insurance questions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

insurance questions

Post by jgra1 »

hi Chaps..

I had a collision last week with a vauxhall type thing.. no injuries, no witnesses.. it was a very thin road and it was an offside 1/4 damage to both cars...

I told my insurance, who were pretty calm and thought straight away a 50/50.
I told them I wouldn't bother to claim for the xant..

the other party's insurance just rang me.. they wanted to confirm I was happy it was a 50/50, and to ask what i wanted to do.

They want to recoup half the costs of repairing her car from my insurance. Because of this I will loose 2 years NCB... regardless of whether I claim. They also thought it was well within my rights to claim for half my costs from them... seems all a bit silly.

anyway, is that normal ? a 50/50 situatin, and both insurance companies paying half of their client and half the other ?

I dont know what to do.. my damage is mainly plastics, and cosmetics.. the cost of repair would be way more that the car's worth... plus i have an excess, not sure how much but probably over £300...

what would you do ? I can repair the front ok, and live with a dented bonnet and wing, and carry on as normal.. the car is only a hack for me these days, it will never look like a 10YO should.. therefore, i loose 2 more years NCB and thats all, until I renew...

or I can get the car examined, definately written off.. then buy it back.. that will cost me the excess plus I may then loose my insurance for the rest of year ? and there will be little payout after all that.. a 1998 140K xantia is worth nothing really..

just after some thoughts really..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Find out how much they plan to claim from your insurance company and if possible offer to pay it.
If it's too much to pay in one go, ask if you can pay by installments, if they're not up for that, contact your insurance and ask if you pay them back before your insurance runs out will you keep your no claims.
I did that and while having an accident pushed up my premium a bit, I earnt an extra year's no claims rather than lose it.
Now I've got protected no claims.

As for your Xant, I've got a light blue undented front bonnet, pair of wings and bumper + grill that need to be moved, so you're welcome to them if you'd like :)
Gives you an excuse to visit Citrojim towers and have a cuppa too!

Hang on, yours is a Mk2 isn't it?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

many thanks Xac

will think on that..

is your stuff M2 ?

the costs to the other, have to be 1-2K !
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

No it's S1 from when someone dented Cassy's OS wing.
Poop.

With it being 1-2K, it looks like you're going to have to take the hit of your excess and loss of NCB :(

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

it wont affect my excess though xac?

:(
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

jgra1 wrote:it wont affect my excess though xac?

:(
the hit of having to pay your excess.

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

i mean, I am not claiming for anything.. I thought the excess was there to disuade me from claiming... if i dont claim I dont pay?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

jgra1 wrote:i mean, I am not claiming for anything.. I thought the excess was there to disuade me from claiming... if i dont claim I dont pay?
Your insurance is paying out half her costs right?
You normally have to pay an excess on that, not just if you make a claim.
Depends on your policy though.

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:shock:

thanks Xac
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's an outrage; having to pay excess on a third party's claim. :evil: I'd be re-thinking any admissions of fault, or looking for a good alibi.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

yes Addo, I must admit, I am mucho suprised if that is the case..
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Here's a cut and paste from my policy:
If your car requires immediate repair, or you are at fault for the accident, or the third party’s details are not known, we recommend claiming the cost of repairs under your own motor policy.You will be responsible for the policy excess. However, uninsured losses such as the policy excess can usually be recovered from the third party if they are to blame for the accident, using a Legal Expenses policy (or your motor policy if Uninsured Loss Recovery is automatically included). In some cases, where blame is not easily decided or admitted, 50:50 settlements may be agreed which may prejudice your excess and no claims discount....

...In some cases, where liability cannot be agreed or decided, both parties’ insurers may agree the claim on a shared basis. This is where the total cost of both claims are added together and split between the two insurance companies. Your no claims discount will be affected and your policy excess will be payable.
I would assume from that last sentence that even if you're not claiming yourself, you still have to pay half the other party's costs. :roll:

I'd check your policy wording to see if there's anything similar in it....
ImageImage
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i had a ding dong with some colour person with my BX in huntingdon a few years ago,
it could not be proved it was his fault, so the reair to the thir persons car was claimed from my insurance,

as i fixed my own carand did not claim for the damage i did not have to pay the 250 exccess to my insurers

regards malcolm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Xac wrote:
jgra1 wrote:i mean, I am not claiming for anything.. I thought the excess was there to disuade me from claiming... if i dont claim I dont pay?
Your insurance is paying out half her costs right?
You normally have to pay an excess on that, not just if you make a claim.
Depends on your policy though.
You cannot have an excess on third party cover. Your insurance will pay all the 3rd party claim. The excess is ONLY for damage to your own vehicle.

You would also be able to claim half the excess back from the 3rd party if they settle 50/50.

What I would do is, let your insurance handle the 3rd parties claim against you and make a private claim back against the 3rd party for half the cost of a repair (get your own quotes for repair to your satisfaction). You don't have to accept the car being written off, you have a right to have the damage put right. The downside of this is that you'll have to pay the other 50%. Though if it's a small claim they might even send you a cheque.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hi all and thanks..

I spoke to the company who are taking care of my claim..

the following things emerged..

the car is part of a 3 car fleet - the other two vehicles will still have a years extra NCB after this year (and one being an import and one a group 19, I certainly smashed the correct one ) :twisted:

so thats a good result.

My excess is not being depleted for anything... as I am not claiming any damage to my car, so I am told..

will wait and see.. whether I have to pay out of my pocket, half of the other party's excess remains to be seen...

I am fully comp Homer, for what it's worth.

I value [d] my Xant at aroun £500-700 , but it's payed for itself over and over..
the bumper, a wing, a bonnet, a headlight, some bent metal, a smashed inner bumper would probably cost 1K upwards..

so by claiming, I loose the car, may get £200 back in the end.. its full to the top with fuel too :) and then either buy it back off them, or walk awway with very little..

so, I have sourced a bumper in silver, inner bumper, headlight, indicator and they are all on the way to me , I have brought a second aerosol of paint :) and hope fully will be back behind the wheel in a few days.. also, hopefully the engine should be good for a lot longer.. the suspension is behaving and I have leather, tow bar, roof bars which all make it worth hanging onto..

at end of year, I will be 2 years NCB down, on the cheapest car I have, so hopefully it wont make a massive difference.. the other 2 cars will reduce in cost hopefully, if I keep them, so all in all things dont look horrific :)