More Vista troubles..??

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmm, still suffering, but it does seem to be a FCF thing - I wonder if the IP address my router has picked up is on a bad list at FCF? I sometimes get this:

"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\frenchcarforum.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\includes\
template.php(127) : eval()'d code on line 47"

Which indicates the error is in Jim's server not responding for some reason. Ho hum - perhaps it's just telling me I should be doing something more useful than TALKING about fixing cars!
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Richard,
Is your network adapter set to use DHCP (obtain IP automatically) and is your router set as a LAN DHCP server(usually the default)?

If you're unsure, do as xac previously suggested by running the command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and observing the space before the slash. Click on top left of title bar and select PROPERTIES. If not already ticked, click on QuickEdit MODE to enable copying then click OK and OK again. Highlight (dDrag left mouse button) all the results text and hit return to copy the text and then paste it into your post.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

RichardW wrote:Hmm, still suffering, but it does seem to be a FCF thing - I wonder if the IP address my router has picked up is on a bad list at FCF? I sometimes get this:

"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\frenchcarforum.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\includes\
template.php(127) : eval()'d code on line 47"

Which indicates the error is in Jim's server not responding for some reason. Ho hum - perhaps it's just telling me I should be doing something more useful than TALKING about fixing cars!
Yup that's an issue with the site, basically it made a request to the database and didn't get a response within 30 seconds.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I can't really add to what Xac has already said :D
You've explained it better than I ever could :lol:
I remember a little while back, didn't Jim do some tinkering with blocking certain IP addresses?

Seems theres more than a few of us Tech-heads on here :lol:
myglaren wrote: This one runs ten times faster on Ubuntu than Vista.
I've recently built an Ubuntu file server at work, at the stage now were im ironing out all the niggly little things, must say it was certainly a sharp learning curve bolting it onto a Windows Server 2003 network environment :lol:
In fact im warming to the idea of linux so much its currently being installed on an old laptop I have :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I did try the ipconfig, it opened up the DOS window, then all the text shot past, then Vista instantly closed it down again :roll:

DHCP enabled, and it works OK most of the time.

Anyway have more fundamental troubles at the moment - laptop has decided not to charge anymore (it's only 2 months old FFS!) so is currently U/S as the battery is flat :twisted: Trying to see if I can borrow an HP charger to find out if it's a charger or computer problem.

Fed up with it now :?
Richard W
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Sounds like you did Start > Run > ipconfig /all
You need to do Start > Run > CMD > ipconfig /all
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is only two months old, take it back, it isn't your problem but the vendors.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Laptop sent away and new power transformer supplied, all working again. FCF and some other sites still giving trouble though :evil: Found a lot of instances of 6to4 adapater not working in device manager, which after a bit of a search seems to be a common Vista problem. MS claim 'not detrimental', but I have disabled all IPv6 in the various network devices and it seems to be working. Don't know if it will stay off when I reboot - that might need a registry key adding - which scares me a bit.....

Oh for XP.... :?
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have IPv6 enabled on Vista and Ubuntu and have had no problems whatsoever.

Only site that is a real mess is the Lorus one but that may be an Opera problem.