Could be time for a Xsara...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Could be time for a Xsara...

Post by addo »

White Van Man did this, running a red light. :cry:

I think it will be a total loss per the insurers, so the Xantia wagon might have a "junior" stablemate (I'm eyeing up an '00 2.0 5 speed in matching appliance white).

Some questions - would an N5 Xsara be multiplexed (hoping not)? Thinking about fitting a Xantia cruise unit. Also - are they front or rear wheel handbrake?

Thanks, Adam.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:evil:
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Is that a 147?? if so it looks like a total loss unless you buy it back and import the new bits yourself from a breaker in europe?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, it was a fairly well optioned 147, and worse still - fastidiously maintained. Fixing it would be nice, but I have that many project cars already...

The Xsara could be a new challenge; readily fulfilling most of the Alfa's duties just as well, and being half the price. Biggest drawbacks are the inferior PSA climate control, lack of a leather option, and no cruise fitted (in Oz, at least).

Regards, Adam.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Adam,

If it's a 'bug-eyed' MK2 Xsara it will be multiplexed. If it's an ealier one with the sensible headlights, then it might be MP, not sure. 2000 was about the change over I think.

The CC is not bad in the Xsara, but the A/C rads are prone to rotting out - although maybe that doesn't affect you where they don't have to bathe the roads in salt 8)
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Better the devil you know and all :) Plus cant imagine there is many 146 5 doors floating around oz so if they right it off and let you retain salvage should get more than enough to fix it up unless the chasis legs are gone in which case maybe buy it back for parts instead??
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's not that I won't go in to bat for the 147, but just the reality of what's entailed. :? With the claim form I will be submitting evidence of all the mechanical attention, and some beaut detail photos from six months back, when I gutted the car to detail it properly.

Here's the "Mini Me" OTOH:

From what RW says, it's a non-multiplexed car. That would be handy. Asking $7K (£3150) - about 2/3 of dealer prices. Cloth trim, 95K (kilometres). Figuring a 2 litre 16V in a little shell like that will go just like the Alfa did, but feel a bit more "raw"... :twisted:

Regards, Adam.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi addo

I agree with jgra1 the :evil: comment, sums up how people feel about this type of thing!

So, as this muppet ran the light, and has caused that amount damage to a rare, and well looked after car, then they have to face the consequences!

If that happened here they could be taken to court for driving without due care and attention, and ignoring a road sign/light.

Were where any witnesses?

What was the type, and size of WV that the WVM was driving, to cause that damage?

Do you have the equivalent of without due care, and attention there?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's going to get a bit ugly before it gets better. Batting for us, is a large corporation with a history of returning fire in double. Anyhow, WVM is centre of this photo.

Note the "history" of dents on the WV. :roll:

One funny thing has come up - I called to reserve traffic camera footage and was told it's 100% transient - they don't save it for even a nanosecond. Got a few mates who like to do the odd donut in empty intersections, and they were pleased to discover this detail! :lol:

Back to the Xsara. I contacted the seller and asked for a set of hi-res pictures he stated were available by email - no response yet. Last time I found a pearler of a car, I was too slow snagging it, so kind of champing at the bit this time. :?

Cheers, Adam.

p.s. Sole witness to come forward is a traffic engineer who spent many years studying intersections and driver behaviour. WVM is yet to find this out. :twisted:
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

When i click your pics i cant view the larger ones :(
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

addo wrote:
Note the "history" of dents on the WV. :roll:
Hi addo

Thanks for the picture.

Yeah it looks like it's looked after NOT!

One not so careful owner, and now he's pushed his luck, and the front of your car in. :evil:

Looking at the front of the van there is not much protection for the drivers lower limbs, you would have thought that, and the potential to get hurt would make some people drive more carefully!
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

addo wrote:
p.s. Sole witness to come forward is a traffic engineer who spent many years studying intersections and driver behaviour. WVM is yet to find this out. :twisted:
Now that's a result ! :wink:
ACTIVA

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I don't like the way events like this, are potentially cancerous to one's goodwill.

The present situation is being aggravated by a claims team member who clearly isn't reading documentation in full, nor complying with simple requests (or, offering a reason they can't comply). Whenever they are "spotted" on this matter, they go on the offensive. I've secured legal counsel preemptively. :twisted:

Haven't nabbed the Xsara simply because we cannot get clarification from the insurer of where they're at (and whether I can purchase the wreck at a fair price). $7K-odd is too much to push at a "maybe" purchase without clarity.

We're having a wet spell presently; it will make private jobs harder to get through the panel shops as they'll be bountiful with the fruits of incompetence. Out on my own I find it a hoot having the car (controllably) sliding all over, but at intersections - gee it's a real rigour...

At least my ID19 is in the bag! :D Same guy is selling a 60% restored 23 Pallas/5 spd if anyone's interested.

Cheers, Adam.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

.....Splash It All Over....

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well on a "lighter" note regarding this type of accident, and bringing a different tone :wink: to this thread, this guy ended up redecorating his vehicle. :wink: :D

Imagine the insurance claim for this one!

Hi addo did WVM reposition his load also?

If he did then it would be poetic justice, especially if he was carrying crap! :wink:
ACTIVA

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear, what a mess :lol:

Perfect for anyone who fancies a magnoila interior!!!

I assume it was paint or was it something really nasty like beaten egg or batter??
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...