C15 camper van

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Tourist
My Cars:

C15 camper van

Post by Tourist »

Look at this :D

Spotted in Padworth, Berkshire. It's certainly unusual :lol:
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

The Romahome. Seen a few around.

We've wanted a camper van for a while. I once suggested a Romahome to the GF as a cheap possibility. The response was short and direct!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I saw one of these a few times around my parts a few months ago :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Quite an odd thing, although i have seen a fair few of those. They also do a Berlingo version too.

We didn't get many of the C15 models over here in the Uk, in France they made a van which had the same overhang as that romahome does. They also made mixter versions (like the Berlingo multispace), a pickup and 6 wheel versions too.

Im amased how quickly the C15 seems to have died out, considering they were made until 2004, i rarely see any now. Shame as they were a very good, robust van, very simple to maintain unlike todays vans.

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The motorhome version of the C15 seems to have survived quite well though. I know of several in walking distance of me, all cherished and I guess they have survived well because they are not much used really.

The C15 is a great survivor, being based very squarely on the Visa which last year celebrated its 30th birthday and was an early recepient of the XUD7 engine.

The C15 is the French version of that other great van survivor, the Bedford HA van that was based on the HA Viva dating from 1963 and still in production in the 80s for BT and Royal Mail..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Your right Jim, most are business used vans, which tend to get knocked about and shown very little care. Romahomes are generally well looked after and cherished.

I know of one C15 surviving very well, ours.

Possibly the rarest of C15s ever built - the only RHD C15 6 wheel stretch version built for Citroen. My dad ordered it new in 94 and we still have it, its still going and looking like the day we picked it up in 1994.

It gets very little use now though, just lots of pampering, rest and a day out every now and then when the weather is nice. It has done 107K miles, all without any faults at all. A very handy thing to have around, it has 5 seats, a rear side door and power steering, oh and a huge boot! :lol:

I think rust is the biggest killer of C15, even relatively late models i see on the road are rusted to bits. Ours is rust free, although that is down to frequent polishing and the odd trip to the bodyshop when it does appear :roll:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Romahome make a camper based on the Nemo/Bipper these days.

Talk about not having room to swing a cat... :lol: :lol:

ImageImage
Tourist
My Cars:

Post by Tourist »

Citroenmad wrote:Im amased how quickly the C15 seems to have died out, considering they were made until 2004, i rarely see any now.
Really? I see a fair few around where I live.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I was tempted to get one when I worked shifts.
We tended to stay at work over the weekend and even some weeknights (was cheaper than driving home), and a romahome would have easily fitted in the underground carpark and been a lot more comfortable than an airbed in a meeting room!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

CitroJim wrote:The motorhome version of the C15 seems to have survived quite well though. I know of several in walking distance of me, all cherished and I guess they have survived well because they are not much used really.

The C15 is a great survivor, being based very squarely on the Visa which last year celebrated its 30th birthday and was an early recepient of the XUD7 engine.

The C15 is the French version of that other great van survivor, the Bedford HA van that was based on the HA Viva dating from 1963 and still in production in the 80s for BT and Royal Mail..
It would seem that some commercial vehicles are safe from the wear, and tear that they receive in commercial use.

This is because if you go to your local sorting office, you will see postman Pat and his mates putting your mail in their own cars to ferry it around, instead of using a post office van as they would have in the past.

How does that work out from an insurance point of view with lost mail etc ?

These Romahomes are certainly different, and a niche vehicle, but to get yourself into that niche, do you have to get in the foetus position to sleep?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.