Bosch or Lucas

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Tourist
My Cars:

Bosch or Lucas

Post by Tourist »

Which fuel pump is better? I heard somewhere that the Bosch ones are stronger, and more reliable and will last longer, and are the only ones that you can put veg oil through. Is this true?

I won't be surprised if the above is wrong ... can't remember where I heard it.

Thanks.
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

True Bosch are the best,
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Tourist, yep Bosch for anything put pure deisel...well made units that are robust by all accounts

Lucas seem a touch quicker... dont go near them with Veg, Waste oil etc

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, it's a simple rule. Bosch for strength and depenability with reasonable performance and economy and Lucas for performance, economy and fun.

Lucas pumps are delicate little flowers and as John says, they hate anything but the finest diesel.. They're a little highly strung.

Bosch are blokes and Lucas are ladies :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Generally speaking though if you're running on decent quality denzil it won't make any difference.

If, for example you want to run your car on salad cream ( :lol: don't actually do this) or SVO (Straight New Vegetable Oil) then Bosch is the way to go.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Tourist
My Cars:

Post by Tourist »

So depending on the pump there's a difference in performance? How much is this difference?

Thanks for your replies.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Tourist wrote:So depending on the pump there's a difference in performance? How much is this difference?
Depends on how you measure performance James. My bench marks are torque, fuel economy and ease of starting. A Lucas is superior in all three of these areas in my opinion and experience.

I cannot really comment on top speed or balls-out accelleration as these issuses are irrelevant in my way of running a diesel strictly as a workhorse. I have petrol powered cars for fun.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...