Alfa Selespeed Hydraulics

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Alfa Selespeed Hydraulics

Post by addo »

We posted off the remains of my first donor car, to the breakers this morning. As a final dummy spit it started and idled with no glass, airbag module, lighting, seats or dash but the minute I engaged reverse and tried to move it, it shut down and refused to restart! Clutch was jammed open with a length of scrap bar and the car pushed outside.

Anyhow - having all the front exposed allowed good inspection of Selespeed hydraulics. Think C-Matic, but with AL4 quality decision making. :wink: I read this evening about Selespeed "issues", and it certainly sounds like accumulator function has an awful lot to do with adequacy of gearbox performance. Funny, that. :lol:

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a suitable Cit accumulator that may be spliced into the circuit as a cheaper and more accessible replacement for the £50 Alfa one. While my crashed car doesn't have Sillyspeed, it's been interesting to realise that a lot of the typical "Citrophobia" remarks are very similar to ones directed at the Selespeed box...

Cheers, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's one very INTERESTING gearbox Adam :)

I like my gearboxes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It is interesting, because it's really old-tech with modern logic applied to it. Very different to a DSG type transmission. One wonders how hard it might be, to adapt paddle shift to a CX! :shock:

I give the Alfas a C- for ease of service/access, though - a Xantia is far easier to work on!
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

How about this for an interesting gearbox.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/products ... lutch.html

One my neighbours has a either this system or one very simlar in his new SEAT LEON, aka VW Golf.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P