsa :twisted: My problem with the Fester mainly is their horrible, utterly claustrophobic interior and the fact that Dagenham Dustbins still seem very attractive to the tinworms.

Dad and I have more or sell settled on a lateish Auto Saxo. They're plentiful and not too hard on the pocket. Auto Micras seem quite rare and pricey as a result. Plus I know a good bit about Saxos. Downside is that have the Renault MB3 gearbox which I believe is a three-speed. 0-60 measured with a calandar but dad is not worried by that and it has to be quicker than a mobility scooter :lol:
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Not wishing to be a killjoy here Jim but invariably unless your Dad has recent experience of driving an automatic the chances are that he'll find it very difficult to adapt, he'll either go for the clutch and stand the car on its nose and get rear-ended or forget the creep element and crash into whatever is ahead of him.

Never underestimate the difficulties some people have in adapting to an auto, just this week I had a student (26 years old) go for the non-existent clutch and stamp on the brakes twice within the first 10 minutes of his drive with a clear road ahead and stop the car dead. Thankfully nothing was behind otherwise I'd now be off work with whiplash, or worse,,,,,,

In my experience the term "Old dog new tricks" is most relevant when it comes to driving, once someone is 40+ the time it takes to adapt to a new skill takes significantly longer.

If it was my Dad I'd not let him loose on his own without spending some considerable time and mileage 'retraining' him and even then the big issue is that under pressure people revert to type.

Be very careful with this one is my advice.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

On the other hand (not to completely contradict you Richard) my dad bought a Renault 30 TX Auto when he was in his late seventies and took to it like a duck to water, his first time in any automatic. Loved it till the floor fell out of it. Had been driving a Moggie for many years prior to that.

It was also the first automatic I had driven, loved it.