HDI engine

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Tourist
My Cars:

HDI engine

Post by Tourist »

Can anyone give me some info on what the HDI engine is like to drive, and to live with.

- Does the computer managment cause problems?
- How is it compared to the earlier XUD engine?

TIA.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Right, I'll try my best

There are various HDi engines available now so would be helpful to know which one you are talking about and in what application.

I have a Xantia with the 2.0 110bhp unit. I find it great, it certainly has the low down grunt and is a lot more freely revving than earlier diesels. The 110 has 184 lbft of torque I believe and it is certainly good for overtaking when you need it. It is super economical too, I see 45mpg round town from mine and 60mpg on a run - if you have a heavy right foot then you won't see these figures. The disadvantage being you cannot run on veg oil of course. It is said you can run it on bio-diesel but I certainly would not be comfortable with doing this. A bit like the Lucas EPIC pumps - happy on a diet of good old diesel and NOTHING else!

Yes, they are more complicated than the old XUD's but I personally have not had any problems - only a stray EM light when I had cambelt failure which cleared fine on a Lexia and has not reoccured.

For comparisions - ask Jim, he has driven the HDi as well as owning a 1.9TD and a 2.1TD so he is best placed to offer comparisions.

I feel it is an excellent engine - keep it maintained and there is no reason why it should be relatively trouble free.

If you need any more info then just ask - I became well aquainted with this engine when I had my cambelt failure :lol: The other person who could provide info is DickieG, he has a HDi 110 Exclusive Estate.

Hope that is helpful
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

HDI engines cars are nice to drive, and torque monsters especially compared to the previous diesel engines which as anyone would tell you are good engines, but the HDI is obviously the next generation on from them.

Now relating this question, to a previous question on another thread, you asked about Activa's well there was a combination of these two things available in mainland Europe, which was the Activa with the HDI engine.

So lots of torque, good mpg with great handling what a combination! 8)

Here's a German road test of an HDI Activa with an online translation.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Tourist
My Cars:

Post by Tourist »

Thanks for your replies, Toby I am referring to the earliest HDI engines founds in cars like the 306, Xsara and Xantia.

Do the ones without intercoolers overheat like I've read?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have driven a 2.0 HDI 110 for a couple of years and also drive my son's 306 D-Turbo.

The 306 feels more aggressive and powerful but when I get back in the C5 I find that although it is less dramatic it is more powerful, accelerates better and runs more smoothly and is much quieter.

As for economy, mine is not returning the mpg I would have hoped for. It can do 60mpg but doesn't often manage it.

On a recent trip to wales, 700+ miles, three adults with mountain bikes and attendant rubbish, mixed motorway and rural/hills and valleys, it returned 43mpg.

It was run for six-eight months on biodiesel until about a year ago and there was no difference whatsoever. Still would be but the source dried up.

I did have a Xantia 1.9 TD and it seemed to me to be quicker and more economical but that could be wishful thinking, also my driving has changed a lot since then, from up to 2000 miles a month to less than 400, mainly short trips.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

The early HDI's were all 8v

In the Xantia and 406 they came in either 90bhp or 110bhp outputs
In the Xsara and the 306 I believe they were only available in the 90bhp unit though I could be mistaken

90bhp does without intercooler, the 110 does have one

I would try to get the 110 if you can, unless you are going for one of the smaller cars.

Not heard anything about overheating - they run VERY cool anyway. Mine sits at 75 degrees all day long. Not sure how it would cause overheating anyway..the intercooler is there to cool the compressed air coming from the turbo.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Tourist
My Cars:

Post by Tourist »

True, is there a surge or power or is it delivered more consistantly throughout the rev range?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The 110 will pull from just over 1000rpm and pull strongly from 1500rpm.

My Xantia went extremely well with that engine but I find the C5 a bit sluggish for some reason. I don't know if that's typical.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

The 110HDI is the one to have, and is pleasant, relaxing and rewarding to drive.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Tourist
My Cars:

Post by Tourist »

reblack68 wrote:My Xantia went extremely well with that engine but I find the C5 a bit sluggish for some reason.
That's probably because the C5 is a lot bigger, and a lot heavier than your Xantia.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Mum has a Xsara and dad has a Picasso, both with 90BHP Hdi units, both are sluggish, especially mum's Xsara.
Cassy leaves them standing.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm a bit late on this thread but I make no secret of my favourite Diesel :D

I have had the pleasure of driving a 110 HDi and 2.1TD back-to-back and it was interesting in that there is not a lot between them in torque and power.

The 2.1TD is an old-school diesel with plenty of grunt but is not as refined and smooth as the HDi. The 2.1 is all about low-down torque and is by no means sporty or revvy. Tghe HDi on the other hand is a lot more responsive and whilst it delivers much the same powe it does it in a far more refined sort of a way and is a lot more eager to rev.

When you feel the weight of a 2.1TD piston you then immediately know why it is not keen on high revs or revving - they weigh a ton :)

The HDi, being a DI engine, is more ecomonical than the 2.1TD but there's not a lot in it. I do think the HDi will be more economical driven hard though.

The 2.1TD represents the pinnacle of IDI engine development with mechanical (albeit electronically controlled) and the HDi still and excellent representative of the new-generation common-rail DI engines.

Complexity does not come into it. One the one hand you have the electronics of the HDi common-rail and on the other hand the 2.1TD has the Lucas EPIC electrronic pump. It's six of one and half a dozon of the other. Trouble in either is expensive.

For all-out all round reliability, ruggedness, ease and cheapness of repair and performance, the old 1.9TD with fully mechanical injection from a Bosch pump is still hard to beat :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

CitroJim wrote: For all-out all round reliability, ruggedness, ease and cheapness of repair and performance, the old 1.9TD with fully mechanical injection from a Bosch pump is still hard to beat :D
Well said that man! :D
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;