Coolant Additives

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Coolant Additives

Post by DickieG »

As mentioned in my blog I've just fitted a new radiator to my VSX Xantia which I intend keeping for the foreseeable future so I in order to preserve the cooling system and in particular the vulnerable heater matrix I''m considering whether its worthwhile using one of Forte's cooling system products (or any other recommended product for that matter) such as either http://www.forteuk.co.uk/Cooling_system.htm or http://www.forteuk.co.uk/Radiator_stop.htm

I welcome anyone's thoughts/experiences.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I haven't tried the Forte coolant but they sound a good idea. I usually just chuck in the nearest thing to hand and change it fairly frequently.

However, with the C5 I have learned that it is supposed to be an imperative to use the Citroen coolant, at a fairly exorbitant price.
At the last service I had the coolant changed and a few days later when the car was MOT'd, it blew a bleed cap off and filled the pit so it all had to be done again. Hey Ho!

I believe the reason for using the Citroen coolant is to protect and extend the life of the heater matrix, which makes it essential from my point of view, anything is better than a leaking heater matrix and therefore cheap at the price.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I phoned the Forte' technical helpline earlier today and had a good chat with a knowledgeable chap there who was very aware of Valeo's advice stating that this is the product that Valeo recommend to preserve the matrix on PSA car's, so I've ordered a few bottles for my Xantia's.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nice bit of research there Mr. G.
My local factor has the range of Forte products so that's where I will likely go when I need more (have a bit of a cupboard full here for the moment though)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, that certainly is interesting extra in depth information, on the subject of heater matrix, and why they fail, thanks for that.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.