Notchy gear change when engine is cold

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Tourist
My Cars:

Notchy gear change when engine is cold

Post by Tourist »

Title says it all ... gear box seems very notchy when engine is cold. It's reluctant to go in gear without pushing the clutch all the way in? Once warmed up seems fine, any ideas? Not sure when the last service was, I think the oil and filter were changed at 98k now on 101k. Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is this on your new 306 James?

If so, the answer is a change of gearbox oil. The BE3 only likes 75W/80 and prefers Total BV but in my experience they are happy on Comma 75W/80.

You'll find the Comma stuff in most good factors and you know you have the right stuff as it says it's specifically for "certain Peugeot and Citroen gearboxes"

Anything else and you'll have the symptoms you describe. So may peiople chuck EP80 or EP90 in, not realising how fussy they are.

The wrong oil can also lead to synchro wear and failure.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

And the car is???? Presumably the 306TD you bought? The linkages can get a bit sloppy as they get older, although the fact that it's OK when warm wouldn't support that being the problem. They are quite notchy anyway. Maybe you'll just have to push the clutch all the way in. It's the recommended way. :wink:

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If the clutch is also heavy, it might simply be a well-worn clutch - that would tally with the idea of needing to push it in a long way.
Tourist
My Cars:

Post by Tourist »

Sorry this is my 306 TD. Is the gearbox oil separate from the engine oil, or is that a stupid question? :lol: looking to get an oil and filter change soon, will I need to do the gear box on top of this. Thanks.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Tourist wrote:Is the gearbox oil separate from the engine oil?
Yes, totally separate and a quite different type.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto