Scrap Your Xantias

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Looks like reading the details from that report.
In Germany, drivers get 2,500 euros (£2,220; $3,170) for trading in a car more than nine years old, while in France motorists can receive up to 1,000 euros. Scrappage has also recently been introduced in Spain.
That it could cause cars to get scrapped that don't warrant it, that would be classics if given some care, and looked after!

If anything it will help the lazy I.E. a car could require a small amount of money spending on it, repairing, cleaning polishing etc and it would look lovely again, but the lazy and ignorant would get rid of it, because it would seem like easy money for no effort!

Go down this road too far, and there won't be any classics in the future, and of course you increase pollution by making more cars.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Another example of this governments greed.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - this country is (probably already has) going to the dogs
Quite so....
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well the scrappage scheme is to end next month, thank goodness. If i see another new Pixo or Picanto it will be too soon!

I was passing the Ford dealer today, there is a compund around the back which is full of cars going for scrap. Golfs, fiestas etc. Today there was a lovely P reg Xantia in there, looked freshly washed and it was a TurboD. Hopefully its just parked there and will live to see another mile.

One of my mums friends scrapped her R reg TD Xantia a few months back, in favour of a new Honda CRV.

Hopefully more older cars will be safe now, so many good cars have been lost.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Citroenmad wrote:...so many good cars have been lost.
A whole generation of cars culled from the secondhand car market with
many years of service left to give not even accounting for the older rarer
generation of cars. :(

Around 300 odd THOUSAND apparently. Not the deathtraps from the sink
estates but the one's that are totally legal and roadworthy. Great idea; NOT!!

And of course the car manufacturers are in a state of 'rude health' again.
Aren't they, er NO? And they're in Germany and Japan anyway. :x :?

Definitely a brilliant idea then all dressed up as being green and yet the
World swallowed it all whole. :?

Andrew
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its not even green, its well known that to recycle an old car and make a new car takes more energy and gives out more pollution than an old car would in its entire lifetime.

New cars go wrong more often than old cars too.

And what about independant garages? All of these older cars which they used to service, repair and fix, there are now so fewer cars (300,000?) that garages will feel the pinch too. New cars will be under warrnaty for 3-7 years!

Crazy idea and now whats going to happen, surely most people who were wanting a new car and who had a 10 year old plus car has their new car. Will there be a slump in the new car market once again? Or maybe they will cut the crazy prices once this scheme is over.

And your quite right, most cars are made abroad, so how did the UK benefit from this?

Its mad to get rid of older cars, they are usually very clean running anyway, they offer cheaper transport and give better service - new cars are so complicated that they wont last as long (maybe thats the plan? Cars are throw away items now).

Where are peoples first cars now? All those old Micras, Clios, fietas that people need to gain their first mile on the road in their own car. There are fewer as a result, and on the whole prices have increased for used cars.

There have been some seriously mint cars going to scrap for no reason. All because its owner desires the current registration plate.

I can see why people buy new cars, hassle free with the warranties etc, but what happens when they are out of warranty, they are back to the same situation but left driving around in a korean matchbox.

Oh, and it was hinted at that the prices of new cars have increased during the scrappage scheme. Its either in direct relation to this or just inflation, but in the past year or two cars have shot up in price.

Take the Citroen C1, when it first appeared in 2005 it was priced from £6,500, then offers made it even cheaper. However the list price now starts at almost £9,000.

The new fiesta, starts from £11000 for a bog standard one with huge bin lids on the wheels, no air con, not even met.paint. £11K! And if you want one with toys and a diesel engine, that will be over £16K!

Maybe im well out of touch with todays finances, but that seems like crazy prices for tiny cars. Just think of the depreciation!

Obvioiusly new cars prices are rising, but that seems like an awful big rise?

Oh to be back in the 90s! My parents bought a new Xantia TD LX in 95 for £12K, bearly gets you a 1.2 Fiesta in todays money :lol: And that 16K for a fiesta diesel, back in 95, that would almost get a 2.0 Xm SX! Irrelevant i know :roll:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It`s all an overall problem of listening to "they" in the first place. News and Advertising ......selling copy and goods to the same result which is having peeps where they want them.

The unfortunate thing with the Orange of Capitalism is that there are too many people who swallow the skin and the seeds of it as well then wonder why TF they get sick :shock:

"they" will tell you anything except to stop breeding....that is what is using the resources. Maybe we only speed up the demise of a transitory species anyway.

Good car story Jim :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2